Expat-expats

[quote=“snydewynder”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“SuchAFob”][quote=“Lord Lucan”]
Why learn Chinese?
[/quote]
Because you live in a Chinese speaking country…[/quote]

True, but it really is not necessary in Taiwan.[/quote]

It depends where you live, and if you want to get more out of living here than money.[/quote]

but to add some irony to my last quote I’m really too busy(making money) to learn the language well but I can get by.

Oh, man it’s so easy … when you’re lazy … BTW, did you ever consider for a moment that there are people that don’t have the time, money or brains to learn chinese … well, for me it’s all three :smiley: :noway: or maybe they know, but are too shy to talk and make mistakes

Does anybody else find it sad that someone is using my low life handle? There is much more superior low life

Not speaking Chinese in Taiwan is like not owning a watch. There’s always someone around you can ask for the time.

again it depends where you live if your in Taidung county or Yulin good luck

[quote=“purple people eaters”]Does anybody else find it sad that someone is using my low life handle? There is much more superior low life

Back in the day?

I’ve met many a long term expat who weren’t Mandarin speakers. It often turns out that their life doesn’t allow the time required to learn or their life is such that they don’t have a pressing need to know the language. I met one such expat in a pub in Gaoxiong. Turned out he was a chef in one of the large hotels there. He was a very busy guy, working long hours that prevented him from taking classes. And, anyway, the professional language in his workplace was English-- so everyone there spoke it to him-- his wife spoke English, as did all his friends.

Everybody’s individual circumstances are different. Myself, I’ve been fortunate enough to have a flexible enough work schedule to be able to take some classes. I guess not having a local SO has also made having at least a basic understanding of the language a necessity for me, so I am able to function. However, I realise that everyone’s situation here is different. I may be able to speak a fair bit of the language here. That’s a useful skill and shows I’m not a mere one watt lightbulb. But other expats I’ve met know the ins and outs of aircraft avionics, can make works of art in a professional kitchen or know how to run successful businesses. These are skills also-- and skills worthy of admiration. Humble. Remember to be humble.

I know I

OT, but the term expat does not specifically denote executive/ engineer or any other profession you view as a higher level of being… It only refers to a citizen of a given country residing outside of it. You are free to assign whatever connotative meanings you wish to the term, I suppose. BTW, why “Engrish” teachers in the same sentence as “drifters.” Sorry, I’ve never understood the job snob attitude. As for education, an engineer has a degree and so do I.

His point may be that engineers who work here probably have an engineering degree, and many Engrish teachers do not have education degrees.

This is not a

I am a buxiban teacher and I am an ex-pat. Full stop.

I’m an expat. I have a time delineated contract. I work for two foreign concerns in positions that no local can fill. I Speak English at work. My kids got to local school = they speak Mandarin for me. I don’t brunch at Wendells and complain about my maid. I don’t hang around noisy bars filled with smoking teenagers because I choose not to. I eat any food that tastes nice and drink any bottled alcohol that comes my way. I’ve been an expat in another country and speak that language fluently. I’ll be looking for something/where else soon. I’m an expat. Thank you.

I’m a loser English teacher but I’d like to be an expat. I could drink a better grade of booze.

I’m just a white wog.

HG

I want to wear a Panama hat and sit on the verandah sipping G & T’s.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I’m just a white wog.

HG[/quote]

I thought you were pinkish. :smiling_imp:

Okay, pinkish, but definitely not chinkish . . . oops, did I say that? You know, as one gets older it gets much harder to contain one’s vowels.

HG

[quote=“joesax”]I want to wear a Panama hat and sit on the verandah sipping G & T’s.[/quote]Come on over Joe, I have a spare hat for you. :slight_smile: