F**K YES! Supermemo 2.0 for Palm

miltownkid, an excellent video demo on Supermemo. :bravo: Now if I only had a Palm…

Thanks. That was just for fun, but I think I’ve been inspired to make more (and more organized) videos. I’ll make some about making new databases, making templates and stuff like that. Should be fun.

The spreadsheet project sounds pretty good. I have some Chinese vocabulary that I can contribute. Hopefully I could get some useful vocabulary out of this project from others as well.

Perhaps we need to make this a separate thread?

There’s two minor problems that I can see this project having:

1. we need somebody in charge to manage the list of people that have read/edit access to the file.
  2. It’d be nice if we could have people contribute something before they get access so as to encourage people to work together. However, people would also need to know what is already there, so that they could know if there’s something they could contribute. I don’t know how this could be done, though.

I heard Truant say that even though he’d asked for donations for the flashcards that he made available for free, only a paltry number of people actually donated money (or beer). It’d be nice if we could have a way to encourage people to contribute some vocabulary without just leaching what is already there.

Also, Tianfu, the video worked fine for me. I think you just need to wait longer for the video to download. It’s a streaming video, so you can only watch the parts that you’ve downloaded so far. Give it another try.

The video is a good overview of Supermemo, and Miltownkid did a good job with it. It also gives a glimpse into what he has (and hasn’t) been studying :wink:

[quote=“Tianfu”]i could only watch the first minute or so of the video, looks awesome though. miltownkid, i know you’ve posted about the google database stuff before, maybe you can refresh my memory.

would we just make databases as usual, save em in tab delimited format, and upload them to this google database? I definitely want to start working on Taiwan Today and Integrated Chinese 1 and 2 (many universities in the US use integrated Chinese, great book). I was planning on doing Shi-Da 2 下 unless you’ve already made it. and then whatever else.[/quote]

I could only watch 39 seconds of the video, then it went to “Share” or “watch again.” I’m not a techie, so I dunno what that means, other than the fact that I couldn’t watch the whole thing.

And I really wanna watch as my goal for the new semester is to improve my Chinese in any way possible and make it fun. Using Supermemo seems to be my best option in the technology front. plus I wanna buy some new stuff! :wink:

[quote=“scomargo”]Perhaps we need to make this a separate thread?

There’s two minor problems that I can see this project having:

1. we need somebody in charge to manage the list of people that have read/edit access to the file.
  2. It’d be nice if we could have people contribute something before they get access so as to encourage people to work together. However, people would also need to know what is already there, so that they could know if there’s something they could contribute. I don’t know how this could be done, though.[/quote]

See this thread for database stuffs: [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 251#605251](The Flash Card Project (Supermemo and Beyond?)

I don’t know if it’s me or settings or what. but I’m getting really pissed with this. I had my first class today and we started with the bupumu. So I thought I would go home and make supermemo cards with it. I can input simple bupumu characters up until 'he" but then it absolutely will not let me input what I want after that. It gives me numbers, symbols or whatever else.

When I make my cards, I go into “keyboard” on my palm, and click on chinese characters that I can’t read until the bupumu keyboard comes up. I select the phonetic character that I want and select it again from the list that comes up. worked fine up until I tried “ji”. or anything after that.

This software would be so much more useful if you could just simply draw what you wanted, like you were making paper flashcards. And I’m just not happy with the so-called “hi-res” capabilities.

I am more that willing to crawl out of my hole and buy someone a nice lunch and be eternally grateful for some help with this. I’ve read the manual for the palm and for supermemo and I’m just not getting it.

I’ve already made tons of paper flashcards and I’m not going to let the technology issues get in my way, but I hope to get all this stuff working before too long.

Arg!

PM me, I have time in the mornings and weekends. I take my cheeseburgers shaken, not stirred.

How many flash cards do you make for each vocabulary item? Do you have one each for pronunciation, reading, and writing? Do you have one for English -> Chinese and one for Chinse -> English? For example:

Q: 中國 A: China, zhong1guo2
Q: China (py) A: zhong1guo2
Q: China (hz) A: 中國

So far, I’ve just been doing English -> Hanzi & pinyin (Q: China A: 中國, zhong1guo2) for vocab, and one card for each hanzi (Q: country [ex zhong1guo2] A: 國 + stroke order gif). Does anyone have a method that they think is better?

[quote=“Nibble”]How many flash cards do you make for each vocabulary item? Do you have one each for pronunciation, reading, and writing? Do you have one for English -> Chinese and one for Chinse -> English? For example:

Q: 中國 A: China, zhong1guo2
Q: China (py) A: zhong1guo2
Q: China (hz) A: 中國

So far, I’ve just been doing English -> Hanzi & Pinyin (Q: China A: 中國, zhong1guo2) for vocab, and one card for each hanzi (Q: country [ex zhong1guo2] A: 國 + stroke order gif). Does anyone have a method that they think is better?[/quote]
I use more than 2 fields. Maybe a question, character, meaning/definition, example, example 2, etc.

I think it’s best to have at least 3.

If you have the 3 fields, you can just change the template to what you want (example: show the definition and the answer is the characters, or show the pinyin and the answer is the definition.)

Sorry if this has been answered…I searched the forums with no luck. Is it possible to take the flashcards from Pleco Dictionary and input them on Supermemo? I like Pleco’s presentation of characters, but hate their flashcard program. Some :help:

Copy and paste.

So you can use it for recognition, but not for writing?

I use it for writing, too. For the question I show the pinyin with the meaning and the answer is the character. I try to write the character correctly on paper and then find out if I’m right or wrong.

So, can I use this without a Palm? I need to do some character training and refreshment of my memory.

Yes. It’s availible on Windows and Windows Mobile as well. They might even have some kind of online version.

See: www.supermemo.com

[quote=“A year ago, scomargo”]Joesax,

I still think getting a high resolution PDA is worth the money. I used a low-rez one for many months before buying a hi-rez one, and the difference is like night and day. If you’re serious or semi-serious about studying characters, it’s well worth the investment.

That said, I don’t think the other features that come with Supermemo 2.0 are worth the upgrade for most people. The best feature by far is the hi-rez support, so if you don’t need that, you probably won’t want to upgrade.[/quote]My Treo 600 has been brilliant over the last couple of years. It’s great to have Supermemo, PlecoDict, and the calendar/messaging/contacts/phone functions all in one device. The only drawback is that it isn’t hi-res. And now, after two years of heavy use, I think the battery is just starting to get a bit tired. In the Treo 600, it’s a fixed internal battery which can only be replaced with the use of a soldering iron. I don’t think that high-tech smart phones are a good practice area for initial soldering attempts!

So I think it’s time for an upgrade. I was dreading having to switch to Pocket PC but I’ve just been doing some reading and it seems that Palm OS is still going strong. The Treo 680s look great – smaller and lighter than the 600s, with double the useable memory and of course a nice high-res screen. So finally I’m going to have Supermemo running with lovely smooth characters.

For anyone who’s interested, the Treo 680 is 16,800NT from pdaking.com.tw, who offer a cash-on-delivery service. Not cheap but comparable with other smartphones.
pdaking.com.tw/shop/product_info … cts_id=513

sorry if this question is really out there. But I read thru the whole thread and I’m not ‘getting’ how supermemo really works in terms of putting stuff in.

So, I guess you download the program and put it on the palm. Now, I’m stuck at understanding how supermemo works with putting in chinese. Can someone explain it to me. Thanks for your time and effort.

[quote=“Namahottie”]sorry if this question is really out there. But I read thru the whole thread and I’m not ‘getting’ how supermemo really works in terms of putting stuff in.

So, I guess you download the program and put it on the palm. Now, I’m stuck at understanding how supermemo works with putting in Chinese. Can someone explain it to me. Thanks for your time and effort.[/quote]Supermemo is just a very sophisticated flashcard program. You enter all your own data on the blank “cards”. Does your PDA have Chinese support pre-installed? If not, buy CJKOS. That enables you to input and display Chinese characters on any application on the PDA, including Supermemo.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Namahottie”]sorry if this question is really out there. But I read thru the whole thread and I’m not ‘getting’ how supermemo really works in terms of putting stuff in.

So, I guess you download the program and put it on the palm. Now, I’m stuck at understanding how supermemo works with putting in Chinese. Can someone explain it to me. Thanks for your time and effort.[/quote]Supermemo is just a very sophisticated flashcard program. You enter all your own data on the blank “cards”. Does your PDA have Chinese support pre-installed? If not, buy CJKOS. That enables you to input and display Chinese characters on any application on the PDA, including Supermemo.[/quote]

Thats what I needed to know. Thanks.