Expansys - Sales to Taiwan not allowed

I got pissed this morning. Really pissed

As Taiwanese mobile companies & importers are not paying royalties - licenses to MS, they can not sell English Windows based devices here. Fact. (checked everywhere and mostly they can only change the firmware while loosing your warranty)

Found this site called www.expansys.com.tw operating from HK. Great, found the device I needed and ordered…

Untill i received a message this morning saying they are not allowed to export a simple mobile phone to Taiwan
Quote from the message:

[color=red][b][i][quote]Dear Customer,

Thank you for using eXpansys!
I am sorry to inform you that the item(s) namely:
Any Call i718 Pocket PC Phone
you ordered contains features / components that being categorized as

• military restricted items (WiFi, 802.11a/g, Bluetooth, GPS) - radio transmission items (GSM, CDMA mobile phone) by the customs of Taiwan.
    Importing the above items are restricted to licensee with permit for every times of importing.
    Kindly please check if you have the appropriate import license[/quote][/i][/b][/color]

What the f***. I only presume this being part of the “good” relations TW has with HK yes?
So, avoid this site if you plan to import any devices which might be a risk for this Rock… :raspberry:

It’s an import thing, transmitters are a restricted item.

So basically, everyone entering Taiwan with a mobile phone should hand it over at TTY airport … it gets worse when it has bluetooth, and wifi … so, you can not bring a laptop, PDA that has these things installed …

The import restrictions are very strict where it concerns the import of transmitting or receiving devices. My company imports such stuff, so we need to apply a license from the government and have the equipment tested with DGT.
I guess customs cannot determine if the item you want to import is for private or commercial use, so they just bar it generally.

Obviously this does not apply to bringing in a handphone that you carry yourself (hint, hint).

Thus it’s not the fault of that vendor, in fact someone not in the know may ship you the item but then it may not get through customs and it becomes your problem (even you paid already), so you should actually be grateful for them telling you and cancelling the order. Instead blame the local authorities or laws.

[quote=“Rascal”]The import restrictions are very strict where it concerns the import of transmitting or receiving devices. My company imports such stuff, so we need to apply a license from the government and have the equipment tested with DGT.
I guess customs cannot determine if the item you want to import is for private or commercial use, so they just bar it generally.

Obviously this does not apply to bringing in a handphone that you carry yourself (hint, hint).

Thus it’s not the fault of that vendor, in fact someone not in the know may ship you the item but then it may not get through customs and it becomes your problem (even you paid already), so you should actually be grateful for them telling you and cancelling the order. Instead blame the local authorities or laws.[/quote]

You’re right, Expansys appologized for the “Taiwan regulations”, though I asked why they have then 156 devices listed which can not be imported.
Time for some Hong Kong Shopping me think… or using Rascal’s company license :wink:

Oh, it’s a Taiwanese website. Didn’t see that, sorry.

No prob, as long as you pay for it. :wink:

Did they use to be Pansys? What happened?

Yeah, they “EX- pansysd” and became one of the leading Worlwide gizmo website retailers. Though not really cheap and you can only buy from within your own country…