Extend visa or do a visa run?

Hello, I’m travelling to Taiwan (and out of my home country for the first time!) for the summer and was wondering if I could could get some advice regarding visas.

A little background info:
I’m a Canadian citizen.
I’m arriving on the 27th of April and will leave on September 1st. (A total of 128 days)
I will be attending Wenhua Daxue for a 2 month scholarship period for the months of June & July. (as it’s not a full term, Wenhua will not offer me a student visa, plus I’m a little averse to it anyway)

How exactly do I apply for Visa Exempt Entry?

Should I enter with Visa Exempt and then apply for one extension? (can I do this?)
Or
Should I enter with Visa Exempt and then travel outside Taiwan before my 90 days are up and have it renew?

Or is there a better option?

Sorry for the dumb questions… :blush:

There is no application for visa exempt entry. You just show up at the border.

Your other question is also of interest to me, however. Has anyone got any experience extending their visa-free stay? I’m looking at doing it in the next week or two and wonder if anyone has done it, what sort of stuff they ask for, etc.

Once I know more I’ll report back, but Onewsouffle it sounds like the visa-free + extension is your best bet. Ask the school what other students have done.

The BOCA web site has all the pertinent details:
boca.gov.tw/lp.asp?ctNode=77 … DSD=7&mp=2

I followed the directions to a tee and had no problems whatsoever. Service with a smile!

The BOCA web site has all the pertinent details:
boca.gov.tw/lp.asp?ctNode=77 … DSD=7&mp=2

I followed the directions to a tee and had no problems whatsoever. Service with a smile![/quote]

I don’t understand.

I didn’t think visa exempt entry was extendable and your link supports that. :ponder:

I feel like the biggest idiot because I completely forgot about this and didn’t both to extend!!! Arggggg

Visa-exempt entry is convertible to a visitor visa for citizens of Canada (which includes the OP) and the U.K. This visitor visa is valid from the date of entry up to 180 days with no extensions. The process is simple if you qualify: enter Taiwan visa-free, satisfy the requirements (in my case I took a short Chinese course at MTC), follow the procedures (write the letter and bring a transcript or whatever else you need), and apply in the last 30 days of your visa (e.g. after 60 days have elapsed).

Has anybody tried extending more than once? From what ive read on here the first time is ok but to do it a second time is another matter. I know you have to give a good reason why you want to extend ie you are married etc but wouldnt the NIA suggest you get a JFRV?

If you’re married and staying >180 days then … I mean, seriously.

I suspect we are talking about different things. Canadian and U.K. citizens can effectively extend their 90 day visa-exempt entry through conversion to a non-extendable visitor visa.

Yeah sorry ill make myself more clear if i can, Im curious to know if after already extending one visa exempt stay can you leave again and come back and extend a second 90 day visa exempt stay, ive read else where on here that it might not be possible to do that. Everybody has different circumstances i know i just used the marriage reason as one example.