Favorite Movie of 2002

13 Conversations About One Thing with John Turturro and Matthew McConaughey. Too bad it had only 4 showings at the recent Golden Horse Film Festival in Taipei.

Dogtown & Z-Boys

I haven’t seen Ararat yet (will it ever come here?) but I’m sure I’ll like it best.

Enlighten us “Ararat”??? A parrot?

I think that TTT wuz good.

“Volcano High” and “Narc”. Although probably the best time I had a theater in 2002 was when I saw “XXX” with Vin Diesel. Oh my Lord! what a horrible movie! That movie cracked me up. I was laughing my ass off so hard that I was getting dirty looks from the people in the theater who were taking it seriously.

Ararat, like the mountain Noah’s ark got stuck on after the flood. It’s in “eastern Turkey” (old Armenia).

The movie is about the Armenian Holocaust. You might imagine a sweeping Hollywood war epic, with a white guy as the lead…? Well “Ararat” is this movie–but it’s a movie being filmed within the movie that we’re seeing, also called “Ararat”.

The wider movie is about some Canadian Armenians (and one Turk) involved in the filming of a movie about the Armenian Holocaust, and struggling with the question of whether we can ever really know what happened.

Hmmm maybe someone can provide us a website taking us to a list of all the movies that were shown in 2002??

infoplease.com/ipea/A0900167.html

Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amelie Poussain, and, a close second, that brilliant Taiwanese film about a young guy in a pawnshop (but I can’t for the life of me remember either its English or Chinese name).

Thanks Hogg!

WOW I’ve look at the list of movies for 2002 and I must say with some embarrassment :blush: :blush: :blush: that I have seen none of these movies! :shock:

Guess I’ll have to wait until they come out on VCD/DVD or hell why not wait for FREE HBO to show them… :laughing:

[quote=“Omniloquacious”] that brilliant Taiwanese film about a young guy in a pawnshop (but I can’t for the life of me remember either its English or Chinese name).[/quote] I think you’re referring to Ming Dai Zhui Zhu (literally, life line chase). Haven’t seen it, but it was showing at the SPOT movie house just couple of weeks ago.

I totally agree with you on Amelie. Very original, very good looking with rich colors.

Yes, Incubus, you’re right – the Taiwanese film was

Yamakasi was released in 2001 but I saw it in 2002 and I thought it was cool - Especially the music.

:sunglasses:

Monster’s Ball with Billy Bob Thornton and Halle Berry.

Bend it like Beckham

Brilliant!

Although released in 2000, Under Suspicion just seems to have come and gone here. Pretty good.
us.imdb.com/Title?0164212

—Toe Save, The Heist? You better see The Score with Robert De Niro. It is exactly the same plot although not as convoluted (if that is possible) with a cool performance by fat boy Marlon Brando.

[quote=“Alien”]Bend it like Beckham

Brilliant![/quote]

Is that out on DVD yet? Its the one about women’s football with the amateur actresses, isn’t it?

And for pure lowbrow hilarity, watch Kung Pow (don’t be put off by the cheesy picture on the box). Thanks for the heads up Poagao, but you should have warned people to make sure their bladders are totally empty before they turn it on.

The only film I’ve seen for a long time where I had to pause the thing at least twice in order to have hysterics.

“Weeeeeeee ooooooo weeeee ooooo!”

I have a copy on DVD (from Amazon) so it should be available here.

I thought the film was a bit lame; funniest opening 2 minutes i’ve ever seen though!

[quote=“Mark0938”]I have a copy on DVD (from Amazon) so it should be available here.

I thought the film was a bit lame; funniest opening 2 minutes i’ve ever seen though![/quote]

Mark, is that “Bend It” or “kung Pow?”

Bend It. Is this Kung Pow easily available?