Famous singers that were not 'born' singers?

My own singing possibly.
Also this. He sings very well here of course, within the range of his own limits.

Dylan decided that he wanted to be unique and instantly identifiable, so he adopted that odd singing style. Itā€™s not his natural voice. Donovan copied that from him.
Tom Waits and Cohen are natural baritones, and both storytellers. Their voices, whilst not technically perfect, define their personas. Nick Cave is dreadfully flat most of the time, but when we hear it, we know instantly that itā€™s him. He also tells stories (mostly, admittedly, banal).

What people perceive as affected whininess from Neil Young is actually his natural voice. Heā€™s out of tune most of the time. But who cares? He writes great songs.

And good singing can be learned. Myself, as an example, could never be a soprano Thatā€™s physiological. but I have, through years of practice, at least learned how to hold a tune and sing in key.

I think itā€™s a lot more about passion and will than genetics. If you donā€™t want to be a great pianist, painter, etc., then you wonā€™t be.

7 Likes

Iā€™d add that if one listens to Dylan croon in a song like Lay Lady Lay for example, they might get a bit of a different impression.

3 Likes
1 Like

As much as I think she never uses the true power of her voice, i believe Taylor Swift was the love child of a stock broker and a marketing executive.

If she continues on her latest trend of going back to being a country singer I might give her music a bit more than a cursory glance.

2 Likes

He did an album when he stopped smoking. Totally unrecognizable. Then he hits the sticks again. whew.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the lockdown talking. Yer out your mind.

And just to put this out there, NONE of the Grateful Dead could sing to save the tour. Hornsby was a kind and sweet interlude though in the early 90s.

Hereā€™s Jerry backing Bruce, the way it should have been in a perfect and boring world.

Sinatra was an impeccable singer.

3 Likes

Whatever @tommy525 is on Iā€™d like a hit.

1 Like

This. He did it intentionally because he wanted people focusing on the lyrics and not his voice.

Hereā€™s another one he sings in a more conventional voice.

2 Likes

And another, with another good singer!

2 Likes

That is true , we all have an innate singing range, but all can improve and with the right teacher in a dramatic fashion.

1 Like

Interesting. I canā€™t stand Donovan, either.

Let us not forget dear Kateā€¦ This must also be the cheapest music video.ever filmed too.
ā€œKate wear this red dress , take this mushroom tea, and sing on the Moors at first light.ā€

2 Likes

Oh, I dunno aboot that:

3 Likes

Russell Watson

Only Mick Jagger could get away with that shirt colour. I loved this when it came out , but now ummmm not so.sure :grinning:

This is right about the time when Bianca caught Mick and Dave in bed, dancing in the sheetsā€¦NOT that thereā€™s anything wrong with that! whewā€¦almost got cancelled!

2 Likes

They look like they are having a coronaparty in that video.

1 Like

Is that true? Mick is no Marc Almond. :thinking: