Famous US athlete indicted for dog fighting

A major development in the effort to stop dog fighting in America occurred yesterday with the indictment of a famous American football player.

[quote]The indictment handed down Tuesday against Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and three others describes in detail how they procured a property in Virginia for the purpose of staging dogfights, bought dogs, and then fought them there and in several other states over a six-year period. With at least three cooperating witnesses providing the details, federal authorities compiled a detailed case that traces the birth and rise of Bad Newz Kennels.

But not a single line in the 18-page indictment will generate more rage toward Vick and the others charged – Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor – than a sentence near the end. It reads: “In or about April of 2007, Peace, Phillips and Vick executed approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in ‘testing’ sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road by various methods, including hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog’s body to the ground.”[/quote]

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this case, a few months ago the police raided a home in Virginia owned by Michael Vick as part of a drug investigation against a cousin of Michael Vick who lived at that residence. During the raid, the police found evidence of an elaborate dog fighting facility at the home.

Michael Vick claimed ignorance, saying he only bought the home as an investment, didn’t live there, was the innocent victim of irresponsible family members who took advantage of his trust, and wasn’t involved in dog fighting. The indictment certainly alleges otherwise.

The significance of this case cannot be understated. Dog fighting is a serious problem in parts of the South and urban America, and has been glorified in rap videos, including one by Jay-Z. A recent story on CNN stated that one in five inner city children in Chicago have been exposed to dog fighting. Given Michael Vick’s popularity in urban America, this case presents a unique opportunity to bring this issue to the forefront and teach the American public, especially inner city youth, that dog fighting is a cruel and senseless crime – with serious consequences.

I wish the penalties were more severe! :fume:

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f … index.html[/quote]

How can he be famous? I’ve never heard of him. I think anyone who gets involved with dogfighting should get the same treatment as the dogs will have to get.

Too long in Taiwan, perhaps? :wink:

Michael Vick is a very well known athlete in the US, the public face of an NFL team, the Atlanta Falcons, and his jersey is a big seller, especially among young people in the inner city where dog fighting is popular. Kids into dog fighting in American inner cities will know who Michael Vick is, and the fact that he could go to jail for dog fighting will help publicize the need to stop this disgusting - and criminal - behavior.

A guilty verdict with jail time against Vick would be huge.

I’ve been following this story and I am wishing for the absolute worst for Michael Vick.

The Kramer chair has been filled.

The new most hated of all who get hated on.

OJ got off, so this guy will probably get the chair.

I think he should get the pit. He should be made to fight one of his dogs naked and covered in pig lard.

Why do it? Is it some misplaced macho thing to have fighting dogs?

HG

He was bored.

Apparently making millions as a NFL football star isn’t as much fun as we were lead to believe.

Its OK to have fighting dogs… they’re good for lots of stuff other than fighting, and they’re perfectly happy not being forced to fight… so, its OK to have fighting dogs… just don’t fight them…

I might refine that one further - it is OK to raise fighting breeds if they are trained properly; but certainly not OK to have a fight trained dog. Working dogs are a different matter.

People should give me millions of dollars, cos I would act for world peace, well starting with my own peace of mind.

I feel like I just stumbled into a semantic minefield. So certain breeds are considered fighting dogs, as opposed to brutalising a dog into fight mode?

HG

Too long in Taiwan, perhaps? :wink:

Michael Vick is a very well known athlete in the US. . .[/quote]

He’s also a black quarterback, which has been rare historically and I understand is still pretty rare and would make him a special role model.

I think that’s exactly right. He was born to unwed parents and grew up in a public housing project in a depressed, crime-ridden neighborhood, with his father often absent and his mother working various low level jobs. Is it surprising that someone from such a background might have immature and socially unacceptable notions of macho?

But regardless of his background, his crime is heinous and I’m sure he’ll be punished severely for it. Definite jail time, perhaps missing an entire season or most of it and thereby sacrificing huge salary and losing endorsement deals, in addion to the big fine he’ll have to pay. Not just cruel and inhumane but totally stupid from a career/financial perspective. But, I guess he just hasn’t grown up yet.

Never mind the background, he’s simply an arsehole and should be penalised on the basis of that alone. All that other stuff is courtroom fluff usually tossed out to plead for a lesser sentence. Meaningless in the real scheme of things. In any case, those squillions he’s receieved as a sport star should have eased some of the hardship out of his life.

Much of what’s described above could be levelled at me, but I don’t brutalise animals, torture children or believe I have a problem with my identity. Any failings I do have I blame on myself for not dealing with in the here and now.

Not a snap at you, Mother, just a pet hate.

HG

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Is it surprising that someone from such a background might have immature and socially unacceptable notions of macho?.[/quote]

I don’t get this. Like there are no middle/upper class jerks in the world? Keep in mind also, that he’s a football player, working in a world that encourages a certain level of ‘violence’.

Dog fighting is just an a power thing and being that men need to have a sense of it for their manhood to ‘function’.

HG, I’m not making excuses for him at all. Just saying that it seems more likely someone from his background would engage in such disgusting behavior, notwithstanding the many millions he earns every year, than someone from a stable, middleclass background.

Money doesn’t equal class or maturity.

Look at how many people win the lottery but blow it all within a very short period. Look at former world champ millionaire Mike Tyson, who later served a prison sentence for rape and is now bankrupt. Look at all the other millionaire athletes and rap stars who have been involved in rapes, shootings, giant drug busts and other stupidity, that one might think they would have outgrown once they became filthy rich and famous. But money doesn’t cure one of a lousy upbringing and stupid and violent impulses.

Namahottie, sure there are plenty of jerks who grew up in stable, middleclass backgrounds, but surely the formative years of ones life have an influence on who one grows up to be, don’t they? Doesn’t one start out at a disadvantage in life if one grows up in an unstable household in a poor violent neighborhood? Isn’t it more likely that child may have issues with violence than a child who’s lucky enough to grow up in a better environment?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I’m not making excuses for him at all. Just saying that it seems more likely someone from his background would engage in such disgusting behavior, notwithstanding the many millions he earns every year, than someone from a stable, middleclass background.

Look at how many people win the lottery but blow it all within a very short period. Look at former world champ millionaire Mike Tyson, who later served a prison sentence for rape and is now bankrupt. Look at all the other millionaire athletes and rap stars who have been involved in rapes, shootings, giant drug busts and other stupidity, that one might think they would have outgrown once they became filthy rich and famous. But money doesn’t cure one of a lousy upbringing and stupid and violent impulses.[/quote]

It’s not his background totally that is the reason for his disgusting behavior. It’s his mentality. But I suspect what you’re getting at, you just can’t come out and say it.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

Look at how many people win the lottery but blow it all within a very short period. Look at former world champ millionaire Mike Tyson, who later served a prison sentence for rape and is now bankrupt. Look at all the other millionaire athletes and rap stars who have been involved in rapes, shootings, giant drug busts and other stupidity, that one might think they would have outgrown once they became filthy rich and famous. But money doesn’t cure one of a lousy upbringing and stupid and violent impulses.[/quote]

Don’t want to be a shit-stirrer or anything, But I want to beat Namahottie to the punch where she inevitably points out that most of your examples there are African American folk (or pursue music thats traditionally perceived as “black”). :wink:

I have heard that dog fighting is on the increase in the UK, and evidence seems to suggest that gangs are raising dogs for fighting purposes. They claim its better to do this than to have fights with guns.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Namahottie, sure there are plenty of jerks who grew up in stable, middleclass backgrounds, but surely the formative years of ones life have an influence on who one grows up to be, don’t they? Doesn’t one start out at a disadvantage in life if one grows up in an unstable household in a poor violent neighborhood? Isn’t it more likely that child may have issues with violence than a child who’s lucky enough to grow up in a better environment?[/quote]

What’s your reasoning for Bush, the Kennedy’s and other similar people whose behaviours have been less than exempt?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I’m not making excuses for him at all. Just saying that it seems more likely someone from his background would engage in such disgusting behavior, notwithstanding the many millions he earns every year, than someone from a stable, middleclass background.

Something icky about people from good homes don’t do that. I certainly don’t think the middle class have a monopoly on loving families. But actually, you seem to be referring more to race AND class.

HG

Well you are a shit-stirrer. I never mentioned race and I believe race is completely irrelevant. It’s about class. I believe people who grow up in unstable households in poor, violent neighborhoods are more likely to grow up to be violent assholes than those who grow up in stable households in nice, comfortable neighborhoods. Of course there are exceptions. And, as I said, I don’t see that as any excuse for Vick’s behavior. If he’s guilty – which seems pretty obvious so far – he should be punished harshly.

But, I bet it’s not so common among the highly educated and families of old-wealth, is it?

(Though admittedly, they have their barbaric fox-hunting :s )