Explanation of Cricket

Saw the thread about Dizzy Gillespie (sp?) and just thought I would wonder aloud.

I understand the rules (I’m British and had to play as a kid) but honestly can anyone explain the attraction of the game? Or better yet tell me of a more tedious sport?

He used to get his cheeks to puff way way out.

It even has a medical name – Gillespie’s Pouches.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Saw the thread about Dizzy Gillespie (sp?) and just thought I would wonder aloud.

I understand the rules (I’m British and had to play as a kid) but honestly can anyone explain the attraction of the game? Or better yet tell me of a more tedious sport?[/quote]

the fact a game can go on for 5 straight days, to-ing and fro-ing in terms of who is dominating play… bitter struggles, heartbreak, heart ache and loss… and for it to possibly end in a draw and for both teams to accept that and go have beers together and laugh about the previous weeks play… that is the beauty of cricket.

[quote=“AWOL”][quote=“Edgar Allen”]Saw the thread about Dizzy Gillespie (sp?) and just thought I would wonder aloud.

I understand the rules (I’m British and had to play as a kid) but honestly can anyone explain the attraction of the game? Or better yet tell me of a more tedious sport?[/quote]

the fact a game can go on for 5 straight days, to-ing and fro-ing in terms of who is dominating play… bitter struggles, heartbreak, heart ache and loss… and for it to possibly end in a draw and for both teams to accept that and go have beers together and laugh about the previous weeks play… that is the beauty of cricket.[/quote]
I don’t understand the rules. Is there a website somewhere that explains it for dummies?

Here’s a starter for you

[quote]Cricket is a game invented by a British think tank made up of the blokes who invented the world

www.google.com

“rules of cricket”

[quote=“AWOL”]www.google.com

“rules of cricket”[/quote]
Usually that’s what happens when you ask someone about cricket. It’s like if you don’t already know then you never will. That’s cool I’ll stick to baseball.

[quote=“Richardm”][quote=“AWOL”]www.google.com

Usually that’s what happens when you ask someone about cricket. It’s like if you don’t already know then you never will. That’s cool I’ll stick to baseball.[/quote]
Well, if you’d done a google search, you would have found:
Dangermouse’s Explanation of Cricket - which attempts to describe the basics for someone who knows about baseball …

You have two sides, one out, and one in.

Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in, and the next man goes in until he’s out.

When they’re all out, the side that’s out comes in, and the side that’s been in goes out, and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men in, and not out.

When both sides have been in and out, including the not outs, That’s the end of the game.

It’s too late. The moment has passed. I don’t care to ever know anything at all about cricket.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]You have two sides, one out, and one in.

Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in, and the next man goes in until he’s out.

When they’re all out, the side that’s out comes in, and the side that’s been in goes out, and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men in, and not out.

When both sides have been in and out, including the not outs, That’s the end of the game.[/quote]

I think I better stick with the part when they start drinking beer together and just skip the 5 days of in and out and out and in and so on.

Exactly my point. I know people who go to the cricket just for the beer (which I can understand) but what about the guys who sit and watch it on TV for days and get excited about it?

I would seriously rather put a pin in each eyeball than watch a day of cricket, never mind 5 days! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Exactly my point. I know people who go to the cricket just for the beer (which I can understand) but what about the guys who sit and watch it on TV for days and get excited about it?

I would seriously rather put a pin in each eyeball than watch a day of cricket, never mind 5 days! :p[/quote]

and you said you were english? i find that hard to believe after that comment :slight_smile:

[quote=“AWOL”]www.google.com

:laughing:

you’re cruel :cry:

[quote=“Richardm”]It’s too late. The moment has passed. I don’t care to ever know anything at all about cricket.[/quote]You don’t want to know about leg slips, full tosses, sticky wickets, foward short legs, or silly points ?

I think you are teasing.

I actually know what three of them mean. :astonished:

I thought cricket was boring, until I watched a game of baseball on TV during the recent World Baseball Challenge on one of the sports channels here. :unamused:

In the words of Homer Simpson, at a baseball game in the episode where he gave up beer for a month: “I never realised how boring this game really is!”

[quote=“taipei_swan”]
I thought cricket was boring, until I watched a game of baseball on TV during the recent World Baseball Challenge on one of the sports channels here. :unamused:

In the words of Homer Simpson, at a baseball game in the episode where he gave up beer for a month: “I never realised how boring this game really is!”[/quote]
You got that right. Though American football takes top honours for snooze-appeal, I’d say.