Fastest Highways?

I often drive from Hsinchu down to Kenting or Taidong. Last weekend I drove the #3 down and mostly the #1 back home. Just curious if there are any drivers out there can give me the fastest route? I find that the #1 usually is more congested, especially when passing Taichung (the #3 is waaay better) but looking at the map it (the #1) also looks more straight forward with less curves.

To be more specific, was curious if say I should drive south first on the #1 then switch the the #3 after or before Taichung etc. Which routes are most straight forward while also avoiding the heavier congested areas.

Lastly does one highway have more tolls than the other? Any comments welcome.

I travel from Taichung - South and the #3 is so much better than the #1. I hate the #1 so would always opt for the #3 even if it were a little longer. The journey is much less stressful and the views from the #3 are nicer.

The 1 is more direct than the 3 from Taichung heading South. I think the 3 also has more tolls. On the map you can see how the 3 curves into Nantou county which adds on some time.
These are the reasons why the 1 is more popular than the 3.
The 3 is a much nicer and more relaxing drive of course.

Number 3 forever. Number 1 is horrible.

[quote=“HwozyPakba”]I often drive from Hsinchu down to Kending or Taidong. Last weekend I drove the #3 down and mostly the #1 back home. Just curious if there are any drivers out there can give me the fastest route? I find that the #1 usually is more congested, especially when passing Taichung (the #3 is waaay better) but looking at the map it (the #1) also looks more straight forward with less curves.

To be more specific, was curious if say I should drive south first on the #1 then switch the the #3 after or before Taichung etc. Which routes are most straight forward while also avoiding the heavier congested areas.

Lastly does one highway have more tolls than the other? Any comments welcome.[/quote]

You could consider switching to 1 just South of Taichung to avoid the Nantou segue, it’s quite a bit faster but it can be very congested with heavy vehicles.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]You could consider switching to 1 just South of Taichung to avoid the Nantou segue, it’s quite a bit faster but it can be very congested with heavy vehicles.[/quote]very congested? You’re such a master of understatement. I believe they have the same number of tolls, 1 per county. Coming from Taichung you can take #1, then take 78 in Yunlin to #3. This avoids the mountains in Nantou, but I honestly take #3 at almost all possible times. It’s just so much less stressful. There are still idiot drivers, just much fewer of them and a tiny fraction of the big trucks and buses you get on #1. The biggest thing to watch out for is going down a mountain and your speed creeping past 120 on #3.

I live in Changhua City. I get on #1 head north, just to take #3 south. The only road I dislike as much as #1 is 76.

yea #3 is much nicer drive but how much time are we talking about with the nantou segue?? if it’s a matter of 20 minutes i’d rather just take the longer route anyways, but if we’re talking about saving 45 minutes (plus the gas money) maybe the number 1 south of taichung is a better option and then take the above poster’s advice and switch back to number 3 on the 78.

During the night #1 is faster, but during the day #3 should save you time even with the Nantou segue unless Sun Moon Lake is having a big weekend. The traffic crawls from Changhua City to past Beidou at 70-80, plus you have all those trucks and buses.