Family naturalization questions

Thank you so much :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Icon,
I actually did. I have enrolled for more than a year in one of the public schools that offer the Government Chinese Sponsored Lesson and yes, for free. However when I checked with HHR, they told me that since I am an APRC holder by profession and not married to Taiwanese, I need to study in any of their bigger Taiwan Universities instead to gain the 200 hours requirement :(. So I am looking at the possibility of taking the written exam instead since acquiring the 200 hours (450 NT/hour) is too costly. Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

Yipes! That is a very important detail. And yes, if your language skills are enough, then a 500 NTD test sounds more reasonable moneywise.

1 Like

yes it is :grinning:

If you acquire 200 hours of Chinese lessons that is sufficient and you don’t have to take the test?

Are you over 36 so you can dodge the military service?

Hi, All,
I think now I can give some update which might be useful for someone else.
The long story short. I decided to apply for Naturalization via high-level professionals route and, fortunately, passed. So, now I am a dual citizen. Though my family members are still foreigners and my dependents but their status was updated.
Here are some details:

1. The first step of the application for Naturalization via high-level professionals route is to get a recommendation letter. The process is described here Basically I checked the list of contact authorities and determined that I should try the Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST). So, I’ve sent them an email. Very soon I’ve got a response. This is what they wrote to me:
    如您要向科技部申請推薦理由書,
    (1) please send me the歸化國籍之高級專業人才推薦理由書
    (2) 當您填寫推薦理由書時,「被推薦者獲奬、專業才能、學術研究、參賽及有助我國利益等重要事蹟說明」欄位,請詳細且具體的提供說明。
    (3) 理由書中提及的獲奬、專業才能、學術研究、參賽及有助我國利益等重要事蹟,都應該要提供具體的證明文件資料(例如歸化對我國有助益的推薦函、論文著作、獲獎證書、專利證明、最高學歷推薦函、工作職場推薦函、在台擔保人願意擔負責任書、研究貢獻資料、產業貢獻佐證資料等等)。

我們會將您寄來的申請文件齊全,將送審查,如有不齊全,將會請您補件,最後依審查結果回覆您。
Then I provided them all my paperwork via mail… and about a month later got the recommendation letter. :grinning:
2. Application for Naturalization. With the recommendation letter in hand I visited my local HHR office. They explained me what else is needed and the next steps. The list of procedures and papers are almost the same with normal voluntary naturalization Just needed to add all those papers submitted to get the recommendation letter. About other formal requirements, in my case I still needed to prepare my home country criminal background check and Chinese proficiency test because I did not apply for them yet. Both took time. But after ~2 months I had everything and submitted my application. They said they did not know when my case will be reviewed at MOI. Also, I should be ready to come to the review meeting. But no one contacted me. I knew that I passed from a newspaper .:newspaper:… about 3 months after my application. A week later HHR called me to come to take my Naturalization certificate.
3. Application for Residence Permit and Settlement Permit at NIA.
Yeah, both permits are applied on the same time (1000NT and 600NT each). No any TARC and years waiting. It is worth to mention that even at that phase I still had to submit all my paperwork which I used to get the recommendation letter from MoST. It is like they wanted to review my case again and again from the beginning. Again no one knows when the permits will be ready (for sure longer than any regular case). The good thing is I could check the status of my applications online here with using the receipt numbers got from NIA. The residence permit was ready about 1.5 months later and the settlement permit around 3 weeks more. But NIA called me only after they received all the certificates.
4. Application for Household registration and ID at HHR office. Very quick and pleasant. AFAIK the same with regular process. Took ~10 min to get.
5. Again visit NIA to apply for my family purpose of residence change. They needed only my ID, nothing else. After 10 working day we got new ARC cards. Looks like my wife have working rights now :rofl:

So, the whole process took ~9 months. My family are still foreigners but they will apply few years later (with renouncing of cause).

13 Likes

very useful information! The link to contact authorities is not working…can you please let me know the email address to MoST? (I might fall in the same category) Thanks!

Yes, they updated their web-site.
Ok Here some new links :
1. the process
2. the list of contact authorities
Good luck!

dear

I finally got the recommendation Letter

Thanks again for your help

Another question

I was informed I need to pass a Chinese test…is it difficult?
I can barely speak , can read maybe 100 character , can write 1 or 2…:frowning:

Thanks again

2 Likes

Congratulations! IMHO that is the most significant step.
About the test, I am sure it is doable. In my case, I know Chinese even less than you describe but I made just 1 error at my exam. So, I would suggest you:

1. Be prepared for written test (not oral).
  2. Use Cracking the Naturalization Language Exam - A Guide by Northcoast_Surfer. Yes, it is old but still very useful!!!
  3. Use this Practice link to verify your answers

In my case, I spent about 2 weeks for practice and then successfully passed from the 1st attempt. Good luck!

P.S. By the way, Here is the updated questions with my comments which can help to memorize.
P.P.S. Here is original manual by Northcoast_Surfer (it should be read first).

2 Likes

WoW
Thanks a lot again!

1 Like

Did you have to renounce your original citizenship?

Sorry Alex

I cannot find any documents on the two last links (the one market Here in the PS and PPS)

Am I doing anything wrong ?
Thanks

I did not renounce, but my family are still my dependents.

I am sorry. The links expired so fast. Please, try again. I uploaded files on another share.

Thanks a lot again!

1 Like

Dear Alex, sorry to bother you again

while the first link is working (thanks a lot!) the second one (the original manual by Northcoast Surfer is pointing to a manual Computational_photonics_an_introduction_with_matlab.pdf

Is it the correct one? (If so I am in trouble …:slight_smile:)

thanks again

I am sorry again. That is not correct file. I will fix it tonight.

no rush…thanks…!

Meanwhile a friend got from the HH the test…kind of different…

252 questions of this one

Test1

237 of this one

Test2

any ideas?

thanks

The difference here is that one is a written test (筆試) and one is a spoken test (口試).

Thanks
So I should look only at the written one,
Right?