FAPA- Foreigner Association of Public Affairs

Does anyone know if there has been any attempt made to form a lobby group for people living in Taiwan regarded as “foreigners” by the majority of the population? What is the legality of this?

Well, I don’t know … I do know that Taiwanese people do get involved in protest marches and other political activities in the USA … and what I really can’t understand is: Don’t such activities violate their purpose of residency?

Why aren’t they deported?

If foreigners undertook such activities in Taiwan, considering that “human rights” are generally hush-hush topics here, that could be sensitive …

AFAIK, to register a legal civic organization you need 12 founding members with ID cards, ie. citizens. Kind of strange having a foreigner’s rights group headed by our spouses, no?

edit: Not really what you’re thinking of, but a quick search came up with this.

Perhaps we could buy off a large group of local government officials like this FAPA does.
fapa.org/TaiwanCaucus/index.html

Out of interest, where would you even go to register a nationwide civic organization here?

[quote]Out of interest, where would you even go to register a nationwide civic organization here?
[/quote]
From what I came to understand the process is pretty much straight forward for ROC nationals. Foreigners on the other hand will find it impossible to register an organization like the one mentioned above. Majority control would have to be given to ROC nationals similiar to Am Cham or Gateway.
What I would recommend is that you do what the Overseas Americans In Taiwan are in the process of doing. Register as an NGO in the States putting only Americans or foreigners on the board of directors in the US. Maintain a strong internet presence and use local volunteers to do the leg work.
Depending on the State, NGO’s are given all the priveledges of a private corporation and some additional responsibilities.
Plus federal and state tax exemption, free postal services, fund raising through specilized fund raising institutions as well as apply for and receive federal grants.

But its feasible. Is it needed? Perhaps the anomaly shows exactly why it is.

But its feasible. Is it needed? Perhaps the anomaly shows exactly why it is.[/quote]It appears a lot of the rules are from the period of KMT paranoia about communism and labor rights. The MOI publishes it’s rules for associations here (in Chinese) and a simplified version here in English. Thanks to Tigerman for the shove in the right direction :beer:

But its feasible. Is it needed? Perhaps the anomaly shows exactly why it is.[/quote]It appears a lot of the rules are from the period of KMT paranoia about communism and labor rights. The MOI publishes it’s rules for associations here (in Chinese) and a simplified version here in English. Thanks to Tigerman for the shove in the right direction :beer:[/quote]

Why don’t you just get caucasion 12 foreigners with ROC Id cards to start it up?

But its feasible. Is it needed? Perhaps the anomaly shows exactly why it is.[/quote]It appears a lot of the rules are from the period of KMT paranoia about communism and labor rights. The MOI publishes it’s rules for associations here (in Chinese) and a simplified version here in English. Thanks to Tigerman for the shove in the right direction :beer:[/quote]

Why don’t you just get caucasion 12 foreigners with ROC Id cards to start it up?

[quote=“Satellite TV”]

Why don’t you just get caucasion 12 foreigners with ROC Id cards to start it up?[/quote]

No dogs or Blacks, eh?

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote=“Boomer”]What I would recommend is that you do what the Overseas Americans in Taiwan are in the process of doing. Register as an NGO in the States putting only Americans or foreigners on the board of directors in the US. Maintain a strong internet presence and use local volunteers to do the leg work.
Depending on the State, NGO’s are given all the priveledges of a private corporation and some additional responsibilities.
Plus federal and state tax exemption, free postal services, fund raising through specilized fund raising institutions as well as apply for and receive federal grants.[/quote]

Sucking up the US tax payers money.

Maybe apply for UN status and get some cool blue helmets to wear around. Chicks really go for cool baby blue helmets. Get some t-shirts and stationary with really official looking letterheads. Raise some monies from unwitting dupes. Pay some bribes to Kofi & Company, get UN Observer status. Wooo Hoooo…

And people wonder why NGO’c are reagrded as nothing more than scams that foul up the inter-country political dialogue.

Doesn’t Mathew Lesko have a book out - “Creating NGO’s for Dummies!”

[quote]Sucking up the US tax payers money.

Maybe apply for UN status and get some cool blue helmets to wear around. Chicks really go for cool baby blue helmets. Get some t-shirts and stationary with really official looking letterheads. Raise some monies from unwitting dupes. Pay some bribes to Kofi & Company, get UN Observer status. Wooo Hoooo…

And people wonder why NGO’c are reagrded as nothing more than scams that foul up the inter-country political dialogue.

Doesn’t Mathew Lesko have a book out - “Creating NGO’s for Dummies!”

“I got soul…and I’m super-bad!..HUH!”…James Brown[/quote]

The way it was explained to me is NGO’s registered in Taiwan are not and can not be recognized by the UN as official organizations.
NGO’s registered in the US can apply to be registered as “Special and Roster status” so long as they pay the required fees/charges and meet the criteria for “UN Consultive Status” .
un.org/esa/coordination/ngo/

The biggest problem outside of the money issue that may come up is if you have the word “Taiwan” or “Formosa” in the name of the NGO. “Taiwan Straits” may be permissible.
“General Status” for NGO’s in the UN is cost prohibitive but if you got the money and/or clout you can probably make it happen.
un.org/esa/coordination/ngo/

Boomer,
Your post was concise and informative.It addressed some of the items of my post. It was professional and well done.
This in no way changes my opinion that 99.7% of NGO’s are little more than tax-scamming frauds created by individuals
with empty pockets and over-stuffed ego’s. And the all too frequent un-stated agenda.

[quote]Boomer,
Your post was concise and informative…[/quote]
An organization like the one mentioned above is what you make it. NGO’s are a tax write off because as a registered NGO any donations can be claimed as tax deductions.
That means donors are making a choice about where their tax dollars are going.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

Why don’t you just get caucasion 12 foreigners with ROC Id cards to start it up?[/quote]

No dogs or Blacks, eh?

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:[/quote]

Dogs… NO

I’ve never heard of a black caucasion, I know of an Afghani who is also an ROC citizen, we’ve met numerous times in the pst 16 years…

Wasnt trying to be limiting, oops sorry about the White Men Can’t Jump stereotyping

For the record.
If there is a group of people willing to put in the effort to make this come about I will be more than willing to assist.
Eric