Favorite Stomping Ground in Taipei

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]‘Soho’ is a word I haven’t heard in a long time. But I thought it was another word for the Combat Zone.

How about changing Soho/Shida to Guting/Shida. Well, whatever it’s called Shida is my favourite area.[/quote]Done, though I’m pretty sure “Soho” stemmed from “South of Hoping.” But now Hoping is Heping, and to avoid confusion with Sogo or the Combat Zone, Soho is definitely passe.

I put Kuting instead of Guting just so that it conforms with the MRT spelling.

It’s hard to decide which spelling to use when referring to the MRT stations and their surrounding districts. But I’ll feel much more comfortable about using the pinyin spellings once they go ahead and carry out their plan to adopt them as the primary romanization form for the MRT system (a welcome and long overdue step). Then I’ll be able to write Zhongshan, Xintian b[/b], etc., and know that no one has a valid excuse for not knowing where I’m referring to.

Or is it “Jhongshan” and “Sintian” (Xindian)

… my god, Tongyong pinyin looks ugly :shock:

South side of town, from RenAi to Taida (North-South) and from Keelong b[/b] to Roosevelt (East-West).

I like Yongkang St. because of the good places to eat, and the park can be nice sometimes in the evenings … but the traffic can be a killer. I think the street should be blocked off to cars and scooters and should be a pedestrian-only area … it can really be a nightmare. I also like Warner Village because it’s clean and feels a little more “upper-class” when I’m not in the mood to dodge betel nut juice and smell stinky tofu while walking around most other places. I’ve only ever been to Tianmu once in about 1 1/2 years, and that was to buy a cool Chairman Mao shirt. Other than those places, I guess I don’t get out much. :slight_smile:

I wish I had more time to hang out. As it is, I get about one night a week, and Sunday afternoons to hun.

I like the live music houses, EZ5 (AnHe Road, a bit past Saints and Sinners) and Zee Live, near SOGO on Chung Hsiao b[/b] East Road. I’ve also been to a place called Fun House near Lin Shen b[/b] North Road.

I enjoy Yang Min Shan b[/b] on Sunday. Great place to hike around and explore. There’s also the Lin Yu Tang Museum on the way up, and a really great tea garden not far from there. Makes for a relaxing Sunday.

Interesting Ximending has the most votes so far, yet every time I go there I see very few foreigners (unlike Tianmu and Warner). Plus, no one has said why they liked the place. What’s there in Ximen besides movies, Japanese trinkets, and shady characters from Wanhua? Oh yeah, I forgot, the navel-exhibiting, tatoo-wearing teenyboppers. Is that the real attraction of Ximen?

Ximendingsda b[/b] makes me feel so old … anybody above 15 there?

it’s nice to live near tienmu just for the foreign food stores, i voted for shimending b[/b] though, always my favorite spot, just because the walky gritty “re-nao” feel of it reminds me of what i like about my hometown nyc. number one attraction is the food, and coffee shops. it was cooler with the old market, ha I can remember when there were train crossings all up chong hua b[/b] rd.

Yes Mr. He, especially for one who claims to prefer to first look for the “inner qualities” in a woman (reference to other thread). :smiling_imp:[/quote]
They have no hooters there anyway! The inner qualities thing was a half-baked attempt to avoid a warning from an alien force.

I’m sorry to hear that the dreaded other-world maelstrom has sown the seeds of fear in your heart, Mr. He. We must stick together to defeat the malign intentions of those who would attempt to hinder and spoil our irreproachable enjoyment of lovely xiaojies.

[quote=“Rascal”]Ximendingsda b[/b] makes me feel so old … anybody above 15 there?[/quote]Yup, that’s about the average age there. But the place actually has the opposite effect on me. Immersing myself in the sea of youths, I feel young and rejuvenated every time I’m there.