Favorite Textbook Series Discontinued. Legal to make copies?

Plain and simple. We have a favorite grammar textbook series we’ve used for years.
The activities were fun, engaging and varied.
It touched on every topic that was missing from our regular conversation book series. We’ve tried the replacements and they don’t measure up. Even our bookstore agreed this series was popular.
So, can we use copies as handouts?
I’m against people copying to save money but I totally despise people who won’t sell me stuff for no good reason.
If a series is no longer in print, what can you do?

I’m not a lawyer, but as an educator I have always relied on a principle of fair use for educational purposes. For me this has been easy, because I have always worked for non-profit universities and I never used anything in totality (i.e. not copying books cover-to-cover). Your situation might be different.

Looking at Taiwanese copyright law (article 65 only), and considering that you are no longer able to buy the product, you should be able to keep using at least some of it. If your school is for-profit and you want to use the entire book, then I would be less sure.

Of course, copyright a lawyer would be more sure.

If you’re happy to pay, though, why not contact the publisher? Ask if you can use some pieces, if they come back to you about money you can offer to pay. A licensing fee to print your own copies sounds reasonable. I am regularly contacted by representatives of a cram school in Japan that uses something I wrote and put online; I always grant permission and appreciate the ego boost. If the company is out of business, they might not care if you copy away. If somebody holds a copyright for this materials, why wouldn’t they be open to offers?

Another thing that you can do is recreate the style of the books without duplicating the content. Use the books as a reference guide, but mix and match activity types, use your own visuals, change some of the context around to make it more relevant/interesting for your students. This is a little work and it is helpful if you have a background in curriculum and the book content, but apparently there is demand so then you could sell it!

Contact the publisher and ask to buy the rights to the book, then print it yourself and sell it. If the book is good, and was popular you will make a profit, no?

1 Like

I think the copyright written in the book is what you’re bound to. What meihsijia just advised is a great idea.

Well, it’s a big title from a major publisher.
I wasn’t the only one upset.
My book supplier, I think the second biggest distributor in Taiwan next to Caves called and lobbied to have the book reprinted.
The publishers said Maybe in the future, but not now.
Funny, in this case, shouldn’t they be pushing a new product? But, as far as I know, nothing.
Who would discontinued a product that still makes money?
I was told “Move On” or “Write Now” would be a decent replacement.
They’re ok but doesn’t measure up to the one I like, JUMP.
Jump has varied excercises and is “missing things” that actually encourage the student to discuss things, ask questions or actually research answers
If you know what I’m talking about, can you suggest a good alternative?
I’m just a glorified Tutor so, I don’t have the money to buy rights. I just want to buy my books and get back to work.

Yeah but maybe they’ll just tell you to go ahead or charge a nominal fee.

Can’t hurt to ask.
I guess.
I’m not sure anymore. In another thread, I’m trying to throw money at a software company that won’t let me buy the upgrade because there’s a glitch in my customer record.
Neither the developer or their payment company want to take responsibility and fix the record. Both just refer me to each other. People just don’t want money…

1 Like