Fat Thursday: Berliners (the real doughnuts)

Does anyone know if any bakery (German etc) plans to make them for Fat Thursday?
Preferably yest used (not leavening, yeast just tastes so much better) and
decent jam filling (plum, rose).

Berliner :lick:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krapfen

“doh nut” monstrosity :sick:
theblognut.net/2008/08/20/blognut-hiatus/

:cry: :cry: :cry: :blush: :cry: :cry:

Ich bin ein Berliner.

Yeah sure, get on a plane, fly two hours to country of choice (Japan, Korea or the Philippines) find nearest Krispy Kreme, enjoy :smiley:
Although, sure, they might not be exactly what you want, they’re a million times better than the stuff sold here.
They got some super ultra deluxe doughnut place from New York in Seoul (and Japan) as well, although I haven’t tried it, I only saw the place and thought it was some local place until I saw it on TV and they seem to offer just what you want -http://www.doughnutplant.com/

What is Fat Thursday?

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Yeah sure, get on a plane, fly two hours to country of choice (Japan, Korea or the Philippines) find nearest Krispy Kreme, enjoy :smiley:
Although, sure, they might not be exactly what you want, they’re a million times better than the stuff sold here.
They got some super ultra deluxe doughnut place from New York in Seoul (and Japan) as well, although I haven’t tried it, I only saw the place and thought it was some local place until I saw it on TV and they seem to offer just what you want -http://www.doughnutplant.com/[/quote]

HK Airport got the klosest Kreme…Popeye’s too…I have to go now…

Sorry, but they don’t as Krispy Kreme went bust in HK. I was so pissed off last time I was there as they’d only closed it a couple of days earlier :fume:
Fat Thursday I guess is similar to Fat Tuesday in Sweden, but we eat this instead ->

Well, try these maybe, at Wendel’s German Bakery in Tienmu:

store.wendels-bakery.com/product … ucts_id=77

If you want to know for sure what they use, call there and ask for Michael Wendel… and ask him (in German, english or Chinese) if he uses yeast. Dunno about chinese, but in German it’s Hefe :slight_smile:

In Detroit we celebrate Fat Tuesday with Paczkis.

[quote=“olm”]Well, try these maybe, at Wendel’s German Bakery in Tianmu:

store.wendels-bakery.com/product … ucts_id=77

If you want to know for sure what they use, call there and ask for Michael Wendel… and ask him (in German, english or Chinese) if he uses yeast. Dunno about Chinese, but in German it’s Hefe :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks! That’s what I have been looking for.
The yeast is not a big deal but it makes the pastry taste better.

I think there are some more “German” style bakeries here… maybe try a search in this food forum.

I must warn you, though: the “Berliner Landbrot” in Danshui might look very German, what with the German flag in their sign, and the Nazi-German eagle on their business card. But apart from the flag in their sign being upside down, their bread and stuff, with the possible exception of their not-so-good Pretzels (Brezeln), has little to do with German bakery :wink:

According to kotoba.japankunde.de/?p=23 this sign even has some more funny stuff:

• The shop is called “Red Flag”
  • The chinese text says “German Farmer’s Bread” (Dëguo nungfu miänbao).
  • The japanese text says “French Bread” (Furansu-pan)… Baguette.

[quote=“JMcNeill”]
In Detroit we celebrate Fat Tuesday with Paczkis.[/quote]

Yes, looks like a food stuff.

Fat Tuesday is a French Mardi Gras - last day of carnival.
Fat Thursday is a week earlier and a Central European custom (i.e. Germany, Poland)

I guess the idea is the same: a feast before a fasting season.
Nowdays it is just excuse for stuffing oneself up since hardly anybody is fasting.

[quote=“olm”]I think there are some more “German” style bakeries here… maybe try a search in this food forum.

I must warn you, though: the “Berliner Landbrot” in Danshui might look very German, what with the German flag in their sign, and the Nazi-German eagle on their business card. But apart from the flag in their sign being upside down, their bread and stuff, with the possible exception of their not-so-good Pretzels (Brezeln), has little to do with German bakery :wink:

[/quote]

Thanks for the warning.
Yeah, there are lots of this kind of places being German etc only in the name.

I was after the traditional berliner (krapfen , paczek etc) so the search did not come up with any useful stuff.
Wenzel has them with apricot, raspberry and apple cinnamon.