Fake Coins and Rare Coins

Recently I got a strange coin as change from a guotie vendor… It was a 20 yuan coin… now I’ve asked my grandma and several other natives about this and everyone has been awed by my 20 yuan coin… and my grandma has been telling me about counterfeit money that has been circulating lately…

but… WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD COUNTERFEIT A 20 YUAN COIN!? The making of the coin would probably cost more than 20 yuan!!! Is it just me, or is this a lame conterfeit…???

Probably not a fake, there is a 20NT$ coin within the legal currency.

Note that from today onwards the old bi-color 50NT coins are not valid currency anymore, so check your change carefully.
I also managed to “collect” a few Chinese Riminbi from Taxi drivers which look very similar to the 10NT coins.

There is a NT$20 coin? I’ve never seen such a thing and this is my 8th time to Taiwan… and my grandmother has lived her for over 70 years and never seen one and my teacher as Shi-Da also has never seen one before… are they collectors items?

Yeah. I know about the old 50NT coins… the new 50NT are much cooler looking… shiny… :smiley:

NT$20 COIN
Composition : Ring: Cu, Ni, Al Alloy; Core: Cu, Ni Alloy
Diameter : 26.85 mm
Weight : 8.5 gms
Issued time : July 9th, 2001
Obverse Design : The portrait of Mr. Mona Rudao, an Indigenous Tribal Resistance hero, and the Wusahe Memorial Commemorating the Indigenous Tribal Resistance during the Japanese occupation.
Reverse Design : The traditional canoes used by the Yami tribe.

WOW! I just found the info on the Central Bank of China site – WHOA!! It IS real!!! I can’t believe it… because my grandmother has never even seen it before! I guess it’s rare??

cbc.gov.tw/EngHome/eissue/Ne … Dollar.asp

Now I saw that website I do remember them seeing before, there can’t be that many of them.
Never seen a 1/2NT coin before though.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Birthday Boy”]Now I saw that website I do remember them seeing before, there can’t be that many of them.
Never seen a 1/2NT coin before though.[/quote]

I haven’t seen a 1/2NT coin in circulation since the late '80s or early '90s. I’ve got a couple that I saved though.

Oh you people…you can get a bag of 1/2 NT coins if you want. Just go to the main post office. Even branches have some of them. It is the only place where they are given out, obviously, because of the need to compensate for irregular stamp amounts.
NT$20 coin rare? Not rare enough to be worth much. Hell, you can get a NT$10 paper bill for NT$20. (Remember them? They look like today’s red NT$100.)

When I first got the $200 NT bill as change I told the vendor, “Stop playing!” (Bie kai wan shiao la!)

Now whenever I get a $200 NT, I spend it as soon as I can. Something about a green $200NT dollar bill just looks fake to me!

[quote=“Rascal”]Note that from today onwards the old bi-color 50NT coins are not valid currency anymore, so check your change carefully.
I also managed to “collect” a few Chinese Riminbi from Taxi drivers which look very similar to the 10NT coins.[/quote]

So if you happen to be a complete moron like myself who doesn’t keep up with what’s what, new and happening, and you dump all your change into jars to take to the bank at a later stage, you could suddenly find yourself with what used to be 2500NT$, and is now a pile of scrap metal?! Or must they just be taken to the Bank of Taiwan?

Those Chinese coins that look like the 10NT$, do they have a circle in the centre with changing pictures / characters / whatever, similar to the 50NT? Been handed a couple of these, but not by taxi drivers. Into the jars they go…

NT 20? I used to get them now and again… I wish the aborigines could get a coin with more circulation. Expect to see a Hakka coin soon to sooth the hakka vote. I wish they’d make the $2 bill as rare. I hate seeing that thug on the front. I have seen it where people have drawn Hitler mustaches on the old dictator and labeled him “Dictator” on his shirt. I have one of those too.
Actually, I have a small collection od counterfeit NT 50 coins. The middles are often off-center and dull. I also have a fake NT 50 bill. I can’t believe anyone would spend the time and buy the materials for such a small denomination.

I got a NT$20 coin as change from a grocery store and the clerk was very careful to point out that it was indeed NT$20…and yes, I also got the nt$1/2 coin from the post office.

By the way, does anyone know any shops that sell old Taiwanese coins? I collect old coins, but all the coins in my collection were given to me by my wife’s parents and grandparents, who had saved them since they were in circulation.

[quote=“Rascal”]Note that from today onwards the old bi-color 50NT coins are not valid currency anymore, so check your change carefully.
I also managed to “collect” a few Chinese Riminbi from Taxi drivers which look very similar to the 10NT coins.[/quote]

The bi-color $50 coins are not valid anymore???

First the $50 note, then the gold $50 coin, then the bi-color $50 coin…now what?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Now I saw that website I do remember them seeing before, there can’t be that many of them.
Never seen a 1/2NT coin before though.[/quote]

I saw them at a post office once in 1990. At that time people told me they existed, but I never saw them in daily life then or since.

I have some 1/10 (10 cent) NT coins. Smaller than a dime. How many of you have seen one of those?

I have! Used to use them to buy candy as a child. The coin was called a “guk” in Taiwanese. Still have one or two of those along with a few 1/2 NT coins. Not sure, but I think that there were also 2/10 coins as well. I’d check my collection but it’s back at the cottage in Canada. Shin Gua, do you remember if this was the case?

Actually, I’ve gotten a few of the 20Nt coins over the past year or so… didn’t realize that they aren’t very common. Didn’t save them when I got them but wish I had now!

Anyone remember when the Euro coins came out and there was a rush of Europeans stocking up on 10 Baht coins in Thailand because they were the same size/weight as the two Euro coin and considerably more valuable. Apparently, they were taking them back to use in the parking meters and the metros in Paris and Germany.

There are a lot of notes coins here that are not widely circulated. The NT$20 coin, the NT$200 bill and the NT$2000 bill. All legal tender, but not used. Gosh, at one point we had three different NT$50 coins and one NT$50 bill in circulation all at the same time!

CK

[quote=“citizen k”] Gosh, at one point we had three different NT$50 coins and one NT$50 bill in circulation all at the same time!
CK[/quote]

Tell me about it! :laughing: Why did we have to have 3 different 50 NT coins in such a short space of time anyway? When is the next one coming out? 2006? :unamused: