Expatriates say "Anybody but Bush"

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … triates_dc

Considering the anti-Bush bias that is so prevalent on Forumosa, I see this as more of a reflection of the “expat” community than of Bush’s real chances – sort of like taking a public opinion poll in Seattle vs. Washington state.

I wonder what it is about expats that causes this? Youthfulness and a lack of life experience, or more a question of self-selection of those who dislike their birthplace so much that they choose to leave it?

Any view that there is anti-Bush bias on Forumosa is just that: a view. It is not proof of bias. The views of a few frequent posters can not be taken to be the views of the forum, nor can the views here expressed be reified as constitutive of a body of

Expats often have a higher level of education than average Americans, and thus would less likely be swayed by Bushco’s antics.

They also tend to be the sort to think for themselves and not be influenced by ‘biased’ US media coverage.

Finally, they are doing business with, and typically mingling with a variety of internationals, thereby making them more open to world views and concerns.

Bush, what he stands for, his policies and his war continue to alienate America, but it’s not something those bubbas in the local diners and pubs around the US even think about. Awareness of this, however, are integral to maintaing a life abroad, and with all the flagwaving and toestepping Bush does more harm than good. Expats see this as detrimental.

:lightbulb:

Who cares, though? Home or away, I still wouldn’t vote for the chimp!
:noway:

[quote=“Closet Queen”]

Well you have answered your own question by implying all those who oppose Bush are young, inexperienced and have a dislike of their home country, so it

alien, name me one country in the world with unbiased media.

Not the point, Flipper. The US media paints itself as being the centre of the universe, whilst other nations are only given airplay unless there’s disaster, war, or some other blight.
Of course you’re correct that all nations have their own bias on the news, I just think the US news leaves out lots of essentials which may make Americans more knowledgable about the state of the world.
For example, during 9-21 quake, i had worried friends and relatives because the news depicted the quake as having leveled Taipei city.
When we were in the US during 1994 China bombing TW straits, we were worried about friends’ safety here due to the reports on TV there. But when we talked to people here, they were all pretty nonchalant about the situation.
I think the US news particularly loves to distort things in order to ‘play up’ or ‘play down’ situations for entertainment value. The terrorist threat is a major one they like to use. :saywhat:

Perhaps they do, but Alien’s suggestion is backed up by research. Demographic studies of expatriates (taken as professional people), such as those done by the Economist show that they do have high levels of education and skills. Whether that makes them more “intelligent” is moot.

When it became apparent that Bush would take over the White House, I was willing to give him a fair chance. However, as soon as he nominated Alien’s avatar for appointment as US Attorney General, he lost whatever support I could muster for his Presidency.

Naming a Christian zealot to the highest law enforcement position in the government may have played well with the Ralph Reeds of the world, but it made this expat an “anybody but Bush” person from the get go. If Bush wants my vote, tell him to dump the religious right.

Smerf:

How is Ashcroft a religious zealot? Evidence please or is that just your impression based on what you have gleaned from the very media that posters here are criticizing and why oh why would one appointment make or break your view of the Bush presidency?

Second, expats historically have voted Republican in wide margins. I believe 80 percent was the figure that I saw but would be damned pressed to see if I could find that again. As you were saying about intelligence…

Also, hate to blow the conservative horn, but look who has the best historical knowledge and grasp of facts on these threads. The Liberals? I don’t think so…

Personally, I am not Bush’s biggest fan, but considering that the opponent will likely be John Kerry, I will be voting for Bush in November.

Kerry reminds me of Michael Dukakis. Having grown up in the Boston media market (but thankfully in NH and not Mass.), I had to put up with all of their nonsense growing up.

Also, Kerry’s stance on Taiwan will make it impossible for me to vote for him.

[quote=“ludahai”]Personally, I am not Bush’s biggest fan, but considering that the opponent will likely be John Kerry, I will be voting for Bush in November.

Kerry reminds me of Michael Dukakis. Having grown up in the Boston media market (but thankfully in NH and not Mass.), I had to put up with all of their nonsense growing up.

Also, Kerry’s stance on Taiwan will make it impossible for me to vote for him.[/quote]

Well, damn. I had hoped to cancel fred smith’s vote, but yours will do.

?

Let Us Pray
Attorney General John Ashcroft has led regular early-morning prayer meetings in his government office, according to the February issue of Vanity Fair. A lawyer who left the Justice Department said employees were reluctant to object for fear of retribution. Ashcroft, son of a Pentecostal preacher, also likened himself to Jesus Christ in his memoir, Lessons From a Father to His Son, referring to his political defeats and victories as “crucifixions” and “resurrections.” (Ashcroft famously lost the Missouri senatorial race to a dead man.) More disturbing to DOJ employees was their new boss’s move after he joined the office. Ashcroft excised the phrases “We are proud of the Justice Department” and “There is no higher calling than public service” from department letters. His staff explained his reason: “Pride is one of the seven deadly sins… There is a higher calling than public service, which is a service to God.”

http://www.wired.com/news/archive/0,2618,2004-01-15,00.html

I will vote for John Kerry, Harry Carey, or Jim Carey before Bush.

Interesting that these issues only come up when the person involved is a Christian. Lieberman was hailed as a practicing Jew and I am sure that any Muslim that would run would be feted for his commitment to his values and religion, but Christian, what the hell can the man be thinking? After all, such values as compassion, justice and freedom only stem from this particular religious tradition. We have seen what the godless atheists have given us: communism and the godless right: fascism and the multiculti crowd: promiscuity, drug use, broken families, but hell, a Christian? What can Bush be thinking?! hee hee hee tick tock tick tock

[quote=“fred smith”]Interesting that these issues only come up when the person involved is a Christian. Lieberman was hailed as a practicing Jew and I am sure that any Muslim that would run would be feted for his commitment to his values and religion, but Christian, what the hell can the man be thinking? After all, such values as compassion, justice and freedom only stem from this particular religious tradition. We have seen what the godless atheists have given us: communism and the godless right: fascism and the multiculti crowd: promiscuity, drug use, broken families, but hell, a Christian? What can Bush be thinking?! hee hee hee tick tock tick tock[/quote]Oh, boofuckinghoo. I think it’s pretty obvious that Smerf and Richardm arent’ objecting to Aschcroft being a Christian, but to him being a fundamentalist Christian who innapporpriately brings his beliefs to work. Has Lieberman done the same? I don’t know. If he has, then he’s just as open to criticism as Ashcroft. His “commitment to his values and religion” are his business. They should not translate into a commitment to make civil servants adopt the same religion or values if they have absolutely nothing to do with running a tight justice department. If you want Christianity to be the state religion, then campaign to add such an amendment to the constitution. Otherwise, keep your religion to yourself when at work for the government.

[quote=“Alien”]Not the point, Flipper. The US media paints itself as being the centre of the universe, whilst other nations are only given airplay unless there’s disaster, war, or some other blight.
Of course you’re correct that all nations have their own bias on the news, I just think the US news leaves out lots of essentials which may make Americans more knowledgable about the state of the world.
For example, during 9-21 quake, I had worried friends and relatives because the news depicted the quake as having leveled Taipei city.
When we were in the US during 1994 China bombing TW straits, we were worried about friends’ safety here due to the reports on TV there. But when we talked to people here, they were all pretty nonchalant about the situation.
I think the US news particularly loves to distort things in order to ‘play up’ or ‘play down’ situations for entertainment value. The terrorist threat is a major one they like to use. :saywhat:[/quote]

everything you described could also be attributed to the french media. or german media. or british media. let’s not even talk about the media in asian countries like taiwan or south korea. the fact that you would single out the american media reeks of a double standard.

expats who get their news from the bbc and then comment smugly about biased american media always make me chuckle. hey, it’s foreign, how could it be biased?

The Ku Klux Klan calls itself a Christian brotherhood.

Maybe the opposition does stem from this label of Ashcroft as a

How is anti bussing pro segregationist?

I think that Ashcroft has been somewhat smeared but hey show me anything that he has done that is illegal now and you get a brownie or two.

Rock on BBC and the Guardian too. NOT.

Per usual, you jump to extremes, I guess that fits with the extreme religious leanings and scare tactics of our AG. I have no problems with Christianity, heck, all my immediate family members are Christians. But, I simply do not have enough “faith” in the man to be certain that he won’t be called upon by God to use his powers to rectify Satan’s influence on our Constitution.

Tick tock tick tock.

Anyway, now that I have had my fun. I don’t know, but would love some proof of how Ashcroft has abused his position to promote his Christian values and how this has made him unfit for his job. Oh I don’t know just one fact or two perhaps would do…