Expat bars in Zhongli?

If you thought Zhongli was sparse, then consider Longtan to be empty. Not really much going on around at all, but I can give you a small selection of pretty much everything I consider to be decent around here. As a heads up to any expat, pretty much nobody around here does English reliably, so you gotta count on your zhongwen to get by.

Smokey’s as my friends call it, is a pub in Longtan that lives up to its nickname. Its a proper old locals bar that likely hasn’t been decorated since it opened (at a guess I’d say 70s!). Air particles consist of around 1 part oxygen to every 10 parts tobacco smoke. No english in here, but if you can get by with a little Chinese the bar girls will make you feel very welcome!

7Yunnan (one of my in-law’s restaurants) I can unashamedly say is one of the best restaurants in Longtan. Great venue, great interiors, great Yunnan/Thai/Burmese fusion food for unbelievable prices. I can’t recommend it enough, seriously.

Renaissance is a new a new-ish restaurant in town that I’ve seen a few expats frequent on occasion. Food is typically average coffee/pasta/cake kind of stuff you find everywhere else. Decor is a step up though, so its a comfortable place to visit if you’re looking for somewhere nice looking to dine.

Frank’s Texas BBQ is a good choice for some good western food - used to be over in Daxi but recently relocated to Longtan. I wouldn’t so much recommend their steaks, as I don’t think they are the greatest quality, and they are exceptionally overpriced. That said if you go for their other a la carte options, the food is pretty good, huge portions and reasonably priced. Plus they have beer on tap - win. Western diner, but no English here.

If sushi/sashimi/nigiri is your thing Zhong Pin Sushi (中品日式料理) is the best sushi place in town - really good quality fish, reasonable portions and a reasonable price. Also do a little grill, curry and ramen.

As a side note, you may or may not know of Roadies or Sammy D’s Diner. I can’t speak much to the man, but I know he’s been in expat circles for a good long time. He’s a nice chap, and just a few months back Terry from ICRT was playing a gig at his diner.

That said, I would honestly strongly recommend not dining there - its like dining in a strange mash-up of cheap diner/somebodies living room/3d printing parlour, and the food is just not up to standard. I recently forced me and my wife to return after a very long absence as they had moved venue. My lasagna was one of the driest I’ve ever eaten, and my wife’s ribs tasted exactly like the frozen ribs you get at Costco - the fact we saw it come out of a very similar looking box through the kitchen hatch has not convinced otherwise. My comments may or may not draw the ire of some folks here, and I wish I could give a glowing review, but I can’t. Eat elsewhere.