Favorite guitarist?

Who is/are your favorite guitarist(s)?

**I searched before posting using the keywords “favorite guitarist”, “best guitarist”, and also with “guitar player” in place of “guitarist”…if there’s already a thread here on this topic, please let me know, hard to believe if there isn’t

David Chen

richardm

Leadbelly. He had an innovative approach to using the guitar as a rhythm instrument.

David Chen of the Muddy Basin Ramblers?
Yes, not bad at all.
Richardm of Forumosa? Haven’t heard him yet, but looking forward to it.

Some of my favs are:
Donald “Buck Dharma” Roeser
Eric Clapton (when he was with Cream)
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eddie Van Halen
Jorge Strunz and Adashir Farah
Larry Carlton
George Benson

This WILL be a long list

Malmsteen
Vai
Satriani
Clapton
B.B King
Me
Corey Watkinson
Steve Lukather
Gary Moore
Joe Tamaira
Slash
Hendrix
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana
Jeff Beck
Jimmy Page
Steve Cropper
Keith Richards
Chuck Berry
Jerry Garcia
Mark Knopfler
Pete Townshend
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Randy Rhoads
Nuno Bettencourt
Brian May
Me again

My son does a wicked airjam with a badmitton racket.

Johnny Ramone

Why Frank of course.

No, not Frank Butcher; Frank Zappa.

Jimmy Page

How about some ‘why’.
Like David Chen because he looks so hunky in profile.
Stevie Vai because he can make his fingers move really really fast.
Ted Nuggent because he likes to shoot stuff. (With his guns.)

Johnny Marr is the most individual modern (meaning the last twenty years) guitarist that instantly comes to mind. Morrissey’s appeal was lost without Marr.
Shane Carter and Stephen Egerton are also up there.
Mike Watt, Cliff Burton and Bootsy Collins if you’re talking bass guitarists.

This post is likely to be edited as much as mine on the my favourite movies thread.

[quote=“Richardm”]How about some ‘why’.
Like David Chen because he looks so hunky in profile.
Stevie Vai because he can make his fingers move really really fast.
Ted Nuggent because he likes to shoot stuff. (With his guns.)[/quote]

Ok, I’m at a… what do you say? I have a mental block or don’t really know. Maybe someone can clue me in. I’m not a Led Zeppelin expert but I know a few of their songs. Anyway, on the box set. Four CDs. I was at a bar in Hualian and the lady owner bought it. He (Jimmy) was playing live on accousitc. Awesome. “What song is it?” is what I’m asking. I’m embarassed. It’s funny because everyone loves Santana in Taiwan but I told her after we watched that song on her big screen, “He’s better than Santana.” and she said, “Don’t say that in Taiwan. Sanatana is a god.” Something to that affect. It’s funny when you introduce others to different music.

Anyway, what’s the song? She commented on how big his fingers were/are. That one’s awesome.

I remember you used to get slapped down if you said “bass guitar”. Maybe it’s different nowadays. I’ve even seen Bassman use it.
The correct term is “electric bass”.

Actually my favorite guitar player is the same as Limey. Frank could do the pretty stuff, the jazzy stuff, but he was at his best when he got down and dirty with some old fashioned rock and roll. I’m thinking about that San Bernadino song from One Size Fits All. That rocks.

[quote=“joesax”]Leadbelly. He had an innovative approach to using the guitar as a rhythm instrument.[/quote]Alright. A bit more of the “why”.

Even on those scratchy old recordings, you notice that Leadbelly’s playing has tremendous volume and power. It is like a whole rhythm section just by itself. He never stays in the same chord position either. He constantly changes so it’s like a walking bass.

Another favourite; any of the decent flamenco guitarists. What they do is amazing. Rhythmically complex, technically extremely demanding, yet very expressive.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“joesax”]Leadbelly. He had an innovative approach to using the guitar as a rhythm instrument.[/quote]Alright. A bit more of the “why”.

Even on those scratchy old recordings, you notice that Leadbelly’s playing has tremendous volume and power. It is like a whole rhythm section just by itself. He never stays in the same chord position either. He constantly changes so it’s like a walking bass.

Another favourite; any of the decent flamenco guitarists. What they do is amazing. Rhythmically complex, technically extremely demanding, yet very expressive.[/quote]

I’ll second Leadbelly. He was an innovator with no one to follow.

My measuring stick is based on innovation, and for the life of me, and I know I’m incredibly biased, but Jerry Garcia is the most innovative geetarist I’ve ever heard…guitar, banjo, pedal steel…he gave each one a sound that was easily recognizable as his own.

I saw a Dead show where I honestly, and soberly, did not know if he was singing or playing. He was playing BTW.

Phillip Catherine :bravo:
Larry Coryell :bravo:
Al Dimeola :bravo:
Sabicus :bravo:
Wes Montgomery :bravo:
Kenney Burrell :bravo:
Me Too :raspberry:
You are pretty good :laughing:

[quote=“Airwall”]Who is/are your favorite guitarist(s)?

**I searched before posting using the keywords “favorite guitarist”, “best guitarist”, and also with “guitar player” in place of “guitarist”…if there’s already a thread here on this topic, please let me know, hard to believe if there isn’t[/quote]

Joe Satriani, his playing is just , I dont know, just killer. Too bad he doesnt seem as famous as he ought to be… I thought Metallica was pretty good, if they could stop singing about the devil… but their recent album (st. Anger anyone?) sucks.

Yes, Johnny Marr is stupendous. I’d add Kevin Shields and Graham Coxon to the list, though something tells me that in a thread citing tired dogs like Clapton and such these names won’t mean anything.

Frank Zappa, well, just because he was so inventive. Listen to the four hours plus of guitar solos on “Shut up 'n play yer guitar” and “Guitar” albums alone.

Eddie Van Halen’s shredding on my Mac now!..Oh I’m hot for teacher… :smiling_imp: