Feedback regarding Forumosa's Moderators 2005

Amen.

This discussion may never end - I remember making the same argument 6 years ago! And back then we were only “concerned” about 3 of the 5 people who regularly visited back then (2 eventually became moderators and one an admin!)

I’m glad that hatch used this feedback forum to complain. Bu’s “you shouldn’t care” response is regrettable. Hopefully, we can make him think twice about his decision.

But that said, if he doesn’t change his mind, and his co-mods are cool with that, then that’s that, imoho

That is very silly to base your whole decision on whether or not to post here on one floundered thread.

I apologize if this site site doesn’t meet your standards…geez.

That we are even here reviewing a decision that a mod made should be a testament to the vibrancy of this site.

Loretta, logically you therefore agree that complaining about the moderators is good for this site. It adds diversity to the website, and keeps the mods on their toes. Nothing will change, thats the human condition, but folks love to niggle and mither about the powers that be.

Cliques? I reckon!

Sorry, if I hurt your feelings on this one Hatch.

I guess my “I don’t care” was pretty abrupt. :blush:

To me, this isn’t really about the rules (Hatch didn’t break any) but about what Forums we move things into. I skimmed the thread and moved it into the Flounder Forum. It seems that some people think that this is a punishment, but really it isn’t. Well, maybe I should have kept it in the Open Forum. I mistook Hatch’s post for somehting along the lines of ‘My imaginary friend’. I also looked at the thread as a whole which was mostly throw-away comments and pettty squabbling.

My “I don’t care”, really means, it’s not that important. Not worth caring too much about. So the post is in the Open Forum or the Flounder Forum. What’s the big deal? I’ve Floundered myself before. It’s nothing personal.

Some people love reading the fun chatty stuff in the Flounder Forum. Some people start posts there. Others might be busy, and just ignore the whole thing. That’s why we have different forums. There’s often a fine line between what should be in Open or Flounder, and I usually make a pretty quick decision about it. There’s sure to be inconsistencies, and errors. Same with the ‘borderline’ between Open Forum and Living in Taiwan (and other forums). Sorry about that, but really I don’t think it matters terribly.

Brian

I think it has to do with shelf life Bu. We don’t like knowing that are words won’t be here in perpetuity. At least those of us with fragile, sensitive egos.

You apology is appreciated however. As is all mods work.

Cheers.

Absolutely, but if anyone complains about me I’ll have them banned from the internet forever.

And where’s my beer?

Loretta, next time you want to post something brilliant like that, could you pm me with it so I can post it myself please because what you wrote described exactly how I feel about this. Great post!

Again, thanks to everyone here for their opinions. I think that Goose Egg also said something worth paying attention to:[quote=“G.E.”]This discussion may never end[/quote] I think he’s right. Simply because this is the feedback forum. People are not going to agree with moderators all the time. That’s because moderators are just people and posters are also people. Moderators post here too and they work as volunteers. I truly appreciate that perspective personally and to that respect, I wrote this:[quote=“I”]I would like to thank other posters for posting their opinions. Regardless if you agree with me or not. As brian said, it’s really not that important. It’s just a thread. So no hard feelings here but perhaps a need for some clarification. [/quote] I mean that. I’d be an hypocrite not to in fact. I’m asking Bu Lai En to “be nice” and I should return the favor. I’m asking him to understand I’m not like him so I should again return the favor.

This said, if the guardian angel thread stays floundered, so be it. I’m not offended to the fact that Brian disagrees with me here because that’s what people do on a forum is exchange opinions, jokes, information and help.

Also, another thing I need to add and it is intended for the posters in this thread who are once again suggesting that I’m oversensitive and that I make a big deal out of this. Saying things like “how is this a big deal?”

Is it a big deal to you? Why are you posting? Seriously guys if you think it’s irrelevant, why get involved? To lecture me about not lecturing you? I wrote this:[quote=“I”]My question would then be the following: Why would you ask me to let go of something, (whatever it is…)if you can’t stop compulsively posting comments that are addressing me personally in a feedback thread and in a guardian angel thread of all? Again. Let it go yourselves.[/quote] and this:[quote=“I”]
ps.What do you post for? I post for fun. Nice is “fun”. Mean is “not fun”.[/quote]Again, let it go please. We don’t agree. So what? It’s not important. It is not a big deal. It really isn’t. Let it go and I promise you won’t even need to tell me anymore that I just keep talking about Forumosa… Well I tried talking about guardian angels… Better luck next time and again no hard feelings, we are just people. Wait! That didn’t sound like me? Let me rephrase: “We are just people” and we are all stuck on the same big sinking ship together. :slight_smile: (I mean that btw.)

This is the feed back forum and I’m exercising my right to post my opinion. As long as I am within the rules and am respectful, where is the problem? Again, that’s what we do here. Do a quick search and see how many times this kind of arguments has happened in this forum. Goose Egg wrote this: [quote=“G.E.”]I remember making the same argument 6 years ago! And back then we were only “concerned” about 3 of the 5 people who regularly visited back then (2 eventually became moderators and one an admin!)

I’m glad that hatch used this feedback forum to complain.

But that said, if he(Bu Lai En) doesn’t change his mind, and his co-mods are cool with that, then that’s that, imoho[/quote] Sounds like fair play to me.

To Bu Lai En. Your apology is accepted but not necessary. You may want to do a system check up or something though because you are behaving a lot like a human. And that is a serious concern. Just my 2 cents. :wink:

To Goose Egg, thank you for your post, your “feedback” is appreciated. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“Ironman”]
But, it only takes a whimsical floundering for me to review the decision to post again.
[/quote]

That is very silly to base your whole decision on whether or not to post here on one floundered thread.

I apologize if this site site doesn’t meet your standards…geez.

That we are even here reviewing a decision that a mod made should be a testament to the vibrancy of this site.[/quote]

To sum up, my particular ongoing problem is accepting that I may have posts floundered on a “whim”. Seeing Brian seeming to do just that or as I think he has explained in recent posts he just acted quickly in his overworked underpaid capacity pulled me back into that “miffed” frame of mind that no doubt Hatch was in as this transpired.

I then looked at Brians “tough luck” reaction and was thinking “yes, a tougher hide may be the answer”

As perhaps you can see now, its more a matter of deciding if I meet the sites standards.
Happy hour involvement only for now . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Great to see Hatch and others working through their problems in a well managed way. Good job :bravo:

I like it when some moderators tell you that they want to flounder you, even before they hit the button. If the post is borderline, well, I’d go back and edit and make sure that the post doesn’t get floundered.

I respect that.

Although, I may not like it. :wink:

Play inside the rules. Add something to the thread.

Give them what they want to see. :wink: But be sneaky and do what you want to do anyway :smiling_imp:

No point in getting all :fume: over a forum. :blush: (I should follow this)

[quote=“Bassman”]I like it when some moderators tell you that they want to flounder you, even before they hit the button. If the post is borderline, well, I’d go back and edit and make sure that the post doesn’t get floundered.

I respect that.[/quote]

I think this is an interesting comment.

Do others agree?

[quote=“Hobbes”][quote=“Bassman”]I like it when some moderators tell you that they want to flounder you, even before they hit the button. If the post is borderline, well, I’d go back and edit and make sure that the post doesn’t get floundered.

I respect that.[/quote]

I think this is an interesting comment.

Do others agree?[/quote]It is interesting. I would agree if it really happens, but do people really have the time?

I just couldn’t expect you to go through the extra trouble of doing that, especially for someone who wasn’t careful or thoughtful to begin with. It must be a very borderline case, and still meaningful or worthwhile enough not to simply kill it outright

Flounders are bottom feeders:
Disunited, unfaithful.
They have nothing more to keep them in a thread
other than a meagre message
Which is just about enough to make 'em respond to you,
But not enough to make 'em get banned for you.*

Hello. My name is Gumper and I’ve been Floundered. It’s been 3 months since my last Flounder even though I occasionally post in a previously Floundered thread. I lurk in The Flounder and can be considered incorrigable. A Flounder of the worst kind: A vicarious Flounder wannabe.

When I have been Floundered, I’ve copied my original post from the sacred Forum of Flounders, amended it to remove the fishy smell, and reposted it right back up there on the surface.

So I ask yinz, What’sa big deal, you Flounder-Faces? Getting Floundered pretty near gaurantees your post will get more reads, responses, rebuttals and ribaldery than if it was left to float up there on the surface 'mongst a sea of trifles.

And in case yinz disn’t knowd dis, The Flounder is a distant cousin of The Gumper. Don’t take anything seriously and you will gump and flound your way to happiness.

Oh, before I go, a question: Is that Goose Egg guy one of the original Flounders of this site? One of our Flounding Fathers as it were? :laughing:

Okay, okay, I’m outtie.

*Liberally embellished version of a John Cale classic

I actually had an experience once. I was skiing in Canada and lost control, went right into the forest, thought I was dead meat. I must have been out cold for a few seconds, who knows, but when I opened my eyes there was this beautiful girl standing over me asking if I was all right, and as soon as I said yes she disappeared. She has never reappeared but I still keep a look out for her. It was all very surreal.

So yeah this shit does happen.

How many posts have been made where THEY were about the poster? I think of quite a few from a couple of regulars who use this board as their personal think tank. Thing is, when those posts are floundered and something like this is, it makes the whispers about Forumosa.com being a ‘clique’ and such a reality…

I don’t see why people seem to take such offense at being Floundered. It’s not like it’s being deleted, and it’s not some kind of “Ooooh you’ve been naughty” thing. Would the same people be bitching if their post got moved from, say, Arts & Entertainment to Sports, Fun, & Games? It’s just moving a thread to where the mod feels it fits better. It’s not a deletion, and a post/thread doesn’t need to have broken any rules to end up in Flounder, nor does it being in Flounder mean it’s broken any rules.

But it is like being deleted. Its just that rather than an immediate delete, Floundered posts get a delayed delete. But, deleted they get.

Big Fluffy Matthew is a bugerhead. He can be really funny, but sometimes gets down on himself and depressed because he would rather be home in sunny old England. And he is a bugerhead.

[quote=“Richardm”]Big Fluffy Matthew is a bugerhead. He can be really funny, but sometimes gets down on himself and depressed because he would rather be home in sunny old England. And he is a bugerhead.[/quote]What’s a “bugerhead” ? Do you mean buggerhead, burgerhead, or boogerhead ? If you can be a little more specific, I can try to take your critism on board, and try not to be such a bugerhead in future.

It’s not so much about it being floundered as it is about how inconstant things can be when deciding on what gets floundered and not…

:astonished: Me too. Small world.

BroonActuality