Falsely accused of assault: potential consequences?

I won’t go into details but I was assaulted by a Taiwanese and after I reported it to the police, my attacker accused me of assault, saying he has medical evidence of a scratch. The prosecutor has now charged both of us with assault. Does anyone have any useful experience of going to court for this?

I have in the meantime applied to the Legal Aid Foundation.

1 Like

No advice other than record EVERYTHING! Get a new micro sd for your phone and record every conversation and back them up. especially police/lawyer/their phone calls etc. Everything. A spiteful person is nothing but a problem. Buckle up, it s not fun.

Also get copies of everything. Doctor visits, police reports etc. Demand hard copies of everything. Even if the police refuse. :rage::crazy_face: demand an official copy!

12 Likes

Thanks. Not really answering my query re trip to court/potential punishments/mediation, etc.

Would this be related to your issues with your previous employer?

Get a lawyer asap.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t get Legal Aid.

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: From falsely accused

The only experience I’ve had is someone falsely accused me of assault. The locals that were there laughed at them. The owners of the business where I was refused to call the police (they knew I trained with a bunch of their senior officers including the superintendent of the station). The business owners ended up losing the contract to manage the facility (which they blamed on me even though is was a retired public servant that put the complaint in about them).

At the end of the day nothing happened to me. As others have said record everything. Also request cctv footage from the place where it happened if any exists. You have to do that pretty quick. Lawyer up.

1 Like

No!

This has progressed, as I explained, to the point of my being prosecuted. I was hoping someone might have experience of what may come next.

Re speaking to the police, I provided a written statement and declined to answer any questions when they interviewed me.

You aren’t going to find many with this type of experience. It doesn’t happen that often.

All anyone can say is get a good lawyer. I provided one that is good but not terribly expensive and don’t do anything without a lawyer’s direction. The fact that you are this far without a lawyer is troubling.

Don’t talk to the police!

5 Likes

I can’t believe the prosecutor views my accuser’s claim that I pinched him as constituting assault. Not only is that the full extent of his “injuries,” but he and his father insist that I furiously attacked him not once but twice. My own injuries they claim were sustained by a bookcase falling on me during this incident, not from my being punched. All completely ludicrous, except for the fact I now face a trial.

I get this. Call my lawyer asap so he can help you get out of this.

Legal aid is useless. You need to avoid this on your record.

4 Likes

Without your lawyer present.

I just won my lawsuit and now need to hire a lawyer. :frowning:

Yep. It sucks. I know. But this is the best I can do for you. You’re getting a Taiwanese Canadian that is fluent in English.

1 Like

Being charged with assault is nothing you should deal with by yourself without legal advice. I wouldn’t even do that in my home country.

6 Likes

You got great advice so far. Taiwanese police are F’ing useless. Truly and historically just about as usefull as a stool. Often they are worse and overstep thee bounds whih is illegal. Record everything!! No matter how dumb it seems. Doctors, mechanics, construction companies etc (what i call second tier legal liabilities, depending on your specific situation) are so far beyond corrupt may a well. Lets just say nothing good will happen for you unless youa r bringing them on the take.

Here is what everyone has said but put very very blunt (sorry, it hurts but the truth will make life easier). Taiwanese are very friendly people in general and love face. If it makes them look good in public ,they will treat you like gold. If its the opposite they will spite you, and even themselves (ironically) to make you suffer. I love taiwanese more than anything. But they are often quite immature and not ready for mature conversations. You need to know that going in as to avert offending their prissy ass and making things drag on for 3 years. This is VERY common in taiwan and is a very REAL problem in courts. Agood lawyer will tell you the same usually in a more face saving fashion. Regardless of race or citizenship . It happens the same amongst locals. And the court system is essenially a pile of shit. Nevermind flooded with straight retarded cases that waste public money. But the are still shyte regardelss of that. So you need to learn to play the game. Justice is just a silly fantasy in most countries. Taiwan is no different.

So, again, the best advice you can get online without a lawyer is record EVERYTHING and keep it for decades. Never underestimate entitled spoiled little D bags with more free time than brains. Hire a lawyer so that you dont get emotional and fuck up the whole situation (as basically any innocent person does during periods of complete assault!). Later counter sue or ask your lawyer how to go about making them pay for your expenses.

Now a days people are standing up more and more against this bullshit sue system of fear. It is very real and very common in taiwan. If you are right, and can prove it…go for blood. F*ck those assholes trying to bleed innocent people dry. Teach them to think twice about this morally corrupt career path. At least leeches feed for survival, these d bags do it for kicks de to their mental illness. Sue until they are commited to a padded room and fed with sporks.

Thta all said you cant get solid advice here or anywhere public because no one knows you. People would be liable and dont even know if you are the victim or not. If it turns out you are the problem, everything i said in reverse. There is simply no way to know your case this way, and you certainly shouldnt post details publicly.

Welcome to taiwans justice system :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Damn, there’s a juice story behind it!
Are you sure you don’t want to share it with us?
I promise I won’t tell anybody! :popcorn:

Just kidding.
As @Explant mentioned above, it’s better for you to keep the details out of public eyes, at least until after the case is settled.

2 Likes

I know where you’re coming from, but I’ve just spent 2 years being dragged through the courts, so I don’t need any welcome to the justice system!

2 Likes