F.com's 10th anniversary

The 10th anniversary of Forumosa/Segue/Oriented should be coming up in a few months. When exactly is it? (Or have we already missed it?)

I suppose there might be several ways to determine this, as well as several other milestones:
site registration?
first post?
first post by someone other than Gus or Christine?
first flame war?
first thread to go longer than one page?
first thread on where to find sour cream?
etc.

This might be a good opportunity: Contact the local media and get some coverage for the site.

The biggest question is who was the first person not who just didn’t understand Taiwanese culture?

You eager beavers!
Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Who is not eager for the beaver, that’s wot i’d like to ken.

as for dating, shouldn't one start from a base of Fri Aug 20, 1999 4:01 pm , that of pinesay?

Oh, yesh!

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]as for dating, shouldn’t one start from a base of Fri Aug 20, 1999 4:01 pm , that of pinesay?[/quote]I believe some posts may have got lost during one of the many changes. I think some of the oldest posts/users may be lost.

Tigerman has been a moderator since July 1907. That must make The Fo older than we thought.

Well shite, that explains all the presque vue!

Chris and I started ORIENTED.org around Oct 1998, but we only set up a teaser page and collected email addresses for 8 or 9 months through it before we showed anything. We also pooled email addresses from all spam and forwarded jokes we’d received so that we could make a huge announcement (aka spam) when we actually launched the website

Thanks for bringing it up :slight_smile:

Did you all get dressed up in Sunday best before you logged on in them days?

So, Goose “SPAM” Egg, when did it become Forumosa? We’ll need to stockpile fireworks, ammunition and booze for THAT 10-year anniversary celebration! :discodance:

Don’t forget some funk!

Oriented.org, was not forumosa. F.com is the result of a multi-year morph, to a very large extents brought on by demands from the users, or problems stemming from them.

I recall my first visit to f.com. It was in 2000. My former wife was considering a move to Taiwan, and I was looking at how to get work permits. Oriented,org had siome very good static content about that, and I later asked on the rather small board as well. back then the site was geared towards professionals of predominently ABC/CBC descent coming here to work for a few years, and the static content was focused on getting those to settle in.

The board was a small type of “where can i find info about jobs, housing or whatever” sort of thing, however by some accident Gus had put up a sub-forum called “rants and Raves”.

What wo know as forumosa today, IE with the discussion forums as the main force behind the site, is all an outgrowth of “rants and raves”.

I would say that the “real” start was when “Rants and Raves” got its first 2 moderators (they were called Angst and Neo, and at least one of them was a smurf of a current prominent forumosan), and that would have been in 2001 sometime.

I recall something about mormons triggering the change.

[quote=“Mr He”]The board was a small type of “where can I find info about jobs, housing or whatever” sort of thing, however by some accident Gus had put up a sub-forum called “rants and Raves”.

What wo know as forumosa today, IE with the discussion forums as the main force behind the site, is all an outgrowth of “rants and raves”.

I would say that the “real” start was when “Rants and Raves” got its first 2 moderators (they were called Angst and Neo, and at least one of them was a smurf of a current prominent forumosan), and that would have been in 2001 sometime.

I recall something about mormons triggering the change.[/quote]
I remember things a little bit differently. Rants and Raves was there at the start, but it was pretty clear that it was the one area that was getting the most attention. Angst and Neo were actually smurf accounts - back then we called them “aliases” and having them were not against the rules. I think Chris was Angst and I was Neo, but it could have been the other way around. In practice, Chris may as well have been both :wink:

It was indeed the mormon discussions that made us wonder if having a forum at all was a good idea. We wanted to be all things to all people and nice to everybody, and as the mormon discussion heated up, we soon felt we didn’t know enough about mormonism to be comfortable. The first thing we did was switch off the Rants and Raves forum for a week or so to stop all discussion there full stop. We were thrilled that there was activity on the website, but unsure if we really wanted to have to monitor it all the time. It’s obvious to me now that we didn’t know enough about running a discussion forum, too, for that matter - imagine thinking we had to know something about everything to moderate a forum?! Mormonism was something neither has much experience with (I at least had agreed to sit for a talk, once. Up until then, my exposure to LDS was the Osmond Show and an Rotary exchange student who stayed with my family for half a year - who btw was a totally cool person) - so we wondered what the “proper” thing to do would be should other flame wars erupt.

Fast forward two years later and we were faced with our own personal decisions: she wrestled with when to go with a commercial website, and I had to decide which grad school to go to. When we agreed to go separate ways, I agreed to her getting the name ORIENTED, and I would get the website as-is. It was clear to me that we shouldn’t bother with a “front page” and go right to the heart and soul of the website: the forums.

Maoman came on board as the new Co-admin/Partner. Eventually (a few months later), the name “forumosa” was coined

He is right - I stand corrected :notworthy: :blush:

Sch-weet! Orienteguemosa.org.com.tw.com turns 10 on my 30th birthday!