Eyeballing - For or Against?

The ayes have it.

I’m starting the Bring Back the Eye Campaign.

Then I’d have to start a Cut Out the Eye campaign.

:shock:

Alleycat, I was just thinking of Clockwork Orange, and then I scrolled down. Weird. Is Forumosa becoming one collective brain?

“keep away from the guy with the funny eye, keep away from the funny-eyed guy”

Why was the eye included anyway? Forumosa worked without it for the longest time. I am not interested in who looked at what topic how often and I can’t imagine who should be.

The eye was not installed because the forums “needed” it. I put it in becuase I thought it would be useful for those who use the classifieds forums.

When I post an ad for a job, apartment, roommate, washer dryer, etc. I am curious about who looks at it. I might PM that person to check if they might be interested in something else. This thinking comes from my experience at eBay, where the seller of an auction sometimes contacts me directly about other related items.

One of the original purposes of ORIENTED.org was to be a classified space. This objective has fallen far behind the discussion forums and other Taiwan classifieds website, like Tealit.com.

Could I have found a way to limit it to the classified ad versions of the website? Perhaps, but not without more time than I have to spend.

Another motive was to help make the forums more “self-moderating”. When people know that the world really is watching them, only the most thick-skinned shamelessly proceed. My hope was that this would make the job of moderating at Forumosa even easier (remember, no one pays these people). The risk was that the most interesting discussions would be the most controversial, and thus would be avoided.

I figured that the pros outweighed the cons. Clearly, most disagree with me.

NOTE: Maoman asked me to roll back the modification some time ago, but I am hampered by schedule and technical problems at home and can not easily make changes these days.