Exploring Taiwanese Indie/Rock Scene

I wish I knew about these bands when I was living in Taiwan and studying Chinese! All that time I was forcing myself to listen to Jolin Tsai, S.H.E., etc. for language immersion even though I couldn’t stand the music. I’ve met very few Taiwanese people who are into indie rock music and I certainly never heard it when I was out and about. I know heavy metal and punk has a thriving scene in Taiwan, but I can’t really get into it.

2 Likes

I suppose not, if you’re into that kind of thing. I guess I was expecting something a little more creative. Like that Outlet Drift stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks for the listening recommendation :+1:

1 Like

Thank @JanD

1 Like

I listen to a good chunk of those but some great recommendations on here! Sweet John is also my fav :smile:
Adding to the list, my recent obsession has been Astro Bunny - High

If you like Sonic Youth, try Insecteens:

Seems they’ve only released one album, but the main guy is still around and playing concerts.

Aiyo that film clip was a little gruesome, why so violent? Pity as I like their sound.

Definitely some elements of Sonic Youth in the guitar… but not crazy about the vocals

Nothing wrong with that… I did like the song… just that I wouldn’t categorize it as Indie Rock…

Another great and popular indie rock band that I love: 老王樂隊

1 Like

i saw sweet john last night without even realizing it until they started playing songs i recognized. i’m a not a true fan.

1 Like

Yeah I agree this band is good unlike the other recommendations earlier in the thread.

1 Like

choice, thank you.

“featuring plenty of songs in Taiwanese Hokkien — a colloquial dialect”

Oh do fuck off :roll:

Also Legacy actually is in Huashan.

Other than that not a bad look. Except he ignores all the indigenous bands and singers making waves right now, and most of the grassroots bands singing purely in Taiwanese.

1 Like

Adding another one to the list: My Jinji by Sunset RollerCoaster

Ah, yes! Looks like the best thread for me to start contributing.

Some more Taiwanese artists to check out

Constant & Change

那我懂你的意思了

Cicada (Instrumental only)

3 Likes