Facial Hair

What kind of facial hair do you sport?

• None. Clean as a baby’s bottom (pre-poopie).
  • Don’t shave often. A constant scruff adorns my cheeks.
  • A (non-Hilterian) moustache.
  • I have a “flavor saver” (hair on chin only).
  • I have a goatee/Van Dyke.
  • I have a full, neatly trimmed beard.
  • I look like I’ve never met a razor.

0 voters

To goatee, or not to goatee…

When I turned 30 and found that my hair was shifting backward on my scalp and landing on my neck, I grew a goatee (properly known as a Van Dyke moustache) to distract the ladies from the increasing amount of scalp area visible. It worked well for a few years, but was a pain to shave. I eventually shaved it off and looked five years younger.

Now, I’m growing it back. Winter is here, and though my girlfriend claims I’m hotter than Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings, I know better. She supports the facial hair so that she can have a more Strider-like man. Wait until she sees the gray hairs poking through.

Since we at segue never get to see each other, I thought it would be fun to know who is clean, and who is dirty. We’ll assume that our female posters don’t have much facial hair. Sorry to exclude you, but I welcome your comments on the preferred male facial hair styling.

I had a dirty little goatee matted with chicken grease until this morning, when careless shaving gave me a kind of chin-mohawk. Not really on my chin, either, but kind of mostly on the left cheek. Its going to be all the rage in a few weeks, I’m sure.

None, clean as a baby’s, but my other cheeks could body-double for the Abominable Snowman.

Adding in my 2NT from a girls perspective…(well this one’s anyway)

my beloved has a goatee, and I think he is quite a handsome dude…

My father has a full beard. Totally white he has a full head of white curly hair too so if he gained 50-75 pounds he would pass for Santa. Full beards look good on older men…

But, note, I like them neat and trim… no Grizzly Adams looks… SO… my vote goes for …

Either goatee, beard, soul patch, or clean shaven… BUT NO TOM SELLECK MUSTACHES PLEASE!

A girl told me once she like me cleanshaven. I never shaved. I love to pick each hair to its root. It hurts, but it’s plain satisfaction:)

And I do love my chin now. Don’t want it to look like genitalia.

ax

Hmm I think you need to add a choice to your poll Tomas. How about the five o’clock shadow look? I shave often, but when I don’t have to go to work, I don’t shave…

Anyone still sport 70s-style pork chops. Hexuan? :wink:

My experience suggests that most local gals do not like men to grow beards or moustaches, though moderate sideburns are generally acceptable. Countless xiaojies have told me they think that facial hair makes men look “dirty”, “seedy”, “old”, “sinister” and other such less-than-desirable qualities. In my pre-Taiwan days, I more often than not sported growths of phiz-fuzz. But after I came here, I found that I got a way, way better reception without it. I also found that the hairy-faced me was adjudged to look as much as two decades older than the smooth-chinned version – and now that I’m no longer quite so young in chronological terms, I need to discard as many years as possible from my appearance.

I only ever had one Taiwanese girlfriend who liked beards. She was into the Western philospher look and was very happy when I let it all grow to tickle her fancy. But she belongs to the receding past, and I’m enslaved to the daily razoring to please today’s better half.

That would be the second choice, which can also qualify as 5-o’clock shadow. The Don Johnson, “Miami Vice” look. Or the more modern Brad Pitt look (at least in half of his movies).

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]My experience suggests that most local gals do not like men to grow beards or moustaches, though moderate sideburns are generally acceptable. Countless xiaojies have told me they think that facial hair makes men look “dirty”, “seedy”, “old”, “sinister” and other such less-than-desirable qualities. In my pre-Taiwan days, I more often than not sported growths of phiz-fuzz. But after I came here, I found that I got a way, way better reception without it. I also found that the hairy-faced me was adjudged to look as much as two decades older than the smooth-chinned version – and now that I’m no longer quite so young in chronological terms, I need to discard as many years as possible from my appearance.

I only ever had one Taiwanese girlfriend who liked beards. She was into the Western philospher look and was very happy when I let it all grow to tickle her fancy. But she belongs to the receding past, and I’m enslaved to the daily razoring to please today’s better half.[/quote]

Bullshit (what the women are saying). Beards make us look evil (though older, I agree). Ever hear the expression nanren bu huai, nuren bu ai? Women dig a slighly evil-looking guy. When you combine it with a heart of gold, that is. My girl is wild about my new goatee.

I also like the deterrence factor. Add the beard, and I judge I’ll have fewer twilight zone experiences.

I thought Juba unrepentedly sported a bushy beard. No?

I’ve seen Mucha Man. He’s sporting the lean, dapper, clean-faced look.

Almas John’s photo on his book (and excellent read by the way–titled Formosan Oddessy) shows a face begging for a little, wicked beard.

Paogoa’s website shows an evil-looking chin scruff.

And Omni and miltownkid, if our laowai mafia is ever to be a success, we’re going to have to look mean. At the very least, we’re going to have to let some mole hairs grow out.

Oh yes, those ravishing mole hairs – the ultimate adornment for any laowai who wants to go native all the way.

Juba had a beard at the last happy hrs I went to.

I used to grow a beard when I worked as a mandarin speaking guide in Copenhagen in order to make me look older (I started that line of work at the tender age of 24 and feared that the guests thought I was too young). When I discovered that they loved my show and didn’t give a damn about my age, I shaved it off. Have growna goatee recently, but shaved it off last spring as it was too hot to sport in this climate.

interesting topic. seems that asian men have less facial hair than western men, must be the DNA stuff.

But on a cultural level, beards and moustaches and goatees in the west seem to be much more popular than in asia. One hardly ever sees a Taiwanese man with a beard or moustache. Even “artists” who usually sport facial hair in the west, for reasons of coolness and nonconformity, even artists here look like normal businessmen. WHY?

Can you name some Asian men with facial hair?

SHih Ming-teh, the former DPP legislator has a thin Gary Cooper stache…

And some other current pol has a full white beard a la Santa…

Some Japanese film directors have goatees…

I guess it is a cultural thing. In the west, beards and staches are deemed cool and artistic and with it and sporty and sexy (and yes, philosophical and serious, too) … ever see Tom Cruise with a full beard, wow!.. or Tom Hanks with a full beard in that island movie? … or the actor BElushi with his full beard before he shaved it off and died from an OD?..

Who has cool beards and staches in France, Italy, Uk and OZ?

By the way, doesn’t Michael J Fox look a lot like DANIEL What’s s his name the kid who plays Harry Potter from the UK? They look like twins.

Imagine if Santa shaved off his beard? Wow, what a surpirse? Wonder who he would look like?

Or JEsus, imagine if he had no beard. Wow. Cute, sexy smooth Jesus.!!!

ANd of course, GOd in heaven, with his long grey beard, imagine if there was a barber up there and he could shaved…???

Or that cool dude Osama Been Ladled…?/?

the main question is this: sorry it took so long to get here. long day at the office:

why do men have facial hair anyways? we don’t need it for warmth. so why? it’s a pain the, er, face!

See for yourself.

[quote=“formosa”]

the main question is this: sorry it took so long to get here. long day at the office:

why do men have facial hair anyways? we don’t need it for warmth. so why? it’s a pain the, er, face![/quote]

I feel your pain, though my office is a home office and is occupied by a 23 year old babe in tight pants who is currently watching “Showgirls,” an atrocious movie but one which she claims is allowing her to understand the chou nansheng mentality. I guess I’m destined not to enjoy a strip bar for some time, but I have nothing to complain about.

I have sported facial hair for the same reasons my Viking ancestors did: To look meaner, and (thus) to attract aforementioned babes. Seems to be working well.

I can’t answer the poll.
In winter I grow a full beard. In summer, spring and fall I am clean-shaven.
I go both ways… :wink:

A friend of mine once went on a mission to wax all of his body hair. Has anybody else attempted this?
I don’t like facial hair on guys because it gives me the impression that they have hair in other places too. Grrrrr.

[quote=“twonavels”]
I don’t like facial hair on guys because it gives me the impression that they have hair in other places too. Grrrrr.[/quote]

Don’t all guys have hair in other places too? :? Are you saying that you like your boys with bald “boys”?

Well, we can’t have it all. At least without chest, back, leg fluff. Not too many of my guys have fallen for the waxing thing.
I wonder why not…