Father abandons dog in mountains while owner is away

HAVE YOU SEEN ME?
This girl is working in China and her father decided that he didn’t want to take care of her dog anymore (she will return to Taiwan at some point), so he took it to the mountains and tossed it out. (near a military camp in Zhinangong)
Personally, I think this fellow ought to be jailed, but if you come across this dog (named “Brother” in English), contact the owner via her cell phone.
Thanks.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]HAVE YOU SEEN ME?
This girl is working in China and her father decided that he didn’t want to take care of her dog anymore (she will return to Taiwan at some point), so he took it to the mountains and tossed it out. (near a military camp in Zhinangong)
Personally, I think this fellow ought to be jailed, but if you come across this dog (named “Brother” in English), contact the owner via her cell phone.
Thanks.[/quote]

Wolf,
I can’t connect to the pic for some unknown reason but I agree, based on what you’ve written, that the guy should be put in jail. It is indeed shocking how some people can be so cold, like this guy was to his daughter and to the dog.
Man, I would like to take that guy and … :fume:

Sorry, but I don’t see how this is news. How many dogs are/were discarded everyday? Left alone for days in locked apartments? Kept caged for year on end? This one incident above all others is newsworthy? :idunno:

Pretty normal Taiwanese behaviour I would have thought.

hsiadogah wrote:

I’m sorry. I was not aware that every thread on this site was required to pass some sort of test of newsworthiness. I’ll try to keep this in mind in future.
I was trying to help someone and point out this kind of behavior for possible comment.
By the way, the link works for me.

The story is indeed newsworthy: a daughter shaming her father like that over such a small matter!!! She deserves to be sold into slavery.

The link works for me, too. (Oh, behave!!)

BTW, sometimes I wonder if Wolf prefers dogs to children.

this story passes the global test for newsworthiness.

what a prick the old guy was to his hard working daughter-and the innocent wolf dog.

Where is the base? What area of Taiwan/Taipei-since I’m not sure where Zhinangong is.

She should just buy a new dog. In a few weeks she’ll have forgotten all about old maggoty eyes up in the mountains.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]I was not aware that every thread on this site was required to pass some sort of test of newsworthiness. I’ll try to keep this in mind in future.[/quote]Oh, you thought I was singling you out for criticism :blush: Nah, the reporter and his editor both need a kick in the ass for going on like this is the only poor sorry abandoned mutt in all of Taiwan… Never mind me, enjoy your shaggy dog story :wink:

Who said it is news? What is all this about reporters and editors? The poor girl is just trying to get her dog back.

Unfortunately “near a military camp” is not a good place for a dog to be. Killing and eating dogs seems to be a ritual through which all Taiwanese soldiers are expected to pass.

This may have something to do with Chiang Kaishek, whose gonads were allegedly bitten off by a dog.

The guy should be jailed without question. Some people just have rocks in their head.

OK, from looking at the Chinese “Zhinangong” would be the big famous temple in Mucha. I am quite familiar with that area but I don’t recall any military barracks around there. I can zip up those hills near “Zhinangong” on my scooter or trek around there this weekend. But if anyone can do that during the week, why not give it a go. There are two different sets of hills that lead to “Zhinangong”. If anyone knows where these barracks are, please let me know.

Every one of you thinks the dad should be jailed? I can’t read Chinese, but I understand that a girl left her dog with her dad when she went to China and she may or may not come back some day, so he abandoned it in the mountains. Isn’t it possible that she deserves some blame, maybe, for thinking she’s mature enough to care for another living creature, but when it gets inconvenient for her shoving it off on her family to care for?

Maybe her folks warned her repeatedly don’t get a pet if you’ll be leaving town, but she saw a cute little puppy that she could’t resist and 1 year later she left for China as her parents had warned. Maybe they told her to make other arrangements for the dog. Maybe she will come back soon, maybe she won’t. Why should her parents suffer the burden of caring for her dog if they didn’t want it in the first place and she was irresponsible to get it against their warnings?

A girl in my office has 5 cats at home, most of which belong to her sisters who later left home and abandoned the cats. I don’t know the facts concerning the dog girl (and I’m not sure you know either), but an awful lot of people in this world are quick to take on cute little puppies or kittens or babies, and then ready to discard them when they grow old or inconvenient. Back home too – I’ve read that numerous stray cats and dogs always appear at the end of the school year, when college kids leave town (then disappear after the city has rounded them up, taken them to the pound and killed them). Maybe there’s more to this story then you realize.

The girl is distraught that the dog she has raised for over 6 years has been discarded like trash. That is NOT the way to get rid of a dog, ok?

OK. I do feel badly for the girl. But what IS the proper way to get rid of a dog when one moves out of the country, can’t bring the dog, and ones family doesn’t want to care for it? Perhaps the family told her in advance that they did not want to care for it.

Give it a nice meal, cuddle it, and while you are cuddling it, then get the vet to administer an injection. Heep on cuddling it, until all signs of life are absent.

I Found Your Dog Today

I found your dog today. No he has not been adopted by anyone. Most of us who live out here own as many dogs as we want, those who do not own dogs do not because they choose not to. I know you hoped he would find a good home when you left him out here, but he did not. When I first saw him he was miles from the nearest house and he was alone, thirsty, thin and limping from a cactus burr in his paw.

How I wish I could have been you as I stood before him. To have seen his tail wag and his eyes brighten as he bounded into your arms, knowing you would find him, knowing you had not forgotten him. To see the forgiveness in his eyes for the suffering and pain he had known in his never-ending quest to find you…But I was not you. And despite all my persuasion, his eyes beheld a stranger. He did not trust, he would not come.

He turned and continued his journey; one he was sure would soon bring him to you. He does not understand you are not looking for him. He only knows you are not there, he only knows he must find you. This is more important than food or water or the stranger who can give him these things.

Persuasion and pursuit seemed futile; I did not even know his name. I drove home, filled a bucket with water and a bowl with food and returned to where we had met. I could see no sign of him, but I left my offering under the tree where he had sought shelter from the sun and a chance to rest. You see, he is not of the desert. When you domesticated him, you took away any instinct of survival out here. His purpose demands that he travel during the day. He doesn’t know that the sun and heat will claim his life. He only knows he has to find you.

I waited hoping he would return to the tree; hoping my gift would build an element of trust so I might bring him home, remove the burr from his paw, give him a cool place to lie and help him understand that the part of his life with you is now over. He did not return that morning and at dusk the water and food were still there untouched. And I worried. You must understand that many people would not attempt to help your dog. Some would run him off, others would call the county and the fate you thought you saved him from would be preempted by his suffering from days without food and water.

I returned again before dark. I did not see him. I went again early the next morning only to find the food and water still untouched. If only you were here so you could call his name. Your voice is so familiar to him. I began pursuit in the direction he had taken yesterday, doubt overshadowing my hope of finding him. His search for you was desperate, it could take him many miles in 24 hours.

It is hours later and a good distance from where we first met, but I have found your dog. His thirst has been stopped, it is no longer a torment to him. His hunger has disappeared, he no longer aches. The burrs in his paws bother him no more. Your dog has been set free from his burdens, you see, your dog has died. I kneel next to him and I curse you for not being here yesterday so I could have seen the glow, if just for a moment, in those now vacant eyes. I pray that his journey has taken him to that place I think you hoped he would find. If only you knew what he went through to reach it… and I agonize, for I know, that were he to awaken at this moment, and (if) I were to be you, his eyes would sparkle with recognition and his tail wag with forgiveness.

~Author Unknown~

Mother T wrote:

You mean like the many thousands (maybe more) of the Taiwanese of today who have a kid and then pass it on to the grandparents to raise while they work and get on with their life without the “trouble” of having to raise a child?

By the way, apparently the dog in question needed to take medicine daily. And someone did go to the area where the dog was dumped to look without success.

My feeling is that if taking care of the dog is too much trouble (does the dog look to you like a difficult animal?) then putting him down would be an option. The fact is that dumping a dog to suffer and die is pretty harsh. In the States I can assure you that if you could prove that this man dumped a dog in this way, he’d be in legal trouble. I am aware that the situation with animals here is retarded, but it would be nice for people to begin to realize that this behavior is NOT an option.

kansan.com/GetStory.aspx?id= … 9a688a35d9

Most people here (as evidenced by the number of abandoned strays on the streets) see dogs as a temporary amusement, like television, to be taken up and discarded ad liberatum. I don’t like it, but that’s the way they are. The dad is mad for taking the dog in the first place. The silly little girl should have thought about the effect on her mobility before she got the dog. Well I say “should”… what did she expect ?

kansan.com/GetStory.aspx?id= … 9a688a35d9[/quote]

I don’t think anyone will argue that every pet owner in the States is virtuous and every pet owner in Taiwan is evil. But, I think the issue of animal protection is taken more seriously in the States. In California, anyone who willfully abandons an animal is guilty of a misdemeanor. In Oakland, CA, there are officers within the PD whose job is solely to enforce city and state laws with respect to animal cruelty. If this father was living in Oakland, CA and someone could prove that he abandoned the dog as described above, that person could call the Oakland PD and the father would likely be charged with a crime.

Back several years ago when I lived in Chungli, I tried to report the beating death of a dog. I did not witness the beating, but I was on the roof of my building one-day and I saw a large rotweiler chained to a post. The dog was dead and there was a large piece of wood lying nearby. Both the dog and the wood were covered in blood. I went to the police station nearby and tried to report the incident. They just laughed at me and told me to go find the owner because there was nothing they could do. Ok, no surprise there.

I went back to my building and knocked on everyone’s door, but no one would claim the dog or admit to any knowledge of the dog. I didn’t say that a dog had been beaten to death. I just asked if anyone owned a big black dog or if they knew about the dog on the roof. Nothing. Funny, since you needed a key to get into the building and onto the roof.

Two days later, the dog was gone. I hear your point, MT, but I agree with Wolf. In everyplace that I have lived in the States, the incident in Chungli would have at least been investigated by the police. Further, it is likely that one of the neighbors would have come forward with some information as to the owner of the dog. In Taiwan? Nothing.