Fake food in Taiwan

Olive oil should never smell bad. Even adulterated blends shouldn’t smell ‘awful’. First, it’s probably rancid or something. Is it way past the expiry date? Assuming it has any olive oil in it, note that olive oil doesn’t last that long (a year or 1.5 years in cool dark conditions). Second, it could be 100% pure (although we already doubt this, right?) and still be downright bad quality. Bad quality olives, harvested at the wrong time, left to ferment before pressing, pressed too many times, stored in overly warm conditions, light-struck, and then sold past its due date – you get the picture.

You get what you pay for, usually, so if you’re paying less than about NT$475/liter, you’re probably not getting decent olive oil; you can get Bertoli in most supermarkets here for about that. Back home Bertoli produces different grades but here I think I’ve only seen one grade. Or was that Berio? Now I’m confused. If I buy any at a Wellcome supermarket, that’s what I get for cooking and salads. Anything pricier than that is above my budget (even though I know it would be nicer for salads, bruschetta and hummus), and anything below that is suspect.

The stuff at Costco under the Kirkland brand is “pure olive oil” but that doesn’t necessarily mean good quality. In fact, from what I’ve read online today, that label often means it’s inferior (albeit real). It’s blended from ‘refined’ olive oil plus ‘virgin’ olive oil. Refined means 3rd or later repressings, sometimes treated chemically to get the last bits of oil out, so that’s the worst ‘real’ oil, in terms of flavor. And virgin is already the 2nd grade (not commonly sold alone, but usually listed as a blended ingredient). So Costco’s is cheap (what, about NT$850 for 5 liters – anyone remember?) and probably more reliable than local stuff in terms of being real, but it’s very low quality in terms of flavor. My thinking is that if you want to fry your chicken in an inch or two of oil and you want to use real olive oil, but can’t afford to use good stuff for that kind of frying, then this is an okay bet, but if you can afford better, definitely buy better. Just remember that you’d better keep it out of the light and use it within a year or it will go bad. Five liters is a lot, so if you get one of those, you might need to be using it as your only cooking oil in order to use it before it goes rancid. (Yes, oils, including those in nuts, really do go rancid, especially in Taiwan’s summer heat.)

EDIT: On the other hand, Berio’s pure olive oil is a decent oil for daily use, and it’s in the same category as Kirklands (blended virgin plus refined). But I imagine Berio uses more and better quality virgin in theirs than the Costco stuff does. I’ll definitely have to do a taste test on this one!

I go through a bottle like that in about 4-6 months, so I doubt it’s passed it’s use by. I’ve never heard of oil going rancid, but I guess it’s possible.
Anyway, in the past I’ve gone for known brands, and naively believed the local labeling when I couldn’t find something I was familiar with.
I also naively believed a government would like to keep tabs on this sort of thing, but it appears to be pretty rampant and no one really gives a shit.

I know back home there have been a number of cases recently of Chinese imports turning out to be fake or incorrectly labeled. It makes headline news, and more and more people are boycotting in favor of spending a little more on the real deal. However, you can only do that if you have a choice, and for some products available in Taiwan you really don’t have much choice other than going to somewhere like Jasons and paying through the nose for imports. But besides that, it’s a sad day when it’s common knowledge that you have to take local labeling with a grain of salt.

My mis-type…in the post it should be BERTOLI in stead of ‘Borges.’
Typing one thing while thinking another…my mistake.

I’ve not found any BERTOLI EV Cold Pressed here…only the ‘Virgin’ and ‘Light’ Bertoli marque.

Do not fool yourself neither that Bertolli is as much Italian as you think.
(though their quality is indeed good)

CeeVee -
Thanks for that info.
I have always been happy with Bertollis’ quality. It was never a 1st choice quality wise, but it seemed to always be a dependable product.
I have used an liked olive oil from the countries listed - “Tunisia, Turkey, Spain or Greece.” - as a choice in buying.
Sorry to see the mis-labeling.

It really doesn’t matter what the label says. If it’s bottled here, don’t trust it. Given the chance, a local company will cut the oil with cheaper oils in order to cut costs and pocket more $. If the oil is imported anyway, just get foreign packaged as well. I found the Costco brand to be a good everyday oil.

The example you give is a foreign sourced and foreign bottled spring water offered by a foreign company. Being from that part of the world (and knowing the particular brand as well), I’d trust this particular water to be clean.

Yeah that is about the correct approach I guess. My point is, you really can’t be 100% sure, and when it comes to food that is a real shame IMHO.

[been a while since I’ve seen you Stimpy!]

100% Extra virgin is not for cooking, when heated it’s not as healthy anymore … for cooking you better use a blend of olive and grape seed oil or pure grape seed oil … even a blend of olive and another good oil is better then 100% virgin … use 100% virgin as salad oil or similar use …

On the other hand yes, in Taiwan you need to be careful what you buy … oils can be mixes of whatever oils they have available …
I suppose there is no law that tells them how many percentage of what oil needs to be in the bottle to justify the name …

BTW, there are some oils that are similar health wise or even better then olive oil, but maybe not available in Taiwan and rather expensive …

Hey Truant, don’t forget that Penn & Teller show in which they debunk American bottled water. What was it again? “Alaskan Spring” made out of icebergs or something, supposedly. Actually tap water from a petrochemical plant in Corpus Christi. Read the small print!

Holy f**k!! I almost threw up just reading that story. :sick:

That manufactured egg stuff is simply that - manufactured. However, there is a scrambled product sold in the U.S. that is manufactured. Anybody that has been in the military service has eaten their fair share of manufactured scrambled eggs. Get to chow a little late and the stainless steel pan had turned the so called eggs a nice color of green. Gives a new meaning to the book Green Eggs and Ham. When they discover a way to produce a protein rich substitute for fresh eggs, the third world countries will not be protein shy any longer. It hasn’t happened yet and until we can develop a “Star Trek” style replicator, I doubt you will see them.

Sorry to hear that, Truant. It’s a shame, really.

I’ll bring you a couple of bottles of extra super virgin olive oil I think I can do a six pack of 3-oz. bottles as long as I keep them in a 1-qt Ziploc. Is that enough?

Just pack 'em in your checked luggage.

I’ve brought substantial volumes of beer and bourbon in my checked bags over the years and as recently as this past August.

This brand Datong is in the news now for adulterating their oils. I thought of this thread right away.

Nice excavation. Many of the earlier comments were right on. Interesting that it took so long for this scandal to be publicly exposed when it was so obvious to savvy users that the locally bottled oil was not what it claimed.

I wonder if Truant did file the complaint or not in 2007. If he did, he should sue the government of act of negligence.

At the base of most food related problems is the absolute naivity of most Taiwanese … they believe anything you tell them … later they wake up through a media article and go ballistic … and demand SGS quality approval documented in every store …

Having said that, this was posted by me in 2007 … " On the other hand yes, in Taiwan you need to be careful what you buy … oils can be mixes of whatever oils they have available …
I suppose there is no law that tells them how many percentage of what oil needs to be in the bottle to justify the name …"

OK, I didn’t mention additives they use …

Just to say that the government here is not spying on us

:smiley:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I don’t agree with the idea that Taiwanese consumers are gullible. In fact, I’d say they are much more suspicious and likely to doubt than western consumers. They have to be. These kinds of problems are not new. They’ve been occurring for many years, and occur in many forms that are ongoing and often unreported (think it’s safe that piping hot street vendor noodles are put in plastic baggies? Many bottled water brands are nothing more than untreated tap water. The list goes on). The problem is there is not enough proactive oversight and inspecting going on. Everything seems to get discovered after the fact, after some expose of sorts by the media, and always after it has been sold and consumed for a long time. Then there is the general lack of morality among many in business here, a sort of a “trick consumers and get the money by any means possible” ethos. After the latest “poison starch” scandal, one exec even had the nerve to blame consumers for the problem, claiming consumer demand for low prices led to industrial chemicals, unsuited for human consumption, being used as ingredients. Years ago, I used to wonder why locals had such a preference for imported goods. Not any more. You can’t trust some of the local greedy bastards not to poison you or your family, and the government will only close the barn door on problems after they have been discovered by someone other than them. Bottom line is consumers here are far less protected here than in many of our home countries.

But, if you filed the complaint in 2007, the government should have banned the selling of those stuffs much earlier than now. They should have known the problem much earlier than now. Why?? Therefore a law suit should have been addressed to their act of negligence.

That group that was recommended to file a complaint to was the Consumer association, which is not a government group but a private group which looks after consumer affairs , as far as I know.

On their website (Chinese) they mention they did survey oils sold in retail outlets in 2007 and mentioned many problems with the labeling of oils, however they seemed more focused on mis-labeling of saturated fats and expiry dates at the time.

They also recommend various ways to cook more food more healthily and which oils you should cook with. They were also very concerned about oil expiry dates and how quickly oil should be used once opened (for instance they recommended using smaller containers rather than larger ones as these will be used up more quickly).

They didn’t seem to focus on verifying the oil ingredients at the time, and to be honest that is the government’s job and they do not have the power to do an audit in a manufacturer’s factory

The mislabeling and fraud with food stuffs is an open secret in Taiwan, so either the government doesn’t take it seriously or the inspectors take ‘hong baos’ to ignore it.