Falling IQs

Its all bullshit. First of all its only dropping in some countries and even then the reason is the exact same reason that East Asians score higher. IQ is not really intelligence.

1 Like

norway, or for that matter europe, is a highly multi-cultural society.

imagine how the test scores are if 30% are not of native language in asian countries.

Agree. IQ is a test of very specific and unnatural* problem solving. Additionally, IQ tests are not aligned globally nor widely tested. IQ tests seem to exist as yet another numerical measure we give ourselves to compare sausage length.

*Unnatural in the sense that finding the common pattern of index given a pattern of numbers is not something you will ever really need to do outside of the test itself. It’s null and void.

1 Like

From my understanding of the subject, IQ is still a very reliable indicator of mental capability and success. I don’t think it’s as trivial as your putting it. People who are very smart and successful, have high IQ. While people who are not very smart and live in the bottom, usually have low IQ.

I don’t really agree with this. I think IQ values are an imperfect measure of the thing we refer to as intelligence, where higher/lower values are correlated with people others would consider smart/dumb.

I’ve only ever done the (even more imperfect) online tests for fun, but my recollection is that there are various types of questions, some of which seem related to aspects of intelligence with real-world applications, e.g., spatial awareness, logical reasoning, recognizing patterns.

However imperfect the tests are, there’s no reason to think that “intelligence” is a thing that can’t be quantified or that there’s never any reason to do so (I remember hearing or reading somewhere that one of the reasons for studying/developing such tests was to determine a person’s suitability for military service, i.e., the minimum intelligence someone could have to be “useful”, but that might just be a myth).

1 Like

Exactly my thinking and my understanding of it. It is not intelligence, but it is one of the most useful and accurate measurement of intelligence we have. Certainly not perfect and probably filled with many human biases but it’s not some meaningless thing,

1 Like

I agree that it is measuring something and that it is the closest we have come to quantifiying intelligence. But it is still just a subset of intelligence (and I’m not talking about EQ which is entirely subjective and bogus imo). To say we are becoming dumber just based on this is too soft sciency. East Asians score much much higher on these tests than the average American or European but are they smarter? I think its just that their education provides them with skills that are more useful in these tests.

1 Like

Agreed!

(I duno how to do the whole nested reply quote message thing. I guess my IQ is too low :cowboy_hat_face:)

Yes stats show flying is safer now then when pilots flew the planes

Just that if the autopilot fails now your real pilot may not be able to handle it either

Intelligence is just what’s above average
If the average is lower but the smartest are still ten pct smarter then the smart are still just as smart right ?

At least among peers

A 21st century person dropped into the 12th century could appear to be very smart
Even if he was below the curve among his peers

I think

they’re not flying on autopilot the entire time. they’re all trained for certain situations to fly manually but of course not everyone’s a sully who could land a plane safely on the hudson river.
i still prefer them to stick to the sop rather than having a wright brother in the cockpit.

There’s minimum, and there’s maximum. :yin_yang:

That’s the order I was supposed to do things in?! Ah crap. Oh well, now my grades make more sense.

1 Like

They couldn’t plow a furrow, birth a calf. thatch a roof or, if a knight, properly guide a warhorse while couching a lance. What a dunderhead!

6 Likes

I blame Forumosa for my falling IQ.

Nothing to do with IQ. It’s practicing and body/brain coordination.

It’s all in the udder. :popcorn:

But you could perform at least one of Mike’s 12th century tasks, right? :cow: :baby:

Just the first one. I guess I’m a serf. :pensive:

You’re sterile and can’t midwife? My condolences. :slightly_frowning_face: