Fat, Salt or Sugar: Which is the biggest killer?

hamster: did you feel included by the meathead comment?

sorry if that included you, i was not aware. i just responded to the ‘some people i know’ part of your post.

i’ll put you back on ignore now.

[quote=“urodacus”]hamster: did you feel included by the meathead comment?

sorry if that included you, i was not aware. i just responded to the ‘some people i know’ part of your post.

i’ll put you back on ignore now.[/quote]

Smartass. You didn’t make it clear. But either way…Adios.

Good god what is wrong with you people that even a discussion of nutrition winds up with personal attacks?

correct, as well as white rice, white noodles, white bread.

correct, as well as white rice, white noodles, white bread [/quote]

If white rice is so bad, then why is life expectency in Japan the highest in the world? Japanese eat white rice with almost every meal, and they also eat a fair amount of noodles. Of course they do eat relatively small portions and include lots of fruit, vegetables, and fish into their daily diets.

The point is, you can eat anything you like as long as you don’t eat too much and include plenty of other “good foods” into your regular diet. I believe balance is the key here. No one food in and of itself is deadly. Salt, sugar and fat can all be eaten in moderation with no ill effects. It’s the people who overload on junk food and sweets on a daily basis who have health problems.

correct, as well as white rice, white noodles, white bread [/quote]

If white rice is so bad, then why is life expectency in Japan the highest in the world? Japanese eat white rice with almost every meal, and they also eat a fair amount of noodles. Of course they do eat relatively small portions and include lots of fruit, vegetables, and fish into their daily diets.

The point is, you can eat anything you like as long as you don’t eat too much and include plenty of other “good foods” into your regular diet. I believe balance is the key here. No one food in and of itself is deadly. Salt, sugar and fat can all be eaten in moderation with no ill effects. It’s the people who overload on junk food and sweets on a daily basis who have health problems.[/quote]

I always thought it was low levels of saturated fats, with fish often being used in place of meat. I don’t think the Japanese will retain the crown of highest life expectancy due to smoking.

[quote=“urodacus”]there is no way it will happen spontaneously, but there are thousand sand thousands of enzymes in every cell. some of them can indeed turn glucose into fat by a process called lipogenesis, carried out predominantly in the liver.

also see metabolic-database.com/html/ … nesis.html

maybe i have the advantage of being a physiology lecturer interested in sports nutrition. but the internet is full of information, some of it crap, some of it extremely useful. i do agree that it is hard to sort the chaff from the rye without a decent bit of background, though.[/quote]

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info… I’ll be sure to read up on it later. However I’d suggest you go easy on the attack or you’ll find yourself very much on the defensive in subsequent posts.

aye aye captain.

A little of most foods won’t harm you I don’t think. Too much of any will. That’s what my daddy says and he used to be a DOCTOR! so he should know.
He’s mid-70s now, fit and extremely active – huntin’, shootin’, fishin’, raising dogs and all that. He’s steadfastly refused all his life to pander to the scientists and faddists and has insisted that the butter he’s eaten all his life is just fine, thank you very much, as is the sugar and fat.
Anyway, wouldn’t you rather be dead than live off rusks and dried seaweed or whatever.
THAT, to me, is SOUND science. :wink:

Question:
I have a few pounds too much. Sugar is the main reason. luvvv chocolate and all pastries .
When doing extensive exercise, it might happen that my hands start to tremble a bit.
Doc calls that 'low sugar level" as those exercises burn quickly the sugar amount.
Is it wise to burst up energy / sugar level with another dose of Sugar (Snickers, dextrose or other) or can I repair the sugar level by something else?

Powerbar. Or something like. Highfiber protien bars will keep your blood sugar up even for an extended work out.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]Powerbar. Or something like. Highfiber protien bars will keep your blood sugar up even for an extended work out.[/quote]\

Good call. That or a sports drink. Keep hydrated. I make it a point to have a walk to the fountain each time I finished a set.

I love salt.

I really do.

I love salt more than sugar.

Is it really that bad?

Maybe it’s all just a big lie.

It’s good. It’s got to be good for you?

I love salt.

I love salt too. If I ate what I loved and didn’t care about my health I would be a pickle. I would eat nothing except my own cajun cooking and my incredibly salty french fries.
My love for salt is the reason I don’t cook anymore. I’m not very good at cooking food without heaps of it.

From what I lurned at cooking school and such:
Salt hits the blood pressure, so if that ain’t a problem for you then salt ain’t too bad (in regular amounts).

Fat tastes good! but eat real big fats like meat and butter. Stay away from small fats like homogenized or hydrogenated (big words for small fat!). Thats why milk is so bad for you and butter and cheese is ok (in regular amounts).

Sugar (and other simple carbs) are also ok and even needed (in regular amounts) for energy. But they have no vitamins or other needed food like stuff that would help you so are very bad if eaten to replace real food. For eg: apple flavoured sugar has many calories and no nutrition while an apple could have as many calories but has vitamins and fiber and such.

Also: calories in > calories used = you get fat. So get off the computer and walk. You will not be so fat.

[quote=“lupillus”]I love salt.

I really do.

I love salt more than sugar.

Is it really that bad?

Maybe it’s all just a big lie.

It’s good. It’s got to be good for you?

I love salt.[/quote]

:laughing: Sorry lupillus. In today’s news:

[quote]Nine out of 10 Americans eat too much salt with most of them getting more than twice the recommended amount, according to a survey by U.S. government researchers.

They said an estimated 77 percent of dietary sodium comes from processed foods and restaurant foods.

“Sodium has become so pervasive in our food supply that it’s difficult for the vast majority of Americans to stay within recommended limits” . . .

The study said most Americans consume 3,466 milligrams of sodium a day, more than twice the recommended limit. Much of the excess sodium comes from foods like pizza, cookies and meats, it said.

The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend eating no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day. Proposed new guidelines for 2010 would lower that to 1,500 mg.

Eating too much salt can raise blood pressure, which can cause kidney failure and strokes . . . [/quote]
reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65N5I320100624

I shamefully gained a inch or two… or three… over the past year or so.

Seems it was the sugary drinks and other simple carbs that were doing me in, since what I’d been doing different was eating out too much at restaurants every day. Up to three portions of white rice a day and a few bottles of sugary green tea were enough to keep me gaining weight.

So I’ve cut out all that stuff, instead I’m eating brown rice in my dorm, and drinking plain old boring water. The results are not in as of yet.

Erhu said: [quote]If white rice is so bad, then why is life expectency in Japan the highest in the world? Japanese eat white rice with almost every meal, and they also eat a fair amount of noodles. Of course they do eat relatively small portions and include lots of fruit, vegetables, and fish into their daily diets.
[/quote]

It’s the other stuff they eat, yeah. You could look at it that since they’re eating all that other healthy stuff too, that this makes their white rice-eating habit relatively harmless. Still:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice … comparison

[quote]Several vitamins and dietary minerals are lost in this removal and the subsequent polishing process. A part of these missing nutrients, such as vitamin B1, vitamin B3, and iron are sometimes added back into the white rice making it “enriched”, as food suppliers in the US are required to do by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). [1]

One mineral not added back into white rice is magnesium; one cup (195 g) of cooked long grain brown rice contains 84 mg of magnesium while one cup of white rice contains 19 mg.

When the bran layer is removed to make white rice, the oil in the bran is also removed. Rice bran oil may help lower LDL cholesterol.[2]

Among other key sources of nutrition lost are small amounts of fatty acids and fiber.

In addition to having greater nutritional value, brown rice is also said to be less constipating than white rice.[/quote]

Having discovered these facts, personally, I’m not going to buy white rice and cook it at home ever again.

[quote=“LURKER”]I shamefully gained a inch or two… or three… over the past year or so.

Seems it was the sugary drinks and other simple carbs that were doing me in, since what I’d been doing different was eating out too much at restaurants every day. Up to three portions of white rice a day and a few bottles of sugary green tea were enough to keep me gaining weight.

So I’ve cut out all that stuff, instead I’m eating brown rice in my dorm, and drinking plain old boring water. The results are not in as of yet.

Erhu said: [quote]If white rice is so bad, then why is life expectency in Japan the highest in the world? Japanese eat white rice with almost every meal, and they also eat a fair amount of noodles. Of course they do eat relatively small portions and include lots of fruit, vegetables, and fish into their daily diets.
[/quote]

It’s the other stuff they eat, yeah. You could look at it that since they’re eating all that other healthy stuff too, that this makes their white rice-eating habit relatively harmless. Still:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice … comparison

[quote]Several vitamins and dietary minerals are lost in this removal and the subsequent polishing process. A part of these missing nutrients, such as vitamin B1, vitamin B3, and iron are sometimes added back into the white rice making it “enriched”, as food suppliers in the US are required to do by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). [1]

One mineral not added back into white rice is magnesium; one cup (195 g) of cooked long grain brown rice contains 84 mg of magnesium while one cup of white rice contains 19 mg.

When the bran layer is removed to make white rice, the oil in the bran is also removed. Rice bran oil may help lower LDL cholesterol.[2]

Among other key sources of nutrition lost are small amounts of fatty acids and fiber.

In addition to having greater nutritional value, brown rice is also said to be less constipating than white rice.[/quote]

Having discovered these facts, personally, I’m not going to buy white rice and cook it at home ever again.[/quote]

Rice is not the devil. Bread is not the devil. Carbs are okay in reasonable amounts and we need them to sustain life. White bread is probably worse than white rice anyhow, since it has other stuff mixed into it usually (butter, etc.)

Control your portion size and try to eat unprocessed foods.

White rice is refined, but at least you still know where it comes from, it usually does not contain other ingredients, and there is nothing really “bad” about it. If you eat a crapload of it with every meal, sure, you’ll become unhealthy, but give up on this notion that white rice is bad for you.

Asian people have eaten white rice for thousands of years and were skinny and fairly healthy for the most part, until the past 20, 30 years or so. They also did not have the resources to allow them to overeat.

We need to quit demonizing entire macronutrient groups. Your body needs all of these things in varying degrees.

Well, not really. White rice has been around for a long time, but at least in mainland China, it was not eaten by most people until the 20th century. There are two main reasons why white rice started to become popular in China. The first is that milled white rice keeps longer, and for this reason was more suitable for shipment to the non-rice-growing north. The second reason is that consumption of white rice is a sign of affluence. My mother-in-law had never had white rice until she moved from the sticks to Hong Kong. Making a bit of a stretch, she blames her type 2 diabetes on white rice.