FamilyMart Alcohol Sanitiser

Any chance anyone knows if this stuff is beverage grade? Looking to make some bathtub gin and this stuff is cheaper than anything I can make in my still. But I prefer not to kill anyone in the process.

It says “Not food grade” on the label (red text, last line)

Just drink mini whiskey bottles that are near by.

But…

However, Taisugar clarified that only five bottles will be sold per day at each shop and that each customer will be limited to one bottle while supplies last.

I see this only making the hoarding mentality worse.

Very inefficient, cost wise

1 Like

That is quite unfortunate. You would think that a sugar company would produce food grade products.

This is just the same Ethanol stuff they sell at the pharmacy as a sanitiser.

I, however, as fancy as I am use Isopropanol. :sunglasses:

Seriously?
If it’s a joke…ok fine.
If you are serious…
Dude, come on. People need this for better reasons than your drinking holiday. Not cool.

Just trying to understand what it is that they’re selling.

Sounds like it is isopropyl alcohol, which I wouldn’t want to ingest regardless of the price. And which is exactly what they should be selling if the intended use is disinfection.

On the other hand, if they were selling food grade ethanol, it would indeed make for a nice drinking holiday. I as a small-scale home gin maker would make no difference in the bigger picture. In Taiwan large quantities would end up in fake whisky and cognac made in some obscure factories in Changhua…

It could well be food grade however if marked as such would be subject to a higher tax level. I would steer clear of drinking it though, proper alcohol is cheap here.

1 Like

I’d be extremely surprised if it was Isopropanol, especially since it’s from an alcohol company. It’s probably just Ethanol that didnt pass purity tests and they wanted to get rid of it.

Isopropanol seems to be only at chemical stores.

to the best of my knowledge they intentionally make it unsuitable for human consumption, they don’t want people buying hand sanitizer to get drunk.
imagine uncle ganbei thinking to himslef “this is cheaper than kaoliang and twice as strong, c/p zhi hen gao”
it is done all over the world, especially in places where there is a risk the homeless drunks will drink it straight and die…

2 Likes

Yeah is it Isopropyl that will make you insanely drunk pretty much instantly and then shut down all your organs in the process? Do you want to try that? Maybe just take a trip to Wuhan and experience the same euphoria.