Exploiting Kpop's popularity for romantic gains

I just saw this video, which was live five days ago.

An Italian girl grew up a Kpop fan. Wanted to go to Korea, but it wasn’t available. Went to China instead, dated a Chinese dude who was kinda controlling, then dated and married a Taiwanese dude.

She said in another video she’s only dated Asian guys.

Confirmed my trickle-down theory of Korean guys getting first dibs, but the rest of us benefit too.

3 Likes

How am I benefitting from K-pop? I’m actually curious. Maybe it helps weed out women with low IQs? :thinking:

7 Likes

:popcorn:

2 Likes

Oh sorry. I was speaking of Asian dudes. Kpop inserts us into the romantic imagination from which Hollywood shuts us out.

3 Likes

OK, but would you want women attracted to you because of romantic notions about Asian guys they gleaned from K-pop pablum rather than your own personal attributes? Doesn’t seem like this would make for a meaningful romantic relationship (or even a very good one-night stand).

2 Likes

I don’t like that studio. Very manufactured choices of videos. Hanging out like a bad smell at some students dorms or backpackers hostels.

1 Like

If they’re not attracted to you they won’t care about your attributes.

2 Likes

I look nothing like a K-pop idol, so I’d worry about my date’s ability to reason if she’s into me merely for the “Asianess” proximity to K-pop…

Anyway, not a solid foundation for a relationship.

That being said, if you just want to use it as an exploit, then do it fast, cause it’s only a fad, and it would be as lame as Twilight in a few years.

3 Likes

OK, I see what you’re saying. Just something to funnel the women in your general direction. Does this mean you have to pretend to be interested in K-pop though?

1 Like

I couldn’t if I tried. At least not for long.

1 Like

So has this “K-pop pipeline” paid any dividends so far?

Well, i’ve heard that Korean is the French of the Far East

우라라

4 Likes

In the US I’ve made out with one Texan girl who said shes had a blast watching Kpop videos.

When I was in Colombia a Tinder date was saying how much she liked loved the culture (not just Kpop but K-drama, and the technology [Samsung, Xiaomi, etc.]. And more tellingly, she said 90% of Latinas share her preferences.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed those Latina Asian pop culture groupies. Seems like a strange subculture, but some of them are pretty hot, so…

3 Likes

Eyo, Xiaomi ain’t Korean.

1 Like

She was talking about Asian culture in general at that point in the conversation.

This is true for countries along the Andes. I can’t confirm for Brazil.

I think a younger generation of people from the less wealthy countries of Europe and the Americas grow up with the image of Asian people being super rich (China) or have great pop culture (Korea). I mean… it’s not a bad thing, but not really all that great either.

Americas yes. Based on what I read on this board, Europeans think Asia is totally backwards.

But I think that works to your advantage, because Europe is classist. If you’re middle class looking Asian person, they’ll think you’re some royalty.

In college, there was one girl who was really into Kpop that was into me. We had a good time.

2 Likes