Feedback on comments in IP's "Morning After" Thread

I find it interesting to live in a society in which people like you bleat about “rights” of people like Henry Anthony Sunderman and Zacarias Moussaoui while denying society’s weakest members any rights whatsoever. This discussion isn’t about “rights”…it’s about “convenience.” Thre is a difference.

My comparison to Nazi Germany offends you because your little mind can’t wrap itself around the fact that your lack of belief in this most fundamental of all human rights…that of the right to birth, leads to a society in which no human life is valuable. Expediency and convenience are all that matter.
Your lack of belief leads to you justify your reasoning no differently than the German lawyers who designed and wrote the Nazi eugenics laws. Denying it and dressing it up in “rights” doesn’t change the basic fact that you are advocating genocide.[/quote]

CS, I am very offended by this post of yours. I haven’t seen MT “bleat about the rights of Zacharias Moussaoui, etc.” You’re bringing irrelevant arguments into this debate, and border on attacking the poster rather than the poster’s ideas. Very UN-christian, and UN-Internet-PC of you.

I appreciate your point of view while at the same time disagree with it. You don’t see me attacking you by misrepresenting your arguments.

Bodo

[quote=“Bodo”]

CS, I am very offended by this post of yours. [/quote]

Tough.

Maybe you should read more of his posts.

Nothing I posted is irrelevant to this discussion.

I attack both. So sue me.

Cry me a river.

Give me a break…I don’t care if you disagree with me or not. If you do misrepresent what I post, I think I’ll be able to handle it without needing a Kleenex.

It is apparent you have no regard for me or other posters on this thread, and by extension the debate taking place. Makes me wonder why you bother to post. :unamused:

Bodo

Comrade, say "I’m sorry.

Bodo, say "it’s OK.

Now Bodo say “I’m sorry too.”

Comrade say"it’s ok."

Now hug each other. Good!

Now have a great weekend. :stuck_out_tongue:

bobepine

Nice try, bobpine, but I don’t think it can happen here, today…

I have no problem with any of the posters in that thread. There was some distraction caused by faulty punctuation, but by and large it was a few heavy weight punches being thrown. No real problem, no one poster was being sickening repetitive.

As for C.S: I don’t agree with his position, but he’s entitled to defend it in any way he pleases. His strong language is excusable, in that it’s obvious enuf that he feels strongly about this issue, and could have responded much more harshly.

Bodo: I think if one can’t stand the heat, then one should get outta the kitchen. Especially on this issue, which is one mean shitestorm…

I attack both. So sue me.[/quote] Message/ messenger: you know the score on that one Comrade Stalin. From your recently posted comments, I know how you feel, or purport to feel about lawyers. You don’t really want Bodo to compel you to spend excessive periods of time in their company, do you? Nah. (Naturally, the fine specimens who grace our forums are excluded from my ridiculous hypothetical. :wink: Don’t sue me, guys. :astonished:)

[quote=“Bodo”]It is apparent you have no regard for me or other posters on this thread, and by extension the debate taking place. Makes me wonder why you bother to post.[/quote] Some might say that Comrade Stalin and I don’t see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, including what constitutes a good discussion–I haven’t a clue where they’d get such an idea–but even so, I don’t see how you reach the conclusion that he has no regard for the issue under debate. It’s an issue he’s posted on in the past, and his position is consistent. Why assume he’s arguing in bad faith? :idunno:

Why is his tone in debate so winsome? :unamused: I don’t know the answer to that one either… and everyone knows that my tone is consistently pitch-perfect. :roflmao:

Why does he bother? I dunno (I’ve asked). But then, why do I? Why do you? These threads are often informative, or thought-provoking, but I’m not convinced that many of us are consistently open to being convinced. On this issue, if it’s going to happen, it’s probably going to take a different approach. (btw, MikeN, [url=The Morning After Pill & Politics - #153 by MikeN approach[/url].)

My two bits. Please, play nicely with one another.

[quote=“Jaboney”]

My two bits. Please, play nicely with one another.[/quote]Is it just me or does that sound a lot like saying"Be nice"… :wink:

bobepine

Oh yes, play nicely with bobepine too.

There was a time when “telling people to be nice to one another on a bulletin board” was quite unpopular. I’m glad things changed and I wonder what brought such changes to Forumosa. In any case, I raise my hat to admin and moderators for heading toward what I’ve always thought was the right direction for a “community.”

That’s my two cents.

bobepine

[quote=“Jaboney”]Oh yes, play nicely with bobepine too.[/quote]I lose it for no reasons you know. I snap. Not really my fault, it usually happens when the doctor screws up my prescription. :wink: So yes, be nice to me.

bobepine

I’ve always wondered about the logic of that one. I’m not delivering anyones message but my own. My opinions…my posts are mine. If someone doesn’t like my opinions, that’s fine too. My words represent no one but myself.

You ought to stop trying to depersonalize everything here. After all, we’re not in the halls of academia discussing 17th Century Restoration comedy.

And by the way, Bodo was offended my my comparison to the Nazis? Well…I guess he’s also offended by the Italian government minister Carlo Giovanardi who just compared Holland’s euthanasia policies with that of the Nazis. Some people get offended if the truth hits too close to home.

I repeat: Tough.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]

I repeat: Tough.[/quote]My mother’s BF always repeats himself. Sometimes a short statement, sometimes a whole story. It’s really funny but sometimes annoying too. I don’t think he realises it though so you’re not doing that bad yet but I sure would be careful not to make it a habit. Eventually you will not even notice that you’re repeating yourself. :stuck_out_tongue:

bobepine

How have I managed to miss this insightful, informative and entertaining thread… :beatnik: :idunno:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We don’t want to go down that road…we [i]really[/i] don’t. :laughing:

The policy predates me, but the logic seems clear: it cuts down on flame wars. I’d say simple decency and class play a role as well. Persons of good conscious should be able to disagree strongly without resorting to personal attacks. If your ideas are better, that should be enough. If I’m wrong, that too should be enough: there’s no need to add insult, and reason not to.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]You ought to stop trying to depersonalize everything here. After all, we’re not in the halls of academia discussing 17th Century Restoration comedy.[/quote] Is that “You” generally, or “You” Jaboney? If generally, take it up with those who crafted the rules. If me specifically, I only harp on the message/ messenger thing when a basic level of respect was obviously absent, or uninformed observers might misread friendly banter as the standard for discourse. We’re not in the halls of academia; but then, nor are we in the latrine.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]
I’ve always wondered about the logic of that one. I’m not delivering anyones message but my own.
My opinions…my posts are mine. If someone doesn’t like my opinions, that’s fine too. My words represent no one but myself.

You ought to stop trying to depersonalize everything here. After all, we’re not in the halls of academia discussing 17th Century Restoration comedy.[/quote]

I concur.

The mods on this forum (and yes, this includes YOU, Jaboney), can be insufferably precious and condescending at times. Sorry if that’s getting too personal for your liking, but, well… tough.

I say there Mr. Lout, I do believe we IP-mods are doing the utmost to protect the rights of each and every poster in IP. It is by no means easy to tell any one poster to change his or her posting style. However, when dreadful questions of maternal histories or colon-clenching questions of cranial legitimacy crop up, it is our sworn obligation to seek an end to such…shall we say…things.

That said, IP is full of unique characters, and none have been so severely chastised that his or her own on-line personality has been irrevocably watered down. We are, as they say, who we are still, and that is good.

Peace

:wink: :rainbow:

jdsufferablyprecious
Co-IPmod

jd, keep that up and I’ll be forced to use my antlers!

[quote=“LagerLout”]The mods on this forum (and yes, this includes YOU, Jaboney), can be insufferably precious and condescending at times. Sorry if that’s getting too personal for your liking, but, well… tough.[/quote]If I were jdsmith, Hobbes, or Durins Bane, I’d be deeply insulted by that comment. jdsmith’s witty, Hobbes is so nice he could have given Mr. Rogers lessons in neighbourliness, and Durins Bane cracks a mean whip; if at all, none is nearly as precious and condescending as I. (Seriously, if you’d seen any of them taking afternoon tea, or attending to a reading of proper literature, well, I wouldn’t have to explain.) :unamused:

As for I, sticks and stones, yadda yadda yadda, and thanks for the constructive criticism: it is always appreciated. :rainbow:

:wink:

No, no. Really, Comrade Stalin asked a question, I answered it. I stated my take on the rules (re: message/ messenger), which is one thing, and my standards for my own conduct, which are another. I expect him to largely abide by one, not the the other. (And why should he care? He’s an intelligent man, why should he–or anyone–adopt my standards? I don’t know. I’m not asking him to. Sharing simply seemed the best way to answer his post.)

“Oh, brother!”

:laughing: :rainbow: