Extending ARC/Resident Visa?

I apologize if this has already been answered. My guess it probably has been, but I can’t seem to find it

I was planning on changing jobs from teaching to editing at a publishing company. In the end, my work permit wasn’t approved. I still want to stay in Taiwan, so I’m trying to find a new school to sponsor me. (it’s too late to get back with my old school)

My question: I’ve got about 2 weeks left on my ARC, which I assume isn’t enough time to process a new work permit/visa. So… I’ve read posts about people getting extensions from the main branches of the police station, but all those posts were regarding visitor visa’s. So what about in my case? If I were to find a new sponsor and they start the application for the work permit, will (or rather CAN) my Visa/ARC be extended?? Or will I for sure have to leave the country?

Thanks!
oZzo

You’re looking at a trip overseas. Hope you have enough money to treat it as a holiday. Whenever I’ve needed to go on a visa run, I’ve been broke and listening to people tell me to enjoy my “holiday” was rather stressful.

Really? So in other words I’ll have to go through the same process I went through a year ago…so there’s no way to get an extension at this point?

Assuming I must leave, I’m planning on going to Singapore (have close friends there). Read a post saying they’re pretty relaxed with giving visa’s there. Can anyone confirm?

Also, when I show up, what’s the best route to go when asking for the 2 month visa? Show them a letter from my (soon to be) employer and documentation (if I have it by then) that my work permit has been applied for? I would guess that saying I’m just a tourist would be silly considering my passport says I’ve been living in taiwan for the last year. (basically, just be honest about everything.)

oZzo

There are no absolutes when it comes to regulations in Taiwan. Does your school have any pull with the local police?? If so, they’ll be able to smooth things over. It’s worth trying at your local Forign Affairs police station.

I’ve heard good things about Singapore regarding visas. Seeing as it is not a backpacker destination you have more chance of getting a two-month visa there than elsewhere in South-east Asia. Take documentation from your employer with you.

John.

[quote=“ozzo”]Also, when I show up, what’s the best route to go when asking for the 2 month visa? Show them a letter from my (soon to be) employer and documentation (if I have it by then) that my work permit has been applied for? I would guess that saying I’m just a tourist would be silly considering my passport says I’ve been living in Taiwan for the last year. (basically, just be honest about everything.)
oZzo[/quote]

Yes, be honest about everything.

Through Kuala Lumpur’s TECO office, they’ll require you show your employer letter and other employer documens, ARC documents by your employer to get that 60-day visa. There are no 60-day tourist visas anymore as far as the experiences posted here suggest. Not sure about Singapore’s TECO office, that’s not a usual destination for people making visa jumps. Forget HK, that’s a death trap. KL is friendly but you’ll need to have your papers in order.

Be prepared to stay outside of Taiwan for a considerable time just because of paperwork formalities.

GL,

Thanks for all the info so far. It’s been really helpful. I appreciate it.

At this point I’m not sure what documents I’ll have in hand when I leave here, but assuming worse case senerio…say I only have a letter from an employer saying they’ve hired me and nothing else. (perhaps also a copy of my submitted work visa) Would that be sufficient to obtain a 60 day Visa?

GL, about how long you talking about here? Have to take into account plane ticket dates and such. (and any problem not having an ongoing ticket out of Taiwan? Or should I have an itinerary with me showing a flight, that I’ll later cancel, out of Taiwan?)

Sorry for all the questions. I just like to be prepared for anything. I don’t have the money or time for suprises.

Thanks again
oZzo

I wouldn’t count on Singapore being eay. 4 or 5 years ago, but I couldn’t get a 60 day visa off them. I had papers from the school I was studying at but had not paid the 2 or 3 months fees in advance. So it was jsut as strict as HK. Also they took 3 days.

Brian

I know of one school who has had their teachers stuck in HK for more than 2 weeks because of this kind of issue. My experience was about 4 weeks.

So how do you plan a plane ticket around something like that? Wait, I’ll answer my own question…you can’t. Just pick a date and hope things go smoothly. If not, then pay some extra money to get your dates changed. Sound about right? (or just buy an open ended ticket which I imagine must be expensive)

oZzo

Couldn’t you just sign up for Chinese language lessons? If you are presently a resident, then it should be no problem to begin Mandarin lessons and receive a three-month visa for that?

Right? I know it costs about NT$7,500, but that’s about the cost of a flight off this island. Cheaper, actually.