Family builds house to live in harmony with its environment

Not a stunning design looks-wise, but this guy has built an amazing, IMO, home that is using off the shelf technology, is energy-efficient and ‘eco’-friendly.

Family builds house to live in harmony with its environment

Its important to lead by example…Glass Houses

Amazing indeed. I wouldn’t have thought a house with so much glass would be energy efficient or environmentally friendly. I thought that having most of the house underground would be the way to go. This is how they do it out Cooper Pedy way.

Also in France. I remember visiting les residences troglodytes and eating in a troglodyte restaurant called Le Cave. Very cool inside and they didn’t have to go down into a basement to get to the wine “cellar”. It was in the next room.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]Amazing indeed. I wouldn’t have thought a house with so much glass would be energy efficient or environmentally friendly. [/quote]Think of greenhouses. Probably special glass too.

That’s sort of what I was thinking. Incredibly hot, and extremely uncomfortable to live in. Not sure how this helps.

That would make sense.

Amazing article, TC. Kind of a kitchen-sink approach.

I can remember, as a very young girl, visiting someone’s house once with my aunt. When we arrived, I asked my aunt if her friends were tiny people because only a very small part of their house was above ground. Even the door opened in and at the top of stairs, so that the entire door wasn’t above ground. I was creaped out by it because it felt a little alice-in-wonderland–kind of like visiting a family of moles, but they were people, of course.

That’s a nice house, but they’d better not throw any stones in it.

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]Amazing article, TC. Kind of a kitchen-sink approach.[/quote]Charlie J -
Yeah, that’s what got my attention about this one. He used available resources, obviously did his research and built it.
The efficiency levels he’s attained are amazing. I like the fact that he can switch back onto the grid if he has to. He’s being very realistic with his approach.

I’d like to see a breakdown of his hybrid equipment costs (he says its 400K to build the whole house and 30% more expensive) to see what parts he used and how much the individual costs are.

I also read somewhere that Chicago has some pretty advances skyscrapers in this area - for eg. greywater that is filtered through plants/mosses which in turn help cool the building. the greywater can then be fed back into the urinals, etc.