Expats thinking of coming here: Holiday Allowance

Don’t forget there are no public holidays in Taiwan when negotiating your time off. You get five days for Chinese New Year, and two or three days sprinkled throughout the year, usually on a Saturday or Sunday. Anyone coming here from the UK with its statutory 20 days plus public holidays is in for a big surprise. Consider yourselves warned.

Happy Easter Holidays to all. :fume:

In my very limited experience with Teaching English here, it seems that I’m able to get as much time off as I want. I’m the only foriegn teacher at my schools, so deny me my time off, and I quit…fire me and you’re fucked…but give me the time off and I’ll be your best friend, and help you out when you need me to.

Yeah, there aren’t really that much public holidays here. Loved the Malaysian practice of “repeating” a PH: if the PH is on a Sunday, the Monday will be off.
However in comparision to most European countries you can take time off (with your boss’ approval) during working hours, e.g. if you need to go to the bank, get your scooter fixed etc. - usually no leave will be deducted for this.

What? If the holiday is on a weekend, don’t they give it on the closest Friday or Monday?

I’m so accustomed to 3-day weekends. Are there any? How many and when?

Don’t worry. You get used to it after the first couple of years. :laughing:

Easter’s a crap holiday anyway. Who wants a Friday night with Sunday closing at the pubs? Or have they done away with that now?

So who’s getting four days off for Tomb Sweeping next week?

3 day weekends time to hit the airways… thailand, RP, HK, etc.

[quote=“tango42”]What? If the holiday is on a weekend, don’t they give it on the closest Friday or Monday?

I’m so accustomed to 3-day weekends. Are there any? How many and when?[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This is Taiwan, the answer is NO! If the holiday falls on a weekend there is no make-up day. And if a holiday falls mid-week any day you take off to connect it with the nearest weekend comes out of your annual leave.

It’s one factor that attracts me to a job in a UK university which I have just been offered. I think I might have more time to enjoy Taiwan working there and visiting for a month or so in the summer than I do as a wage-slave in Taipei.

Make-up days have been given here in Taiwan - however they mostly prefer to take the make-up days and add them to CNY.

Be your own boss, then you can take holidays when you feel like it, and no customers are calling - IE never.

I don’t mean to gloat but I was getting 54 paid days off a year.

That’s every sunday and 2 days off for CNY.

I don’t have to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Tuesday for Tomb Sweeping. Wednesday I start at 2pm.

Hmmmm, beaches.

Adding them on to CNY? Never heard of that.

When I was in England I got 25 days paid leave plus about 10 days in public holidays and taxed at an effective rate of 24% and then again at 17% when I spent it.

On balance - I’ll take Taiwan.

Why is this information only expats who want to reside in Taiwan? I thought an expat was (fill the blank…)

In any case expats get their vacation times written into their contracts so we don’t need to worry for them.

I get around 2 - 3 months a year vacation time. I’ve just had this last week off at home by choice. My missus likes to see me lol :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Now that the Super 12 rugby season is on and the first game is on Friday at 2:20pm then I don’t work Fridays for awhile.

This is one of those topics I’m scared to bring up in a job interview, because it might give the impression that I’m just a backpacker who wants to take vacations. But this thread makes me think that bringing up the subject will be necessary in Taiwan.

How does one go about discussing vacation time with a potential employer?

[quote=“violet”]This is one of those topics I’m scared to bring up in a job interview, because it might give the impression that I’m just a backpacker who wants to take vacations. But this thread makes me think that bringing up the subject will be necessary in Taiwan.

How does one go about discussing vacation time with a potential employer?[/quote]

Don’t be afraid to ask… you must put those conditions in your contract.
Then later on you won’t have arguments about what was promised verbally… Some schools ask people to make up teaching days when public holidays fall on a weekday.

Wow, is that your real attitude?

I wouldn’t allow myself to be held hostage to any teacher and their time off.

I’d be fair, but not a walk over.

It doesn’t matter so much for buxiban teachers anyway as they don’t get paid leave. I was talking about paid annual leave.

And Bassman, most schools I am familiar with tell you you can take X amount of time off, unpaid of course, and then when it comes to it they just refuse to let you take it off. A teacher I once worked with had been teaching 5 years at the school and signed a new contract on the express condition that he would be allowed 3 weeks off at a certain time to do a certain thing, and when it came down to it they wouldn’t give it to him. So he packed up and went home. Which is fair enough.

What with buxiban English teachers’ wages going through the floor here (I have never known them so low in 13 years) you’d think the schools would be a bit more flexible on the time off, but I suppose when supply outsrtips demand they don’t have to be…

I get 4 weeks paid vacation time off (including 2 weeks at CNY) as well as national holidays, when and if they happen to fall on a weekday. Looking at the calendar for this year, it’s hard to believe that there’s supposed to be a 72% chance of having a certain date fall during the week. If nothing else, it’s a good sign to play the lottery.