Expose false accusers?

People on here, certain people, like to observe (seemingly exclusively) the behaviours of new posters. If a new poster exhibits deviation from expected norms these posters will publicly begin slinging round accusations of smurfing.
These accusations are not damage free. They dig at the integrity of the site. Of course, these accusers always claim to have some piece of knowledge which they can’t share, usually the identity of the person they think is the smurf. “I just know. Trust me.”

Anyway, whats the disincentive for an accuser to stop this damaging public behaviour? We, the proles, never find out if a poster was a smurf or not if they stop posting. We don’t know the accuracy rates of the accusers. Maybe a little stat on the profile would be good.

Number of smurf allegations made: 50
Number of correct allegations: 2

Something like that.

You just don’t understand Forumosan culture. :smiley:

Seriously, though, I respect where you’re coming from and I like the fact that you tend to be a guy who sticks up for people.

I agree that accusations, of any type, ought to be backed up with evidence. I think not doing so flies in the face of Rule 2.

1. Treat people with respect. Be civilized. Discuss the message, not the messenger.

[quote=“superking”]People on here, certain people, like to observe (seemingly exclusively) the behaviours of new posters. If a new poster exhibits deviation from expected norms these posters will publicly begin slinging round accusations of smurfing.
These accusations are not damage free. They dig at the integrity of the site.[/quote]
Are you being purposefully obtuse? There is a certain pattern of behaviour on internet forums (particularly Taiwan expat websites) that lends credence to troll/smurf validity. Calling yourself “andylin”, “bettylu”, mikechen_101" is one example. Using obviously atrocious grammar is another.

“Dig at the integrity of the site”? Please. Don’t make me laugh and spew Scotch on my keyboard. People spend valuable time replying to these clowns; supplying useful information. Meanwhile they’re sitting back, giggling, taking the piss.

The “integrity of the site” is ultimately compromised by trusting in the “integrity” of the cretins who are having a laugh at the kind, generous people who take their nonsense at face value.

I can smell them from a mile away, and I’m correct 99% of the time. It’s sad for the 1% who of wanting to improve at the English and of having the noble intentions of want meeting of the foreigner.

“Integrity”? Oh, please. :unamused:

You may have noticed that I, amongst numerous others, have given up posting here for this reason. Why bother wasting your time posting useful information that JackieChen007 is going to be taking the piss out of?

Number me amongst the “false accusers” you wish to “expose”. :thumbsup:

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“superking”]People on here, certain people, like to observe (seemingly exclusively) the behaviours of new posters. If a new poster exhibits deviation from expected norms these posters will publicly begin slinging round accusations of smurfing.
These accusations are not damage free. They dig at the integrity of the site.[/quote]
Are you being purposefully obtuse? There is a certain pattern of behaviour on internet forums (particularly Taiwan expat websites) that lends credence to troll/smurf validity. Calling yourself “andylin”, “bettylu”, mikechen_101" is one example. Using obviously atrocious grammar is another.

“Dig at the integrity of the site”? Please. Don’t make me laugh and spew Scotch on my keyboard. People spend valuable time replying to these clowns; supplying useful information. Meanwhile they’re sitting back, giggling, taking the piss.

The “integrity of the site” is ultimately compromised by trusting in the “integrity” of the cretins who are having a laugh at the kind, generous people who take their nonsense at face value.

I can smell them from a mile away, and I’m correct 99% of the time. It’s sad for the 1% who of wanting to improve at the English and of having the noble intentions of want meeting of the foreigner.

“Integrity”? Oh, please. :unamused:

You may have noticed that I, amongst numerous others, have given up posting here for this reason. Why bother wasting your time posting useful information that JackieChen007 is going to be taking the piss out of?

Number me amongst the “false accusers” you wish to “expose”. :thumbsup:[/quote]
If you are really a hero sweeping our flob free of smurfs you should be rewarded with a thread showing all your fine work. Now you look like some chump who simply makes some slurs regarding how language is used. If your service is vital you should be made to look a hero. Now you only look like a morose misery. All I can imagine are genuine users driven away by public rudeness. Someone on high here should be helping you.

Personally, if a smurf asks a Q which sparks a high level of convo among other users I care very little regarding motivations behind asking da Q.

If Betty Lin is exposed as a smurf we should be allowed to know. If a bunch of posters have ganged up on a genuine new poster we should be allowed to know.

If I ask you a Q on a public info site and I don’t heed your advice was your advice of no use for another person? Does, ‘Do a search, newb?’ have some meaning? Is content here a resource? Useful info is useful info. So in conclusion you pull your content and go elsewhere. So are forumosa mods unhelpful? Are bosses uncaring regarding smurfs? Does all our content only have use if a genuine person asks a Q? Is your absence of valuable content a form of protest? If I ask a Q on here while I am naked is my Q now invalid?

Anyway, are we all smurfs anyway? My real name is not superking, and your name is not Jimi. 99% of people on here wouldnt be able to identify me in a physical line up of 2 people. We are all largely anonymous.

Yeah but we don’t all pretend to be people we are not, there is a significant difference there.

[quote=“jimipresley”]
Number me amongst the “false accusers” you wish to “expose”. :thumbsup:[/quote]
:no-no: :no-no: :no-no: :no-no: :no-no: stop looking for opportunities to expose yourself.

So your real name is headhonchoII? Wow.

We don’t all find such a big deal in knowing WHO asked a Qu. and WHY. Some people find a rudeness in new people being dumped on. Some people find a rudeness in having English chopped up by a native and chucked back as if poor use of English is an offence. Some people find an oddness in such behaviours. Some people wonder why some people wonder.

There’s being relatively anonymous and there is pretending to be a different sex, nationality, or somebody else entirely than who you are, just to get off on people’s reactions.

There you go again, expressing your love for me in obtuse insults. I’m deeply touched that you would afford me such emotive generosity. :thumbsup:

“Genuine users driven away by public rudeness”? :roflmao: Are you out of your mind?

Gao Bohan, Ironlady, Headhoncho and Tempo Gain are about the only “genuine users” around here anymore. It’s a fucking smurf circus. Sorry, caveat, there are some spammers and trolls, too.

Why don’t you change your user name to superkingchen_20_teacher and join in the fun, too?

Stop taking the piss, kid. I’m MORE than up for it. :wink:

How does a genuinely good question become less so if a moron asks it? You should be addressing a post. You should answer a Qu. You shouldn’t worry who asks. All such geegaws like profiles and postcount and avatars make us feel closer. In reality you can’t say for sure if I am a man. Or if I am in London. Or if I was ever in another country. Are we in a relationship whereby you’d feel angry if 2 years from now you discover I am merely a super advanced version of turing’s test and not human? Are you emotionally invested in who I am? Surely not.

Edit: Also, if you are angry in a situation should you care more for the anger you have displayed or the antecedent? Or else why care if a stranger is inappropriately (for you) delighted by your behaviour? I fall and break my leg and someone I never met laughs seeing me as I fall. Should I care for my broken leg or the laugh?

Stop playing dumb, superking. There’s a vast moral difference between someone creating a separate account to ask for advice about being in trouble with the MAN and some bored, stupid little bloke sitting in Tainan, pretending to be a Malaysian lass wanting to “teach of the Inglish” in Taiwan, merely to get a rise and take the piss. As I said before, stop being purposefully obtuse.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“superking”]
If you are really a hero sweeping our flob free of smurfs you should be rewarded with a thread showing all your fine work. Now you look like some chump who simply makes some slurs regarding how language is used. If your service is vital you should be made to look a hero. Now you only look like a morose misery. All I can imagine are genuine users driven away by public rudeness. Someone on high here should be helping you.
[/quote]
There you go again, expressing your love for me in obtuse insults. I’m deeply touched that you would afford me such emotive generosity. :thumbsup:

“Genuine users driven away by public rudeness”? :roflmao: Are you out of your mind?

Gao Bohan, Ironlady, Headhoncho and Tempo Gain are about the only “genuine users” around here anymore. It’s a fucking smurf circus. Sorry, caveat, there are some spammers and trolls, too.

Why don’t you change your user name to superkingchen_20_teacher and join in the fun, too?

Stop taking the piss, kid. I’m MORE than up for it. :wink:[/quote]

I am not taking the piss, adult. So only 4 genuine users here… huh? Everyone else is a smurf a spammer or a troll? Jimi… c’mon.

If you and your ilk are doing a genuine service you should be given praise in public by site bosses. If you and your ilk are not doing a genuine service you should be warned and asked to desist.

PLEASE, I wish to know how you know such a thing. HOW do you know of who this person is? HOW? When will we be made aware? Simple people like me clearly need more education here. Saying I am playing dumb is also wrong. I am genuine here. HOW do you know? Why are we all allowed to be in the dark? All I see is your accusation and some assertion I ALSO am trolling here. Who is Betty? Why are you unable to be praised for your work?

So prove they’re smurfs. Is a little evidence too much to ask before the public floggings?

It’s not playing dumb when you’re desktop psychoanalysing. :2cents:

[quote=“superking”]
We don’t all find such a big deal in knowing WHO asked a Qu. and WHY. Some people find a rudeness in new people being dumped on. Some people find a rudeness in having English chopped up by a native and chucked back as if poor use of English is an offence. Some people find an oddness in such behaviours. Some people wonder why some people wonder.[/quote]
“Oh, I see. What we got here is a crusader…”
:aiyo:
Given the vast amount of spam, and a fair number of trolls, I think it is quite fair for any newbies with faulty diction to have to run some sort of gauntlet.
Poor diction I consider an insult to the intellect. Without a doubt, these modern times have led to a severe dumbing down of the English language. Orwell must be rolling over quite frequently.

If a forum is going to hold any value at all, then proper use of language should be a top priority. I think it is an abominable that anyone would dare to post sloppy diction, and expect others to put up with it. That is selfishness of the first order.
This is not fakebook, a puerile chat room or a self-indulgent blog style outlet for someone’s random gibberish.

A certain standard must be maintained, otherwise we are all the worse for it. Why should anyone put up with folks that cannot or will not make a concerted effort to make their post readable? Anthing less is an insult to the intelligence, let alone the eyes, of anyone on this site that actually can put together a coherent sentence.

Brutal honesty: 99% of posters accused of smurfing/trolling ARE actually smurfing/trolling. The 1% that are miss-accused are collateral damage. If a website operates under the supposition of integrity amongst its contributors, it’s going to fail. Simple as that.

[quote=“superking”]People on here, certain people, like to observe (seemingly exclusively) the behaviours of new posters. If a new poster exhibits deviation from expected norms these posters will publicly begin slinging round accusations of smurfing.
These accusations are not damage free. They dig at the integrity of the site. Of course, these accusers always claim to have some piece of knowledge which they can’t share, usually the identity of the person they think is the smurf. “I just know. Trust me.”

Anyway, whats the disincentive for an accuser to stop this damaging public behaviour? We, the proles, never find out if a poster was a smurf or not if they stop posting. We don’t know the accuracy rates of the accusers. Maybe a little stat on the profile would be good.

Number of smurf allegations made: 50
Number of correct allegations: 2

Something like that.[/quote]

Its a messageboard, the domain of dorks, so feelings get hurt easily.

I was summarily banned bi-weekly my first year and a half posting here.

I talk a lot of shit and give opinions, people don’t like this, especially those with delicate sensibilities, and there is a lot of that here.

I actually think it is better here than before, a lot of the ‘too cool for fools’ crowd left for Taiwanease where they spend their days summarily discussing how great their insights to TW are and how awesome every gets along.

Its milk toast, this place has gotten slightly spicier and that is a good thing.

Everybody has their favourite troll or ‘he/she of past the second standard deviation’ to support, I chose Tommy*. The rest can take a hike :slight_smile:.

Note any relationship of Tommy to a troll is entirely coincidental and probably due to his cat’s hair sticking to him as he uses it to dry himself off after stepping out of the Roman baths he frequents in San Fran.

Just posted in another forum on this planet’ by our favourite troll we love to hate/innocent victim of rabid San Chong Grammer Nazis.

[i][quote]I am totally agree ESL teacher really hardcore.In this forum is the best way to expressed all stressed.Sharing feeling.Dont ever think you are wise because No one is as wise as God.

We are here discussing,insulting(maybe),make fun or FUCKING OFF.Well,thats fine.It depends how you take it,positively or negatively.MrslinTROLL or TROLLlin,NO MIND.I know whats going on and teaching still on here.sigh!

I can feel how frustrating you guys teaching in Taiwan.Suddenly,I have a feel that I am lucky not to teach in Taiwan.

Honestly,hamlettaiwan advice is really helpful,whereas ironlady is a BIG jealousy,dont think she can survive long in chinese country.Some are foreign FUN teachers…hehehhe

Come on guys,a glass of penfolds can help to release stress…ehheheh CHEERSSS

Oh ya,sincerely I score distinction in IELTS.Not sure what makes it happen.I gonna check with British Council. [/quote][/i]

Dude has more time on his hands than me!

[quote=“jimipresley”]Gao Bohan, Ironlady, Headhoncho and Tempo Gain are about the only “genuine users” around here anymore. It’s a fucking smurf circus. Sorry, caveat, there are some spammers and trolls, too.
[/quote]
:noway: :noway: How dare you?? You accuse me of being a smurf??? I’m not genuine?? I have a heart of gold. I’m pure, virtuously genuiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnneeee. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: YOu hurt me Jimi, hurt me bad bwa hahahahahahah