Family Trip To Hokkaido 2008

I haven’t either–in Hakone and in Nagano. But I’ve heard of this case with the Yunohana Onsen in Otaru, Hokkaidō. Maybe it’s the only onsen with this policy in Hokkaido. They lost the lawsuit, so I guess they have to let everyone in.

[quote=“Wikipedia”]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arudou_Debito [/quote]

Yeah, the mountains there look pretty sweet.

Ah. Note the Russian. I’ve had buddies picked up in Hokkaido on suspicion of being Russian. :laughing: Japan’s still pissed about those northern islands.

Still, some people in Japan can be pretty hostile to foreigners. I didn’t have much problem, but it was there. Still, one or two bastards don’t count for much weighed against 99 very warm, welcoming others.

Now that is how to write travel literature. :notworthy: Maybe you should take it up.

I really like this pic.

Thanks E, :blush:

There are so many wonderful things about Japan to say. Traveling through the back country though, I think really made me feel at home. Small towns, friendly people and just stunning scenery made it just about perfect.

And this picture is one of faves too. As is the drift ice one. It’s surreal.

Bloody hell I miss Japan right now.

Write something about cockroaches or racism to level me back out please.

That is so cool. I’ve always wanted to go to Hokaido. I’ve been to Aomori which is just across the strait.

[quote=“TomHill”]Bloody hell I miss Japan right now.

Write something about cockroaches or racism to level me back out please.[/quote]
The roaches here are holding their balls to keep warm Tom. It’s freezing time in the concrete blocks. Racism? Ok, as long as you’re still white, you’re still an English teacher in Taiwan.

ANYwho, here are few more pics I dug up.

This is the scale of the drift ice that the close up did not allow. That’s a seal sitting on a chunk of ice,and that’s the open sea behind it. I have great videos of this. If there were EVER a time for acid, it was on this boat.

The frozen erosion preventers, or break walls, whatever you want to call them, looking like walruses.

I can’t believe I forgot this one. The boy in Sapporo airport waiting to fly back home. He was running up and down the airport growling and then attacked his poor mother.

I’m glad you guys enjoy the pics. I really enjoy sharing them.

jd

I’ve been to Hokkaido, but not in winter. Brrrrrr…