Favorite steak houses?

Favorite steak houses

• Noble Family Steak
  • My house steak

0 voters

I like noble family steak and I tried St Paul in shi ling and it was good too…

None of the above. :sunglasses:

To be very honest, I have yet to find a good steak house in Taiwan.

I’ve been to many, cheap and expensive, but the steaks are crap.

And that goddamn black pepper / mushroom suace that it come with! :stuck_out_tongue:

I heard about this one place though where you pay about NT$2000 for a steak. I heard it’s good but I choose not to remember the name. Who would want to pay that much for a steak? :noway:

I thought it was alright though, but I liked the one in USA where you had real salad bar and real clam chowder and stuff…

I know theres a place called “tasty” or something and it costs something like 450 and over for a small steak… It was good but I wouldnt eat there unless company paid for it…

When I lived here previously and was into my 2nd year without a GEREAT steak we went to Ruth Chris… it was pretty good. But then I went back to oz and sat in an outdoor beer garden in a 130 yr old pub overlooking the river on a bright blue sky day, Ruth Chris was a distant memory.

Some say Lawrys is pretty good.

Neither of the two choices in the poll appeal to me, nor does the Bullfighter/Dou Niu Shih chain. I’d have to agree with Stan’s comments, including about the sauces.

Lawry’s serves prime rib, rather than steak, but it’s in the Ruth’s Chris price range. i.e. good, but way overpriced. Better to find a decent steak among the other western restaurants in town, but that too, is a hard ask. The New York strip at Dan Ryan’s is OK, and the char-broiled steaks at Carnegie’s are good.

The Carnegie’s ones are good. BUT, they don’t come atop a stained, grease encrusted wooden platter, nestled lovingly on an iron platter that spits rancid grease all over your clothes and hair. There’s no overcooked baby corn or peas, there’s no canned sphagetti gloop, none of the jelly-like black pepper “sauce”… I mean, Jeez, Carnegie’s give you a feckin’ POTATO option – whoever heard of eating potato in ANY form with steak?

No, it’ll be a long time before Carnegies will be able to compete with the likes of “My Sweet Darling” or “Noble” or “Double Happiness Eternity Bulls Balls” when it comes to the RIGHT way to do a steak.

Ruth’s Chris was awesome steak, but way overpriced, not worth a return visit (on my salary, anyway).

Lawry’s is great. But as someone already posted they serve primarly roast beef. But nonetheless worth a trip for it.

What about Formosa Plastic steak (That’s the Chinese name, I kid you not), or whatever the Chinglish name is? It looks pretty upscale and is always full when I go by it. There’s one on Heping E Rd near Shida.

Ruth Chris is by far the best steak I have had in Taiwan, however, the price dictates that this a special ocassion venue!
Carnegies is as good as anywhere else.

Noble Family is absolutely disgusting! :noway:

I got a steak there a couple of weeks ago, it was the worst piece of meat I’ve ever had. I could only eat half of it, and that was just to be polite.

“Tasty” is not too bad, they serve a seven or eight course meal for $500.

Not strictly a steak house, but for all around value, I’d vote for M&L’s in Nankan, Taoyuan. Nicely done steaks for less than Friday’s and a lot less than Ruth’s Chris. Diamond Tony’s in Taibei is nice as well.

I just love Ruth’s Chris! When I heard that their fillet mignon didn’t require any mushroom/black pepper sauce, I was aghast so I had to request for it! But, after tasting it just as it is, I understood completely. The steak was so tender and I had to close my eyes to enjoy the moment as I chewed on the meat. At NT$1,300+, I think Ruth’s Chris’ filet mignon is worth it, so long it’s on-special-occasion basis. :slight_smile:

We didn’t order the set. Ala carte wise, Ruth Chris tops Lawries. Just love their lobster bisque soup and dessert is to die for. Don’t care much for their salads though.

I felt that though Lawries had the high-class ambience (people were shouting at Ruth’s Chris when we were there), prime rib gets old fast, and their salad though tastefully-done, is really nothing to boast about. Their wine’s way better than RC though.

One steak place that’s delish without burning a hole in your pockets is at Herbs. At NT$700+ for one filet mignon, it’s great. As my friend Buddy said, “It’s the best steak in Taiwan.” I agreed the first time I was there, but was surprised that it wasn’t as good as my second time. Regardless, it’s a good restaurant for those dating on a budget. Classy enough to impress a girl, but cheap enough to eat another day.

My colleague said there’s a new steak restaurant opened at Miramar called Vicky’s that serve pretty good steak. I’d also like to try Carneigie’s steak. Heard it’s good. Can’t wait to try that as well.

Has anyone else been to Herbs?
I’d never heard of it.
I did a search and saw that citizen k said [quote]“Herbs” on Leli Rd, just off Anhe Rd has a great patio, but the food is disappointing. Good place for a drink on a nice spring evening though. [/quote]

Any other opinions?

You’ll always be welcome to try one. We actually do five different ones; a New York Strip, a T-Bone, a sirloin, a rib-eye and a 10oz Filet Mignon. You are able to choose what sauce you want, how you wish your potatoes cooked and there is a choice of vegetables cooked in different ways. You can in essence build your own meal. Prices range from NT$500-something to just a tad under NT$800.

Additionally we have as one of our 15 set lunch options (3 of which change every day), a 6oz filet mignon with acompanying vegetables, a choice of sauce, preceded by either soup of the day or salad and inclusive of a soft drink and coffee or tea at the end for NT$490. The lunchtime filet is available from 11.30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Friday. All the other steaks are available all the time every day of the week.

Regards,

Bob

You’ll always be welcome to try one. We actually do five different ones; a New York Strip, a T-Bone, a sirloin, a rib-eye and a 10oz Filet Mignon. You are able to choose what sauce you want, how you wish your potatoes cooked and there is a choice of vegetables cooked in different ways. You can in essence build your own meal. Prices range from NT$500-something to just a tad under NT$800.

Additionally we have as one of our 15 set lunch options (3 of which change every day), a 6oz filet mignon with acompanying vegetables, a choice of sauce, preceded by either soup of the day or salad and inclusive of a soft drink and coffee or tea at the end for NT$490. The lunchtime filet is available from 11.30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Friday. All the other steaks are available all the time every day of the week.

Regards,

Bob[/quote]

Sounds lovely, Mr. Bob.
What are there steak choices for the vegetarians???

Regards,

Bob[/quote]

Sounds lovely, Mr. Bob.
What are there steak choices for the vegetarians???[/quote]

:rant: :flog: :wall: :wall:

And very tasty they are too, my favourite being the 10oz Fillet!

Mine also. :hungry:

Mine also. :hungry:[/quote]

Thanks Elektronisk (and Duncan of course). What Elektronisk omitted to mention is that appreciation of said steak is enhanced by downing 18 shots of Akvavit in an hour. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing:

Bob