F**K YES! Supermemo 2.0 for Palm

Okay, I got CKJOS working. It seems you have to have a version that is “localized” for your particular pda. Hence you need a different version everytime you buy a new pda.

I bought the supermemo upgrade and it is great. the characters are much larger and clearer. However, my version of CKJOS makes characters run sideways. I have to turn my pda to read them. Is there any way to change this? My last version didn’t do this. In addition, my CKJOS manager is all in Chinese.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]However, my version of CKJOS makes characters run sideways. I have to turn my pda to read them. Is there any way to change this? My last version didn’t do this. In addition, my CKJOS manager is all in Chinese.[/quote]It’s all in Chinese because the “Localizer” tab is checked. Go to CJKOS from the applications page on your PDA. Select the second tab. “Localizer” should be the bottom checkbox on that page.

Then go to the first tab. Look for the checkbox that says “90 degrees” (it’s got the degree sign, not the word). Uncheck that. Should sort out the alignment thing.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Muzha Man”]However, my version of CKJOS makes characters run sideways. I have to turn my pda to read them. Is there any way to change this? My last version didn’t do this. In addition, my CKJOS manager is all in Chinese.[/quote]It’s all in Chinese because the “Localizer” tab is checked. Go to CJKOS from the applications page on your PDA. Select the second tab. “Localizer” should be the bottom checkbox on that page.

Then go to the first tab. Look for the checkbox that says “90 degrees” (it’s got the degree sign, not the word). Uncheck that. Should sort out the alignment thing.[/quote]

Thank you Joe. They both worked. :notworthy:

Glad to hear everything is okay now, Mucha Man. Now you’ve got no excuses. :wink:

[quote=“Muzha Man”]By the way, if you’re looking for a new pda check out the factory outlet on the palm site. I bought my zire31 for about NT2500. Had it shipped to my parents and then mailed here.

They also had the latest styles, also at half or less what you pay normally.

My pda has the tiniest scratch on the top of the case.[/quote]

I’ve been intrigued by Miltown’s Supermemo cards but I’ll confess I’ve never owned a PDA ( :blush: ) and am wondering if I would ever use it for anything but learning characters.

What are PDA’s good for? Calendar, store phone numbers, photos, MP3. Is that basically it? Do any of you who do Supermemo on your PDA use the device for any other purposes?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Muzha Man”]By the way, if you’re looking for a new pda check out the factory outlet on the palm site. I bought my zire31 for about NT2500. Had it shipped to my parents and then mailed here.

I’ve been intrigued by Miltown’s Supermemo cards but I’ll confess I’ve never owned a PDA ( :blush: ) and am wondering if I would ever use it for anything but learning characters.

What are PDA’s good for? Calendar, store phone numbers, photos, MP3. Is that basically it? Do any of you who do Supermemo on your PDA use the device for any other purposes?[/quote]

Mine is also an mp3 player and can store photos. But I use it almost exclusively for learning chinese. This is enough. If you have a bus or MRT commute as I do, it is a very valuable tool.

BTW, Miltownkid and Scomargo, my new pda does not support high rez fonts. Large yes, but not high rez. Oh well, I still like the bigger fonts when I study vocabulary (using pinyin on Supermemo).

I use the photo program on my pda now to learn characters. I like it better. I take pics, one at a time, of truants flashcards and then upload them. The software even has a slideshow. I like being able to look at real typewritten characters and not computer fonts.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I’ve been intrigued by Miltown’s Supermemo cards but I’ll confess I’ve never owned a PDA ( :blush: ) and am wondering if I would ever use it for anything but learning characters.

What are PDA’s good for? Calendar, store phone numbers, photos, MP3. Is that basically it? Do any of you who do Supermemo on your PDA use the device for any other purposes?[/quote]
I also only use it for language learning. The 3 programs I use almost daily are Supermemo, the Merrium Webster dictionary, and a Chinese dictionary. It does other stuff too, but that’s what I mainly use it for.

I also only use it for Chinese language learning, but it’s been a tremendous help. If you’re just starting off, Truant’s flashcards are probably good enough for your purposes. However, if you really want to learn many hundreds (or thousands) of characters, a PDA would be best in my opinion.

Supermemo is also nice because it gives you a new test of words every single day, so it forces you to keep learning/reviewing, whereas the paper flashcards would not. Otherwise, just get your wife to smack you on those days when you don’t get around to studying, and that would also probably be enough motivation not to slack off. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Muzha Man”]By the way, if you’re looking for a new pda check out the factory outlet on the palm site. I bought my zire31 for about NT2500. Had it shipped to my parents and then mailed here.

I’ve been intrigued by Miltown’s Supermemo cards but I’ll confess I’ve never owned a PDA ( :oops: ) and am wondering if I would ever use it for anything but learning characters.

What are PDA’s good for? Calendar, store phone numbers, photos, MP3. Is that basically it? Do any of you who do Supermemo on your PDA use the device for any other purposes?[/quote]Pleco Chinese–English–Chinese dictionary. Very useful. Plus of course my PDA is my phone. I used to have a separate PDA but I never remembered to take it with me.

Does Supermemo also have pinyin with accents for those of us who wish to learn pinyin rather than characters? Is Supermemo a good thing for people in that boat?

Mucha Man, still happy with your zire31? Any regrets about the purchase?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Does Supermemo also have Pinyin with accents for those of us who wish to learn Pinyin rather than characters? Is Supermemo a good thing for people in that boat?

Muzha Man, still happy with your zire31? Any regrets about the purchase?[/quote]

My only regret is that it does not support the high rez fonts which I mention below. But, as I also mentioned, I prefer to use the photo software with its handy slide show option to learn characters as I am really seeing pics of characters. So, yes, I am still very happy with it. Very happy in fact because I finally broke through the 300 character ceiling that I have been hitting for the last 10 years. I am over the 500 mark in fact.

I don’t know if SM supports pinyin markers but what I do is just write the tone number behind the word, which is a viable option:

Ni3 Hao3 Ma1 Ma1 Te4 Li3 Si4

When you are writing your vocab lists it is probably easier to do this than mark up the vowels.

Ok this is my first post. Been lurking in the background for quite some time now, just ploucked up the courage to get involved. I want to learn characters, and learn them fast so I’m really interested in using supermemo. I just bought a pocket PC (with chinese windows OS!) today and intend to put supermemo on it asap. Where can i get some good databases from? I plan to use the Pocket PC during my 1 hour commute to work. Any advice you guys can offer me would be greatly appreciated. At the moment i can only recognise about 50 or 60 characters.(yes maybe i should have bought english OS but i want to force myself to learn) I’ve been studying at TLI for about 9 months so my spoken chinese is coming along fairly well - now i think it’s time to work on reading and writing. I can use both pinyin and bo po mo fo. Do you think i should be creating my own databases? Help help help

Yes.

I’m sure half of what I got/get from using Supermemo is because all of the databases I use I made myself.

Got supermemo working on my PDA - this really is a nice piece of software. Thanks a lot.
I use NJSTAR when typing chinese on my desktop as it allows you to select characters without really having to know the correct tones or even recognising them. Is there something similar for the PDA. That would be fantastic. Am i asking for too much? I’ve already got Dr Eye and another dictionary program on it. Any other cool stuff that someone can recommmend?

Once again, thanks a lot for the help

Study :slight_smile:

All these cool devides didn’t exist back in the day and people got by. People get by now without all the high-techness.

I have Pleco and Supermemo on my Palm for Chinese study. I guess the last tip I have is database creation on the desktop. There is a way to create databases in MS Excel (or an Excel like program, Open Office would work) and covert them for use on the Palm. The first database I made I did by hand, through the Palm, writing each charater. Now I’ll only use a desktop.

Information for that can be found here: mapletop.com/supermemo/faq.html#Import

It’s very easy to do and you can get to be really fast at inputing them. Though I do know I learned more doing it “by hand.”

Thanks for the help Milton,
I’ve been inputing my characters directly onto the PDA and all was going well until the PDA decided to reset itself and delete all my work(about 300 characters)!
Because the PDA (pocket pc) has chinese OS I dont know how to to use the sync program properly to back up my files. My PC has english windows and when connected to the PC it wont recognie file names etc.
How can I create my databases on the PC and transfer them to the PDA?
I tried using the import XML function and the import Q + A function.
I tried making my database using excel and then word and then notepad.

What am i doing wrong?
Help! - i feel like throwing this in the bin

So, miltownkid…Uh…Howyadoin?..Uh…say!

You use a mac to make those databases (and back that stuff up), right? Am I to understand you use some kind of DOS emulator and the supermemo suggested software (I read the link) to do this or did you find an easier, softer way?

I bought a palm TX last weekend and I’ve been fiddling around with Supermemo (I refreshed my knowledge of rudimentary Spanish quite quickly). I’ll guess I’ll buy it soon.

I’ve downloaded the trail version of the Plecodict as well but I haven’t figured out how to use it (or even if it supports Trad. Chinese)…It’s pretty useless as a trail version.

Also… Are you using your Palm in Chinese or is there some kind of way to input those pesky characters by hand? I don’t get it…

I’m somewhere on the low end of the bell curve with this stuff. I’ll read all the stuff I have over and over again and dig deeper into the supermemo site.

keep up the good info, guys.

Maybe we need a syposium!

I shouldn’t be trying to answer questions now, but…

My Palm had a Chinese OS which came with the ability to write the characters on the screen.

I did the databases on a Windows machine.

The Pleco does do traditional, it just has to be set to that.

uh… If I missed something I’ll figure it out later.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]Also… Are you using your Palm in Chinese or is there some kind of way to input those pesky characters by hand? I don’t get it…[/quote]I think most people use CJKOS.
dyts.com/en/cjkos.html

After actually reading this thread again, I think I kind of have it figured out. (My settings were all screwy and in chinese so I couldn’t set it up properly, duh.) So, If I want to enter a character into a new card (supermemo) I have to use the bupumu pop up keyboard (and can attempt to write in the graffiti area under it), right? Are there any other ways? How can I make the character VERY big? Why is the resolution so crappy? Is this normal? I just made a couple of cards for simple characters that I know. Seems to work.

if I could use notepad to write big characters and then paste them into the supermemo question field that would be cool. I just don’t like the look of those blocky looking characters. Maybe a setting?