Famous US athlete indicted for dog fighting

No, they just tend to fund wars.

Well you are a shit-stirrer. I never mentioned race and I believe race is completely irrelevant [/quote]

Actually that last barb wasn’t aimed at you Mother “I’ll type first then think about it later” Theresa.
Just pointing out if you are going to write something where it can be perceived you are writing something against African Americans, Nama will show up with all guns blazin’ and horns a blowin’.

Anyway… terrible business, but isn’t celebrity and or famous life littered with flawed characters?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]But, I bet it’s not so common among the highly educated and families of old-wealth, is it?

(Though admittedly, they have their barbaric fox-hunting :s )[/quote]

And as Nama alluded to, a penchant for starting wars. Oh! And buggering boys and eating soggy biscuits.

HG

[color=green][distortion of another’s user name removed by mod][/color]

btw, Funk, that avatar is sick! :bravo:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]

But, I bet it’s not so common among the highly educated and families of old-wealth, is it?

[/quote]

No, they just tend to fund wars.[/quote]

That’s true but it’s different. Those with education and old wealth engage in distant violence where they don’t actually witness the death or dirty their hands (though many more are killed). Those without the same engage in more brutal, direct, hands-on violence, looking the guy in the eyes as they stab, strangle, shoot them (but they kill a lesser number).

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]

But, I bet it’s not so common among the highly educated and families of old-wealth, is it?

[/quote]

That’s true but it’s different. Those with education and old wealth engage in distant violence where they don’t actually witness the death or dirty their hands (though many more are killed). Those without the same engage in more brutal, direct, hands-on violence, looking the guy in the eyes as they stab, strangle, shoot them (but they kill a lesser number).[/quote]

So the educated rich are also smart?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]

[/quote]

That’s true but it’s different. Those with education and old wealth engage in distant violence where they don’t actually witness the death or dirty their hands (though many more are killed). Those without the same engage in more brutal, direct, hands-on violence, looking the guy in the eyes as they stab, strangle, shoot them (but they kill a lesser number).[/quote]

We’ll probably agree to disagree, but I don’t see one being less or more violent. I just see both as violent.

And what is namahort or nort or whatever JD?

Oh yes. Certain breeds are indeed (were indeed) bred to fight. The American Pit Bull Terrier is the classic example of a fighting dog. These dogs have what is referred to as “gameness”… which is basically a will to finish a task… or die trying.

A game dog will fight. But, that doesn’t mean that one need fight a game dog. That gameness in a dog makes him/her a wonderful dog for many other reasons. APBTs are being used as rescue dogs and as therapy dogs…

…and they excel at these jobs. They aim to please. The APBT was for many years the family work dog for Americans. Helen Keller had one. The Little Rascals had one. They were not people aggressive originally.

Its the assholes, like the Michael Vicks of this world, who think they are macho, who have transformed this wonderful breed into a feared breed. Its good people like our own Monster who rescue these wonderful dogs and who have them for companionship rather than for fighting. A good APBT makes for an excellent companion.

I will show up with birthday wishes, a kind word, and a helping hand. :smiley:

I remember reading a report years ago where, shock, horror (and that was the breathless tone), violence in the home was equally spread among middle and working class households. It’s a Brady Bunch myth to ascribe violence to class alone.

HG

[quote=“Tigerman”]
The Little Rascals had one. They were not people aggressive originally…[/quote]

I remember that episode where the pit bull chased Buckwheat around and around. :laughing:

But it’s stories like this one that keep the belief system that pit bulls and other like dogs are more violent in nature.

[quote]
We want to warn you that our top story is both bizarre and deeply disturbing. Police are investigating an apparent sexual attack by a family pit bull on a two-year-old boy in Lockport. The boy is at Women and Children’s Hospital. News 4’s Lorey Schultz reports.

This two-year-old pit bull shows no signs of aggression, but it did on Sunday when it apparently sodomized a Lockport toddler.

Residents who live in the neighborhood where it happened are still talking about it.

One neighbor said, “You hear about dogs attacking children in horror films, but as far as in this community, it’s never happened.”

Police say the boy was sexually assaulted in his Washburn Street home by his family’s two-year-old pit bull, who had been with them since it was a puppy.[/quote]

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I remember reading a report years ago where, shock, horror (and that was the breathless tone), violence in the home was equally spread among middle and working class households. It’s a Brady Bunch myth to ascribe violence to class alone.

HG[/quote]

No one said poverty or class are the only factors contributing to violence. But clearly they are significant factors.

health.yahoo.com/topic/relations … ise/te7724

mincava.umn.edu/documents/ex … andin.html

csvr.org.za/articles/artgend.htm

[quote][b]Component Elements of Adolescent Violence

• Chronic poverty, e.g., living in impoverished, high crime areas[/b]
  • Alcohol and illegal substance use/abuse
  • Racism
  • Misogyny
  • Homophobia
  • Personality traits e.g., low self-esteem, temperament
  • Parental influences and family conflict
  • Academic failure, including dropping out of school
  • Socio-cultural structural factors, e.g., acceptance of violence in problem solving/conflict resolution, minority oppression
  • Accessibility to firearms
  • Gang membership
  • Physical and sexual abuse victimization [/quote]
    ag.arizona.edu/fcs/cyfernet/nowg/ythadolvio.html

And, the fact that one may emerge from such a background and later earn millions will not undo what one has learned growing up surrounded by poverty and violence.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070719/ap_ … indictment

There seems to be something odd about that sentence.

jdspidersensetingling

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

And, the fact that one may emerge from such a background and later earn millions will not undo what one has learned growing up surrounded by poverty and violence.[/quote]

That’s hogwash. Plenty of people have come from poverty and learned to channel their negative surroundings and influence into something positive. While Micheal may not be the role model he could certainly live up to, lets not turn him into an example that reforces negative sterotypes.

jdspidersensetingling[/quote]

Only thing odd about it is–you forgot that one is innocent before being proven guilty. Doesn’t happen to often over there. :wink:

Hello! What just happened?

4 pages in 24 hours. I’m not saying this is not ok, but I do wish we could garner some of this passion and energy and channel it towards the ‘request for assistance’ type of messages both here and in Rescues & Adoptions, where we can generally hardly generate a single response…

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]

And, the fact that one may emerge from such a background and later earn millions will not undo what one has learned growing up surrounded by poverty and violence.[/quote]

That’s hogwash. Plenty of people have come from poverty and learned to channel their negative surroundings and influence into something positive. While Michael may not be the role model he could certainly live up to, lets not turn him into an example that reforces negative sterotypes.[/quote]

What negative stereotypes?

Do you deny that violence is more prevalent in poor, unstable households surrounded by poverty and violence than it is in stable households in more comfortable, peaceful surroundings?

Do you deny that one who grows up surrounded by violence is more likely to have violent impulses than one who does not?

Do you deny that one’s childhood (aka the formative years) plays any role in shaping who one becomes as an adult?

Of course I recognize that plenty of people who live in or rise out of the ghetto are exemplary model citizens, and I recognize that Michael Vick is just an individual – and apparently a pretty fucked up individual – but I thought the link between poverty and violence was pretty well established as well as the notion that violence begets more violence. I guess not all would agree.

Well…just to add to the show here…it seems that Mr. Vick is also a…Democrat!..tee hee heee…

Something New: Young People Take Action – The DNC Presents a Sophisticated, Late-night, Hip Hop and Alternative Educational Experience

…now I’m not sayin’ that one thing is connected to another…but…?

added:

Here is an article which pretty clearly lists the activities that Mr. Vick and his cohorts were engaged in. It is pretty darn gruesome and may be upsetting to some.

Falcons’ Vick charged with dogfighting

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Well…just to add to the show here…it seems that Mr. Vick is also a…Democrat!..tee hee heee…

Something New: Young People Take Action – The DNC Presents a Sophisticated, Late-night, Hip Hop and Alternative Educational Experience

…now I’m not sayin’ that one thing is connected to another…but…?[/quote]

That’s a relief, so at least the dogs weren’t sexually abused in the name of “family values”? :laughing:

HG

jdspidersensetingling[/quote]

Only thing odd about it is–you forgot that one is innocent before being proven guilty. Doesn’t happen to often over there. :wink:[/quote]
I didn’t forget anything. THAT was why my spidey sense was tingling. :slight_smile: