My boyfriend and I are moving to Taiwan to teach English starting August 25th. We got our FBI Criminal Background Checks (CBC) done a while ago but only recently realized we need to get them authenticated to use abroad. Does anyone have further clarification on the authentication process? We have two issues.
To get our FBI CBCs authenticated (according to the sheets sent with our FBI CBCs) would cost $143 and take up to 2 weeks. We will be road tripping around the US from Aug. 14th - Aug. 24th therefor it will be costly and difficult to get the authenticated versions back in time before we leave.
This article doesn’t mention anything about the document being authorized: Details on cram school background checks for foreigners finalized it only states…
- Generated within the past six months.
- Proof that there is no record of criminal offenses.
- Record for whole country of origin.
- Paper version submitted by the relevant government agency on its official letterhead.
- Verification by TECO only required for 25 listed countries.
SO, is it worth it for us to go through the authentication process and have the documents sent to us (timely & costly) OR would we be ok bringing over the original background checks? We’re not planning on working at cram schools but, obviously want to be prepared for anything.