Fancy mod found hidden in my bike

Hi, last day I had my motorbike tyre changed on a “big” shop, and since the guy had to go to another shop for the replacement and I’m a guy who doesn’t like to be doing nothing… I took a tool and unmounted a plastic cover with the aim of taking a look at the air filter (and borrow for a while the air blower and clean it :smiley:). I found then something that surprised me a bit. The previous owner, or well, the one before, or… etc, had installed what looks like a computer fan on the cover of the air filter box. the work is a little bit bulky, though not so bad. A small cable was unplugged, so the fan is unlikely working for the moment, but I’m thinking if it would be any better to make it work again.

The fan is covered with some sort of think thread plastic sponge (like the one used for certain aquarium works), and the box has a number of thin metal mails coming out presumably for fixing the sponge. Even though it seems to me that this is not going to provide the machine with any extra HP, after doing some research I found that some people estate that this would help a little bit the engine to accelerate, specially on low revs.

Any opinion on this? any idea? I don’t think that this 12v fan is gonna spin over 5k or so r.p.m., but who knows…

Without seeing it I can’t be sure, but it sounds like an “electric supercharger”.

IIRC these can work if they are huge. A computer fan, er…isn’t. And doesn’t. In fact its a joke/con.

Its just concievable that its doing something useful, if there are, for example, any electronics, or possibly an oil cooler, that would benefit from the air flow, but from your description I think its unlikely.

[quote=“Ducked”]Without seeing it I can’t be sure, but it sounds like an “electric supercharger”.

IIRC these can work if they are huge. A computer fan, er…isn’t. And doesn’t. In fact its a joke/con.

Its just concievable that its doing something useful, if there are, for example, any electronics, or possibly an oil cooler, that would benefit from the air flow, but from your description I think its unlikely.[/quote]

Thanks for your answer. May be I will plug it for a couple of that until I get bored of the sound or it eventually spoils my battery, not sure. BTW, my bike is small (250cc), not sure if this affects your considerations.

What is an “electric supercharger”, though?

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“Ducked”]Without seeing it I can’t be sure, but it sounds like an “electric supercharger”.

Its just concievable that its doing something useful, if there are, for example, any electronics, or possibly an oil cooler, that would benefit from the air flow, but from your description I think its unlikely.[/quote]

Thanks for your answer. May be I will plug it for a couple of that until I get bored of the sound or it eventually spoils my battery, not sure. BTW, my bike is small (250cc), not sure if this affects your considerations.

What is an “electric supercharger”, though?[/quote]

Discussed here.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 0#p1061528

Thanks Ducked, now I understand that it´s exactly what it looks like xD

914 is hiding in your motorcycle?

Nope, but the one on the right:

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“Ducked”]Without seeing it I can’t be sure, but it sounds like an “electric supercharger”.

Thanks for your answer. May be I will plug it for a couple of that until I get bored of the sound or it eventually spoils my battery, not sure.[/quote]

Seems likely its reducing the air flow, compromising your air filtration, or both. I’d take it off and put your air filter back the way it was originally.

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“jesus80”][quote=“Ducked”]Without seeing it I can’t be sure, but it sounds like an “electric supercharger”.

Thanks for your answer. May be I will plug it for a couple of that until I get bored of the sound or it eventually spoils my battery, not sure.[/quote]

Seems likely its reducing the air flow, compromising your air filtration, or both. I’d take it off and put your air filter back the way it was originally.[/quote]

Definitely, that thing has no business there…

Yeah, it seems like I should do it, unless the computer fan can spin as fast as a reactor or something. It’s a pity, it’d be kinda fun to have that thing working there… but I started to suspect about the air intake/filter performance some time ago, and now I’ve got an evidence…