Feedback regarding Forumosa's Moderators 2001

quote:
Originally posted by dbbowman: I liked it better during the free speech days. I am not down with this whole hard line moderator thing, but whatever.

However, Angst be warned - now that I have seen you picture on the side banner - I will be looking for you _______ (I would say poopyhead, but I don’t want the lifetime ban from the internet)

quote:
Originally posted by Placard Joe: Seems like about 10 posts from this thread got pinched. Am I wrong?
quote:
Originally posted by Angst: Hey Joe - I didn't touch anything, although I recall that "Irritated" doubleposted this thread - that is he put the exact same post somewhere else. I don't even remember where, but it was probably in another forum or I would have deleted the gratuitous post. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
quote:
Originally posted by dbbowman: Is it my imagination or has there been a significant decrease in the number of posts (entertaining or otherwise) since Angst has taken this "hard-line" approach? Curious : Do you guys keep stats on the number of posts, and did you see a decrease in postings and/or hits from around that time?
quote:
Originally posted by : It's your imagination. The discussions have improved since the moderators started enforcing hte rules more. Hallelujah!
quote:
Originally posted by dbbowman: One message in the forum in twelve hours.... seems like a decrease to me.

Just finished a bit of housecleaning here - had two “Moderator” threads going at the same time. Three if you count “Oriented - Dead In the Water”. Think I’ll let that one sit, tho.
If you want to discuss an issue, it might be worth a peek at past threads, just so that we don’t run duplicate or even multiple threads with the same or almost the same topics…Due to software limitations, I wasn’t able to just attach the beginning of one thread to the end of the other, so I used the “Quote” feature instead. Tedious, but you gotta give credit where it’s due, right?

One thing I’d like to ask the posters of Open Forum is how you feel about the “Poll” feature. Unfortunately, due to software limitations, I cannot insert a poll into an interesting thread after the fact. I can only create a poll with a new thread topic. So, if you have a topic that you would like to see discussed and voted on, e-mail me, with the thread topic you would like to see, the poll question you would like to ask, and the answers/options you would like to see offered as possible vote choices. Oh, almost forgot - due to - you guessed it - software limitations, only registered members can vote in a poll or view the poll’s thread. Should we just forget the whole idea, then? I’d take a poll , but I want to hear from the unregistered posters as well as the registered ones. Let me know how you feel.

I just tried to post a new message annonymously in the open forum, but got this message: FYI
“Sorry, we have no one registered with that name. Use your browser’s back button to try again.”
Is this a glitch, or are unregistered visitors no longer allowed to start new threads in the open forum? I added this to the “moderators” post b/c I had to add it somewhere (couldn’t start a new thread!), and wanted to say that if this is a new policy it’s one that should be given some more consideration.

hi slk, we have not changed the policy about allowing unregistered visitors to post in the Open Forum. Not yet, at least, but the “Star Chamber” does talk about it from time to time

What you encountered does sound like a glitch, so it would help to hear more from you about it – could you email your anwers to the following questions to problems@oriented.org ?

[]Were you sharing the PC you were using with someone else who may have visited the ORIENTED Forums? Or, relatedly, do you log in under registered alias from time to time??[]Did you try refreshing your screen or clearing memory (by restarting Windows) before atempting to post as an unregistered visitor?What configuration do you use? Browser/Operating System/Type of Internet Connection/RAM size[/list]

So how do we use this information? Well, assuming everything seems normal from your end, we can continue isolating the problem on ours. I’ve been making changes to the code of this forum lately – changes which might affect the speed and reliability of other parts of the system. Your feedback and bug reports guide our efforts.

On that note, in the future, please post such difficulties in the Visitor Feedback forum (click here). Angst might stick me for posting off-topic on this thread