Experiences at TamKang Bilingual School?

Are you certified? If you have a teacher’s certification you can work in public schools. They ask for 20-22 hours a week but with a PHD you’d make around 85,000 NT a month at least. Paid holidays and a month’s leave. You might have a problem with the heat though because they don’t like to use the AC. You could find a job no problem to start in August.

1 Like

with a pgdip, 68k isn’t a bit low?

Very low.
But the OP is ethnic Chinese / Taiwanese which is a huge setback.

1 Like

people outside of international schools don’t know what a PGD and QTS are worth on the free market. However no one in a Taiwanese run school is going to magically pay you more for doing what a BA + 7 hour Tesol can do.

As @Pinoco pointed out, if the OP is a licensed teacher with a pgdim with 2 yr experience at a regular school in NZ, I think a public school position will pay 78k or something, and they shall use a uniform pay scale to ethnic Chinese / Taiwanese. Unless the license is for tesol.

OP might prefer teaching condition at a private school, though.

One thing to remember: Tamkang should be commended for hiring on ability vs colour of hair. Last time I checked they have Dominicans, ABCs and all sorts of other unexpected foreign language teachers. Whoever it was who convinced the management to dare and try to be inclusive should be applauded.

Yes, I am a fully certified teacher but don’t have a PHD so would only be making $62k a year. Would prefer an air conditioned classroom!

I’m pretty sure I’d only get $62k at a public school… but I should check that! I’m a fully licensed/certified/registered teacher through the Education Council of New Zealand.

I thought pgdim is equivalent to PhD. If not, I think 68k is just right. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. Do you think I should try my luck and apply for a teaching position at the British Council?

Why not? I wouldn’t turn down the first offer until you heard back though.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a pgdim?

I could never work in a standard buxiban either… shudder. Do you know anything about the British Council positions? Are they analogous?

I’m sorry, I don’t. But I know enough, that working for the British Council would be nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah, I will definitely keep the Danshui school as “back-up”. I’m in two minds about leaving this post up - worried they might see it. Oh no worries - PGDip = postgraduate diploma. A one year intensive course with at least two practicums/placements for teachers. My undergrad background is in law, sociology and film studies.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’ll find you if your real name isn’t listed here. Maybe change your avatar to something other than your real picture, if you’re concerned.

Haha I literally just did that! :laughing:

2 Likes

Truth be told, I’m not really Archer either. :wink:

Anyway, good luck! I’m sure whatever you decide, you’ll land a good gig.

Holy shit snacks, you’re NOT?!

Cheers! Thanks heaps :smile:

1 Like

Teaching at the British Council is a buxiban job. Albeit with guaranteed salary, sick leave, paid vacation. It’s kind of at the upper end of the buxiban pay range. For 18 contact hours a week and 9 office hours you’ll get about 72k with 950 an hour for every hour of overtime taught. These numbers might be out of date.

It’s a good deal by Taiwanese buxiban standards. You’ll still be teaching at the weekend and in the evening.

I enjoyed working there, they’re a good bunch of people, but it’s not great if you have a family.

1 Like

Ah, I see… Thank you for taking the time to share. Not super keen anymore, want to keep my weekends/weeknights to myself.