Favor goes wrong ethical dilemma

Someone goes out of the way to give you a lift.
Drops you off.
Not 50 meters later, pulls a U-turn in an intersection, causing a minor fender bender.

How responsible do you feel?
If at all, give me a dollar number or percentage (the traffic cops aren’t yet on the scene).

zero point zero

Feel pretty responsible and would offer to pay half of whatever damages the driver has incurred and offer any help regarding contacting authorities etc. Can’t leave the driver in a lurch. AS for the other half, well each driver is responsible for driving carefully and should bear the brunt of it.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Someone goes out of the way to give you a lift.
Drops you off.
Not 50 meters later, pulls a U-turn in an intersection, causing a minor fender bender.

If at all, give me a dollar number or percentage (the traffic cops aren’t yet on the scene).[/quote]

From what you’ve posted, not a whit! His choice to give you a lift, his choice to make an illegal and dangerous turn. I mean, even if you expressely told him upon dropping you off that he’d be quicker just making an illegal u-turn, it would STILL be entirely his own responsibility. He’s the driver, not you.
Say he dropped you off, drove a couple of clicks and had his fender bender. Would you still feel responsible? How about if he got ticketed for speeding just a block from his house after dropping you off? Would you feel obliged to stump up?

Is this guy somehow trying to hold YOU responsible for his crap driving? How does THAT work?

[quote=“Jaboney”]Someone goes out of the way to give you a lift.
Drops you off.

If at all, give me a dollar number or percentage (the traffic cops aren’t yet on the scene).[/quote]

How is this anyone’s responsibility? I wouldn’t take responsibility for someone’s choice unless I some how encouraged that choice, i.e. asked them for a ride, then gave directions that placed them in a known situation that results in accidents. I certainly would have stayed to support them, waited until the police came, etc. But if you weren’t driving or causing it, then it’s not your responsibility.

ZERO. It was nice of them to give me a lift, but that effort didn’t cause the accident. Their own (and/or someone else’s) poor driving and/or weather and/or road conditions resulted in the fender bender.

Rationally, I figure it’s all on driver. Emotionally, there’s a twinge of assumed culpability.

No pressure from the driver, but she’s a hometown neighbour who has been great taking care of Sprout in the aftermath of Ama’s passing. Just drove a couple hours out of the hills to take us to the crematorium, waited, dropped us off downtown.

Appears they settled for NT$3,500 and we’re bringing a gift from Canada next time.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Rationally, I figure it’s all on driver. Emotionally, there’s a twinge of assumed culpability.

No pressure from the driver, but she’s a hometown neighbour who has been great taking care of Sprout in the aftermath of Ama’s passing. Just drove a couple hours out of the hills to take us to the crematorium, waited, dropped us off downtown.

Appears they settled for NT$3,500 and we’re bringing a gift from Canada next time.[/quote]
Well, that’s a different kettle of fish altogether.
However, I STILL wouldn’t feel even a tiny bit responsible as far as her terrible driving goes. I WOULD help her out if I could, though, but only because she’s out of pocket and has been helping you out – that’s just being neighbourly.
My original response was more along the lines of you getting dropped off by one of your brain-damaged hockey buddies after practice. :wink:

Sorry to hear about Pixie’s mum. Please pass on my condolences.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Rationally, I figure it’s all on driver. Emotionally, there’s a twinge of assumed culpability.

Appears they settled for NT$3,500 and we’re bringing a gift from Canada next time.[/quote]

I guess that would be nice to do. Why didn’t you post that in the beginning? Posting from your iPhone? :laughing:

[/quote]
No assumed culpability – she brought it on herself through bad driving, pure and simple.
Empathy and sympathy for a friend in a scrape who’s been helping you out is a whole other thing.

Posting from the iPhone, by the road, while wiping off baby puke.

Thanks sandman

[quote=“Jaboney”]Posting from the iPhone, by the road, while wiping off baby puke.

Thanks sandman[/quote]
Yep, Sandman does that to me all the time too :wink:

Ditto. The motivation wouldn’t be any sense of culpability, though.

I asked a group of adults about this and their responses were overwhelmingly in favour of offering to pay. Culpability/responsibility are irrelevent as everyone knows where they rest. However, the relationship and showing concern for the friend are the key elements. A hongbao for 3500nt, which would have likely been politely refused, would have communicated the sentiment. Doing nothing is ok too, since the accident is not your fault. However, rides may or may not be in shorter supply in future.