Fear of Flying

After living overseas for nearly 20 years, you’d think I’d be over my fear of flying. It just gets worse. Does anybody have any tips? I’ll try anything. Thanks.

It may sound like obvious one but I always fly with an airline like British Airways which has an excellent safety record.

I am less afraid flying with an airline that hasn’t killed many people compared to its competitors.

Drink a lot before you get on the flight and while in flight. It’s cheaper than flying with reputable carriers; I’m still alive and have been afraid of flying just as long as you have.

Valium. I’m, not so much scared of flying, I just hate it and a few Vitamin V always helped calm me down and get some sleep. Drinking excessively just seems to give me a hangover half-way through a 13 hour flight, unpleasant.

I go reputably…NWA…and, I order a few before and during…doesn’t help. Believe it or not, I take the bus/train to Taipei from KAO rather than fly.

Use good airlines, for a safety record and other stuff see

www.airsafe.com

1. Do direct non-stop flights
  2. Turbulence doesn’t bring down big jets
  3. Fly newer model aircraft (avoid the earlier 747s which are getting a bit tatty
  4. Research the airlines - particularly maintenance (Qantas v good) and PARTICULARLY WHAT HAPPENS IN THE COCKPIT. One of the reasons China Airlines is so bad is that co-pilots are not encouraged to question the captain’s decisions (I am told). So, no cross checking. Crashes are mostly pilot error.

Drink a lot before you get on the flight and while in flight.

Poor advise. Drinking alcohol dehydrates. The first time I tried this I became just sick and couldn’t sleep at all, always feeling like I have to throw up - on a flight of more than 11 hours that’s no fun …

Dear “Guest”
THANKS for the link to Fearless Flying…creator (Todd Curtis, PhD) is credible - the site itself, comprehensive. I’ll pass it on to some other of my fearful friends (there are a number of us). Found the tips section helpful. Must admit, had to stay away from detailed articles on accident events. I’d like to be able to choose the type of aircraft, but don’t have that luxury when booking from KHH.

Don’t take in alcohol during a flight. It’s sickening and evil. When booking a flight, try to go for those newer bigger aircrafts, like 747-400. They’re newer, nicer, smell better and stable, with more experienced pilots in them too.

A day or two before your flight, you’d want to take some roller-coaster rides, and maybe a couple of bangee jumps. That should fix your fear of flying.

No, I’m not kiddin’.

When booking a flight, try to go for those newer bigger aircrafts

“Where and when do you want to go?”
“Doesn’t matter, as long as the aircraft is new …”

ROTFL! :laughing:

All you have to do is take a few pre-flight taxi rides around Taipei, ending with one to the airport – then you’ll feel incredibly safe once you get on the plane. Everything’s relative.

But there is one major drawback to this method: You might not survive long enough to make it onto the plane.

Isn’t taking Valium or sleeping pills or drinking alcohol excessively going to make you even more nervous? I mean if there WAS a real emergency, being wasted on the plane isn’t going to help your survival chances!

At the level I self dose on vitamin V - like that one - pre-flight any nasty incident will be rendered an amusing blur.

Pop till drool appears on the chin and I guarantee nothing will phase you. There’s a secondary gain in that you don’t even notice the cramped compartment. Couple of scary possibilities though: 1) an increased risk of a DVT -deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) caused by inactivity. To counter that, get up and stagger around periodically. This may lead to; 2) increased risk that your glazed over eyes will appear as an amorous pass to a male air steward - be extra careful on Qantas.

HG

I mean if there WAS a real emergency, being wasted on the plane isn’t going to help your survival chances!

Dude, at 30,000 ft. I’d better be wasted when that plane breaks up!

:laughing:

“Sir, we’ve a spanking new Lufthansa and a 45 year old AEROFLOT, which would you prefer?”

“I’ll take the nostalgic ride home.”

ROTFL! :laughing:

I always, always say the Rosary, even on a short 40 minute flight. My friend in the US does all kinds of visualizations and affirmations before and during flights.

Hey, wasn’t it G_d who said “Low, I am with you always”?

J.

I take Amtrak to and from LA when travelling from Taipei to Cleveland.

Anyone who has ever had the, ahem, pleasure of flying with Saudia or Kuwait Airways will have heard the prayers in Arabic broadcast over the PA system during takeoff. Very reassuring … not! :shock:

[quote]I always, always say the Rosary, even on a short 40 minute flight. My friend in the US does all kinds of visualizations and affirmations before and during flights.
[/quote]
…and IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED! PRAISE THE LORD!

Wolf, why do you like to pick on me? It’s probably the ‘rhythm’ of reciting the same prayer over and over again that helps me relax. I mean, if I was so faithful, I wouldn’t have to say the entire rosary, would I?

J.