Fake Medal Standings

Yahoo! Sports rank number one, among other sites which reports the Beijing Olympics, in convoluting figures of medal tally to come up with table standings that ranks America on the top spot.

Yahoo! Sports - The REAL Olympic medal count:
…our version of the Olympic medal count, which ignores results for judged sports…The events thrown out of our medal tally are: diving, equestrian, gymnastics, judo, synchronized swimming, taekwondo, trampoline and wrestling

In the U.S., all medals are counted, so the Americans still hold a lead…by that standard…China’s system of athletics places value on the medal count above all – as opposed to professional success or athlete choice” - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports columnist.

So, now it’s QUANTITY instead of QUALITY.

Yahoo! Sports - 36 facts about the Olympic medal count:

These so-called ‘standards‘ or ‘systems‘ are NEWLY cooked up. They’re not real but fake as it contradicts with the usual standard used for decades and in several other sporting events.

What do you think? I think instead of saving-face, they end up losing-face.

And if you measure gold medals per capita, China comes in last!

And then if you multiply by PI and then Plank’s constant, you get a bigger number!

wow!

I thought the total medal count was:

USA - 110
PRC/CCp - 100

Is this count wrong?

If you count all the EU countries as one team they’d beat China.

Actually if you count all the Anglosphere countries, The US, The UK, Australia and the other ones I can’t remember now as one country they would also beat China.

news.google.com/?ned=us&topic=o

Total Olympic medal count on top right side of page

Ethiopia finished ahead of Canada in the standings with a total of 7. Canada has 18 but one less gold. I would say Canada should be ranked higher no? America should be number 1.

Belgium did better than 75% of participating countries … wow!

the most worrying thing about the Chinese medal tally, and i am very surprised that this has not been raised before, or elsewhere, is the spread of medals among the three classifications: gold, silver and bronze. the Chinese tally stands close to a 3:1:1 ratio, while the tally for just about every other country (if you exclude those with only one or two medals, as you should in this kind of analysis) is much closer to the expected ratio of 1:1:1.

the main problem, and this has been raised elsewhere, is that most of these golds were won in the sports where judging, rather than objective outcomes, like furthest or highest) played a large part.

this certainly rings alarm bells regarding the partiality of judges, with predetermined arrangements, biased judging, rigged counting methods, and so on all potential candidates for such a discrepancy.

i am not saying that this WAS the case, i am just commenting on the possibility. when you take away the judged medals, as the OP reported, then the ratio falls magically back to the expected 1:1:1 ratio.

weird, hey?

Weird? Not when you consider who you’re talking about.

I’m skeptical of your judged competitor theory, so let’s take a look (I’m doing this as I write it, so i don’t know the outcome):

1. I bolded all the gold medals
  2. I counted (what I think and correct me here) what I believe are judged contests and non-judged
  3. btw, this list is from yahoo; they say there’s 51 golds, but they list 47??
  4. 22 OUT OF 47: 47%, so 51-22 is 29, so about 1:1:1.
  5. qualitatively speaking though, you may notice that all those medals (except judo) are gymnastics and diving which China traditionally has strong teams. I didn’t watch judo, but gymnastics and diving, it seemed to me there was no contest, no controversy (in the scoring at least), certainly not like the pairs skating scandal (russian and canadian pairs).
  6. if anything, I would point out how far the PRC has come in changing that ratio with Non-judged sports outside of gymnastics and diving (which by itself would also hold up the ratio). I mean a gold in canoeing? sailing? rowing? 200m butterfly? These are quite exceptional achievements. (Ok, badminton and ping pong is not surprising, but archery, I understand china historically lost out to the koreans)
  7. so, to me, it doesn’t seem like we could deduce a conspiracy from the numbers, but if you have any relevant info, i’m all ears.

Silver Gymnastics Rhythmic Gymnastics Group Competition
Silver Diving Men’s 10-Meter Platform
Bronze Volleyball Women
Gold Canoe/Kayak Men’s Canoe Doubles 500m 1 N
Bronze Synchronized Swimming Women’s Team
Bronze Taekwondo Men’s Welterweight (68-80 kg)
Gold Diving Women’s 10-Meter Platform 2 Y 1
Bronze Diving Women’s 10-Meter Platform
Silver Beach Volleyball Women
Bronze Beach Volleyball Women
Gold Taekwondo Women’s Flyweight (Under 49 kg) 3Y 2
Bronze Track & Field Women’s Hammer Throw
Gold Sailing Women’s RS:X - Windsurfer 4 N
Gold Diving Men’s 3-Meter Springboard 5 Y 3
Bronze Diving Men’s 3-Meter Springboard
Gold Gymnastics Men’s Trampoline 6 Y 4
Bronze Gymnastics Men’s Trampoline
Gold Gymnastics Men’s Horizontal Bar 7 Y 5
Bronze Gymnastics Women’s Balance Beam
Bronze Cycling Women’s Sprint
Gold Gymnastics Men’s Parallel Bars 8 Y 6
Bronze Sailing Women’s Laser Radial - One-Person Dinghy
Gold Gymnastics Women’s Trampoline 9 Y 7
Gold Table Tennis Men’s Team 10 N
Gold Gymnastics Women’s Uneven Parallel Bars 11 Y 8
Bronze Gymnastics Women’s Uneven Parallel Bars
Gold Gymnastics Men’s Rings 12 Y 9
Silver Gymnastics Men’s Rings
Gold Badminton Men’s Singles 13 N
Bronze Badminton Men’s Singles
Gold Diving Women’s 3-Meter Springboard 14 Y 10
Bronze Diving Women’s 3-Meter Springboard
Gold Gymnastics Men’s Pommel Horse 15 Y 11
Bronze Badminton Mixed Doubles
Gold Table Tennis Women’s Team 16 N
Bronze Gymnastics Women’s Horse Vault
Gold Gymnastics Men’s Floor Exercise 17 Y 12
Gold Rowing Women’s Quadruple Sculls Without Coxswain 18 N
Gold Wrestling Women’s Freestyle 63-72 kg 19 Y 13
Gold Shooting Men’s 50-Meter Free Rifle Three Positions (3x40 Shots) 20 N
Bronze Swimming Women’s 4x100-Meter Medley Relay
Bronze Track & Field Women’s Marathon
Bronze Tennis Women’s Doubles
Silver Badminton Men’s Doubles
Silver Wrestling Women’s Freestyle 48-55 kg
Silver Rowing Women’s Pair Without Coxswain
Gold Badminton Women’s Singles 21 N
Silver Badminton Women’s Singles
Gold Badminton Women’s Doubles 22 N
Bronze Badminton Women’s Doubles
Gold Weightlifting Men’s 77-85 kg 23 N
Gold Judo Women’s Heavyweight (Over 78 kg) 24 Y 14
Gold Weightlifting Women’s 69-75 kg 25 N
Bronze Gymnastics Women’s Individual All-Around
Silver Fencing Women’s Team Sabre
Gold Judo Women’s Half Heavyweight (70-78 kg) 26 Y 15
Gold Archery Women’s Individual (70 Meter) 27 N
Gold Shooting Women’s 50-Meter Standard Rifle Three Positions (3x20 Shots) 28 N
Silver Swimming Women’s 4x200-Meter Freestyle Relay
Gold Gymnastics Men’s Individual All-Around 29 Y 16
Gold Swimming Women’s 200-Meter Butterfly 30 N
Silver Swimming Women’s 200-Meter Butterfly
Silver Weightlifting Men’s 69-77 kg
Silver Wrestling Men’s Greco-Roman 66-74 kg
Gold Weightlifting Women’s 63-69 kg 31 N
Gold Shooting Women’s 25-Meter Sport Pistol (30+30 Shots) 32 N
Gold Diving Men’s Synchronized 3-Meter Springboard 33 Y 17
Gold Gymnastics Women’s Team 34 Y 18
Bronze Swimming Women’s 200-Meter Freestyle
Gold Fencing Men’s Individual Sabre 35 N
Gold Weightlifting Men’s 62-69 kg 36 N
Bronze Shooting Men’s Double Trap (150 Targets)
Gold Diving Women’s Synchromnized 10-Meter Platform 37 Y 19
Silver Shooting Men’s 50-Meter Free Pistol (60 Shots)
Gold Gymnastics Men’s Team 38
Gold Weightlifting Men’s 56-62 kg 39 N
Bronze Judo Women’s Lightweight (52-58 kg)
Bronze Archery Men’s Team
Gold Weightlifting Women’s 53-58 kg 40 N
Gold Diving Men’s Synchronized 10-Meter Platform 41 Y 20
Silver Shooting Men’s 10-Meter Air Rifle (60 Shots)
Gold Weightlifting Men’s Under 56 kg 42 N
Silver Archery Women’s Team
Gold Judo Women’s Half Lightweight (48-52 kg) 43 Y 21
Gold Diving Women’s Synchromized 3-Meter Springboard 44 Y 22
Gold Shooting Women’s 10-Meter Air Pistol (40 Shots)45 N
Silver Swimming Men’s 400-Meter Freestyle
Gold Shooting Men’s 10-Meter Air Pistol (60 Shots) 46 N
Gold Weightlifting Women’s Under 48 kg 47 N

TainanCowboy: [color=green]Is this count wrong?[/color]

No, it was right. And you were right too.

The figure I quoted here was from the articles which reports on the Games at the time, days before the end of the Olympic Games.

Probably all distance runners too. I watched the 1500 or 5000 meters (I forget which) and 4 of the top five finishers were from Ethiopia or Kenya. Tiny little guys, but they sure can run.

apparently, this passes for journalism at the WSJ:

blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/who-won … -ways-402/

Probably all distance runners too. I watched the 1500 or 5000 meters (I forget which) and 4 of the top five finishers were from Ethiopia or Kenya. Tiny little guys, but they sure can run.[/quote]

They have to, there are lions out there! :smiley:

[quote=“Jack Burton”]apparently, this passes for journalism at the WSJ:

blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/who-won … -ways-402/[/quote]

Seems pretty balanced to me. The article was tl;dr but the conclusion seemed quite reasonable to me.

[quote=“urodacus”]the main problem, and this has been raised elsewhere, is that most of these golds were won in the sports where judging, rather than objective outcomes, like furthest or highest) played a large part.

this certainly rings alarm bells regarding the partiality of judges, with predetermined arrangements, biased judging, rigged counting methods, and so on all potential candidates for such a discrepancy.

I am not saying that this WAS the case, I am just commenting on the possibility. when you take away the judged medals, as the OP reported, then the ratio falls magically back to the expected 1:1:1 ratio.

weird, hey?[/quote]

Not really, if you take away the medals in gymnastics and diving, where China has always been good at, they still have 35 gold medals. Also if you look at the winning margin, especially in diving, you’ll going find that they’re often quite large. I don’t see how you can question the partiality of judges when those Chinese athletes were clearly better than the silver medalist. Also, many of those judges come from Europe. If anything they’re parital against China.

[quote=“ABC”][quote=“urodacus”]the main problem, and this has been raised elsewhere, is that most of these golds were won in the sports where judging, rather than objective outcomes, like furthest or highest) played a large part.

I am not saying that this WAS the case, I am just commenting on the possibility. when you take away the judged medals, as the OP reported, then the ratio falls magically back to the expected 1:1:1 ratio.

weird, hey?[/quote]

Not really, if you take away the medals in gymnastics and diving, where China has always been good at, they still have 35 gold medals. Also if you look at the winning margin, especially in diving, you’ll going find that they’re often quite large. I don’t see how you can question the partiality of judges when those Chinese athletes were clearly better than the silver medalist. Also, many of those judges come from Europe. If anything they’re parital against China.[/quote]

Ahh… the irony. (pls see my post above)

How stupid. all this hoopla about how the count the medals, now the Euros are getting in on this joke:

businessweek.com/globalbiz/c … l+business