Fear mongering Canadian spy head

I wonder what the hell this spook was thinking.

[quote=“CBC”]Canada’s spy agency suspects that cabinet ministers in two provinces are under the control of foreign governments, CBC News has learned.

Several members of B.C. municipal governments are also under suspicion, Richard Fadden, the director of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, told CBC News in an exclusive interview.

“We’re in fact a bit worried in a couple of provinces that we have an indication that there’s some political figures who have developed quite an attachment to foreign countries,” Fadden said.
[…]
[color=#0040FF]“There are several municipal politicians in British Columbia and in at least two provinces there are ministers of the Crown who we think are under at least the general influence of a foreign government.”

Fadden said the agency is in the process of discussing with the Privy Council Office the best way to inform those provinces there may be a problem.

“We’ll do the same with the public servants. I’m making this comment because I think it’s a real danger that people be totally oblivious to this kind of issue.”[/color][/quote]

The BC Premier’s response:

[quote=“CBC”]B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell says allegations by the head of CSIS that some B.C. politicians and municipal officials are under the influence of foreign governments are shocking and irresponsible.

Campbell says Canadian Security Intelligence Service director Richard Fadden’s statements are unprofessional and call into question the inner workings of Canada’s spy agency.

“To cast aspersions and doubt on people in public office — we don’t know which cabinet ministers and which provinces he’s talking about — but to say that kind of thing at a public function and then release it to the media without talking to people directly involved is to me … I’m frankly incredulous by it,” he said.

[color=#0040FF]The B.C. government has never been approached by CSIS about politicians or officials being under the control of foreign governments, said Campbell.[/color]
[…]
He gave Fadden one day to explain himself and provide evidence to justify his statements.

“I expect a full, detailed and substantial explanation,” said Campbell.
[…]
Meanwhile, Fadden appears to be backing away from his controversial comments.

He said in a press release Wednesday he realizes “the context of a special report by the CBC on CSIS have given rise to some concerns about foreign interference in Canada.”

“The service has been investigating and reporting on such threats for many years. Foreign interference is a common occurrence in many countries around the world and has been for decades,” he said.

[color=#0040FF]“At this point, CSIS has not deemed the cases to be of sufficient concern to bring them to the attention of provincial authorities.[/color]”[/quote]

So, what the hell was that all about? Thinking to justify some of the expense of the G8 and G20 conferences? It’s just bizarre. :loco:

It’s the nature of such people to be suspicious. It’s also their job. Look what happened with Big Pete.

Suspicious, and discrete.

Wait patiently for the backstory, Jaboney, before you pass judgment.

Agree with Jaboney that it was an error making these allegations. What exactly does “under the general influence of” exactly mean? This comes across like nativist bullshit IMHO. Canada’s intelligence agency is sometimes viewed as imcompetent by other foreign intelligence services, and coming up with such allegations without providing proof just adds to this poor image.

If they do have proof, they should disclose it right away. Let`s not forget that wiretaps in Canada are much more easier to obtain than in the US (which is why I was always amazed at Canadian objections to certain US actions after 9-11). So, if they have hard evidence such as recordings, why not disclose it at the same time you make allegations? :loco:

Well, at least the guy was reporting directly to the Canadian people, and not allowing his message to be filtered by bad publicity adverse government hacks. If the guy is doing this for the reasons he said he is, I respect it. He also sent a warning to any politico to watch his international connections. On the other hand, this kind of spy guy has to be devious to be good at his job, so in a paranoid way, who knows why’s he’s really doing it?