Fact or Fiction? (re: ARC and required ticket home)

Someone recently told me that all ARC jobs had to provide the employee with a ticket home.
I told him this was nonsense and that’d I’d never heard of such a thing in my time here.
He insisted it was true, and his reasoning actually made some sense.
He said “What happens if you get busted for doing something illegally and get deported? What if you can’t pay for a ticket home? Who’s going to pay for it? Not the police! So you need to have a ticket home available to you if anything happens.”

So…Truth or an utter lie?

I believe that in relation to some types of “blue collar work,” where large groups of foreign labors are hired to work on some project, or in some factory, this type of stipulation may often be seen as part of the hiring arrangements.

However, I believe it is quite rare with white-collar work, and such arrangements wouldn’t be available unless specifically stated in the hiring contract.

Alrighty then. Thanks for the quick answer. :slight_smile:

Employment Services Act Article 60 requires the employer to pay for travel expenses and detention costs if a foreign worker is deported by the police.

Article 61 requires the employer to attend to funeral arrangements if a foreign worker dies.

There are no general requirements in the act that require employers to pay for travel expenses for foreign workers.

For blue collar workers hired through employment agencies, a return ticket is usually a requirement of contract, however this requirement is not based on any law.

I agree with jlick. The Act does clearly state that your employer can be held responsible for your repatriation costs if you are deported while working for them. I have never heard of anyone ever being on the receiving end of this and this is most likely because you would have to exercise this right through an appeal from overseas after the deportation.

The way the this article is written leads me to believe that the government would bill the employer if they have to pay travel costs to deport someone.