Extending Student Visa for Travel?

I will most likely be leaving Taiwan in mid-December when my teaching contract expires. However, my girlfriend has her visa/ARC through studying Chinese, and her ARC expires on December 4. Would it be possible to extend her visa through December 20, so we could leave Taiwan at the same time? I had heard that it’s sometimes possible to extend visas for travel purposes.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Never heard such a thing.

The only solution I’ve heard of is to exit and re-enter the country on a landing visa.

For a definitive answer, I’d go to the National Immigration Agency where she got her ARC and ask.

[quote=“CraigTPE”]
Never heard such a thing.

The only solution I’ve heard of is to exit and re-enter the country on a landing visa.

For a definitive answer, I’d go to the National Immigration Agency where she got her ARC and ask.[/quote]
Maybe I’m confused then. I probably heard that people have tried to extend their visas for traveling but were denied. Unfortunately the landing visa is not an option since my girlfriend is Thai.

I’ve read many accounts of people on various types of visas (resident with ARC and tourist without) who wanted to stick around and travel a bit after they completed whatever it was they were doing. It doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened, but I can’t recall reading about anyone who had succeeded.

Why not go down to the immigration office and ask? There’s also the toll free number for information for foreigners: 0800-024-111. Get the information direct from the source.

[quote=“CraigTPE”]
Why not go down to the immigration office and ask? There’s also the toll free number for information for foreigners: 0800-024-111. Get the information direct from the source.[/quote]
I know I should go down to the office, but I was hoping to avoid an unnecessary trip. Don’t know if that’s the same number, but the last time I tried calling the immigration office I got a Chinese-speaking machine.

That’s supposed to be an all-purpose info line for foreigners. I’ve only called it a couple times, but always got an answer.

Thanks, will give it a try.

I just got back from the immigration office in Taichung City. They said it would be no problem to extend the ARC for one week for traveling. They said no to two weeks, but it seems like it might be negotiable.

EDIT:
Just made the extension today; they ended up giving us 16 days, and even offered up to three weeks.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but as the question is almost the same why do not ask my question here too =)

I just got my ARC (student visa) today, but was a little surprised that my school that had helped me had just said I would stay to 30:th june next year (when the school officially ends), even though I have asked them questions about staying longer (in the dorms etc.)

The thing is that because it’s cheaper to buy a round trip (to and from a country) than a single trip in Sweden so I bought my ticket home before I left, aiming for the 9:th of July. But now do I have to cancel that trip (or rather just buy a new one and don’t care about the other one as what I understood my current trip is non-refundable) or should it be possible to extend your ARC/Student Visa for another two weeks (roughly)?
If possible when should I do it? I don’t want to wait too long (i.e. the week before) as the prices probably will rise the longer I wait to buy a new trip…