Feedback to microsoft.com

Is there any way that an intelligent computer user can make oral (or semi-written) “feedback” to microsoft.com about problems/defects with their products, and actually have such comments seriously considered?

I have a number of complaints/suggestions about MS WORD and other Microsoft products, but a lot of these things I would really not even know how to write down. Is it possible to have an interview with Microsoft company representatives in Taiwan to discuss such problems?

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Suggestions? Serious replies only please.

Two years ago I called Taiwan Microsoft wanting to give them some
helpful suggestions. “What’s your serial number” they snapped. “How
should I know? The software was installed when I bought the
computer”.

Anyways, I took the GNU/Linux challenge and the promise was fulfilled.
Let’s examine this email I got today.

quote:
From: Richard Stallman Subject: Re: next-error was never ready for makefiles To: jidanni@ms46... Cc: [emacs-devel@gnu.org](mailto:emacs-devel@gnu.org) X-Sent: 1 day, 14 hours, 26 minutes, 9 seconds ago Reply-To: [rms@gnu.org](mailto:rms@gnu.org)

I have an idea for how Make and Bash can solve that,
so I suggested it to the maintainers.

Not bad, a personal reply from the Chief GNUisance himself.

Naturally I’ll be happy to report the next bug I find too. It helps
build free software, my contribution to the generations to come.
(warm sparkley music starts in the background)

Why don’t you sit in on a Linux meeting? The average GNU/Linux user
doesn’t worry about viruses or virus detection software.

Why is that ?

I don’t know. Are computers supposed to get viruses? I am a mediocre
GNU/Linux home user for a few years. Sure I get viruses in the mail,
but nothing special happens then. Maybe ask on
news:comp.os.linux.security

When to compress hard drive? I am wondering if it is better to
check the “compress this drive” box…

On GNU/Linux we don’t have the defragmentation ritual, as
fragmentation is low, if that’s what he’s talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by Hartzell: Is there any way that an intelligent computer user can make oral (or semi-written) "feedback" to microsoft.com about problems/defects with their products, and actually have such comments seriously considered?
Forget it. A while ago, MS had a support package for business customers who could buy six(?) questions for 500DEM (in Germany). Shortly after that was known there was a joke: "Hello? Is that the Microsoft hotline?" "Yes, you still got five questions left." If business customers who purchase large amounts of licenses have to spend about 300US$ on six or so problems, do you really expect they will care for an unknown lonely computer user?
quote[quote]I have a number of complaints/suggestions about MS WORD and other Microsoft products, but a lot of these things I would really not even know how to write down. Is it possible to have an interview with Microsoft company representatives in Taiwan to discuss such problems?[/quote] Richard, we all know you have spent an incredible amount of time annoying (how else would they notice you...) politicians and other persons to change things and you really achieved a lot - but don't expect that will work here too. MS probably knows of all the problems as their hotline should be flooded with similar complaints each day. (If only one percent of suffering Windows users is going to call them, their lines will run hot...) The best advice I can give you: Find other software to use. I suggested Staroffice (5.2a is still free) to you before, meanwhile Openoffice1.0 is out. You can start with the Windows version if you don't want to change the OS. If you are tired of Windows too, I'm pretty sure Dan would be glad to give you a personal introduction to Linux at your home...:-) You might also want to have a look at Apple computers. Yes, they are more expensive - at least, if one only compares MHz and Megabucks. But they ARE easier and much more pleasant to use. Maybe you should also take this "stress" factor into calculation when buying the next computer...

Occasionally my friends have similar sentiments.

According to what a Taiwanese friend told me, this Microsoft software is produced by a small company based in Redmond, Washington.

Perhaps if all the members of forumosa.com get together and threaten to start our own software company, Microsoft will get nervous. They might set up a support line then.

Back in the day, WordPerfect was the leading word-processing package, from a standalone dedicated company who offered 24-hour tech support for free. Yeah, for free. On a toll-free 1-800 line. They made their contact info very easy to find. Oh, almost forgot, they actually knew the answers to your questions and finished by saying, “Thanks for calling us and for using WordPerfect.”

Since then, it’s all been downhill in the IT industry.

Good luck, Mr. Quixote.

Try
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?WS=Wish

But don’t expect an answer. A friend of mine who works there says they do pay attention to feedback, but he has explained to me many times how difficult it is to make a change in their software for various reasons. They have their own priorities, like rolling out newer versions to suck in more money, and currently, improving their browser’s security (but even more importantly, the image of security).

Yes.

[quote]and actually have such comments seriously considered?[/quote]Not on your life.